• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Jim Bradley Counter in action

I believe this is the only clip around of the Jim Bradley speed ball competition counter in action. Can someone D/L that clip and play it in slow motion and check the accuracy? Is it counting the double strikes acurrately?

I'd really like to try one of these. At current exchange rates, it's only $217 USD

Jim Bradley is Australian Made Boxing Bags, Boxing Rings, Speedballs, Floor to Ceiling Balls and anything Boxing Equipment. We are also able to custom build boxing equipment to suit your needs.

Last edited by Tim; 07-18-2010, 08:46 AM.
  • Tim

• Jan 2006

Another vid:

Comment

• metaldad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2007

wow........................

Yeah Tim only $217 of serious bag and burn! Hmmm........how 'bout a loan 'ol buddy 'ol pal? LMFAO!!
      sigpic

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
        Yeah Tim only $217 of serious bag and burn! Hmmm........how 'bout a loan 'ol buddy 'ol pal? LMFAO!!
        I hear you MD It's not a trivial chunk o' change, but the AUD list price is $250, so this is a case where the exchange rate works in our favor. Plus I think being in the US we wouldn't have to pay the VAT Price of $275.

Where I'm going with this is for SPEED B.A.G. II - we really want to have some sort of charity "Speed Bag Challenge". This would be the easiest way to judge such an event.

Comment

• crapshoot
          • Apr 2010

Past post on the counter.

I agree that the counter probably works on light beam tech that counts when the bag breaks the beam. The problem I see is that you need 2 sets (one in front and one in back) to count all the rebounds (or double the count). That of course presents the problem of what you are counting; rebounds or hits? With this system, it seems irrelevant whether you are hitting with 2 fists or single. A newb like me hitting two-fisted will get outscored by a veteran punching with one hand.

A pair of gloves with impact sensors would give you a more accurate count of hits per minute. Although combining the two measurements (hits and rebounds) would allow for interesting measurements.

EDIT: A link to a similar product and these two links to a gym in Australia using the Bradley counter: link 1 and link 2

EDIT 2: Can someone take another look at both his videos? Is it me or does he have fewer rebounds to the front of his board in the first video where he hit 533 than in his next video where he hit 602? That would lead me to believe, all things being equal, the sensors have a triangulating pair of beams that measure the impacts on the opposing side.

and as an aside, are the Bradley boards small?
          Last edited by crapshoot; 07-18-2010, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Guess all that matters is that everybody gets counted accurately each time, that a "602" score means something. If it is known that side hits won't register, or that this type of competition is restricted to double hitting, or whatever, then you would want to avoid side hits. Everyone should know in advance how to hit to get their best score according to the official rules -- then let the chips fall where they may. Would be nice to have the Jim Bradley unit (or equivalent), Tim, being that it's the standard down under. The "judge" can be the same worldwide, and we can post our results and have them immediately understood for what they are.
            Last edited by paranday; 07-18-2010, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by crapshoot View Post
              I agree that the counter probably works on light beam tech that counts when the bag breaks the beam.
              I'm actually thinking it is accelerometer or impact sensor based. I'm pretty sure there is a sensor you attach to the platform.

Check this out. Here's a video of the "Vibration" app (from Diffraction Limited Design LLC) on iPhone. The iphone is mounted on a hunk of clay on the cage. The accelerometer is clearly accurate enough to get the raw data (sampling rate, etc.). Some sort of algorithm would be needed to process the data though. You can't count rebounds just looking at the display. Also this app is limited to collecting data for only 10secs with a .05s logging rate (sampling rate goes as high as 100Hz though)

EDIT: A link to a similar product and these two links to a gym in Australia using the Bradley counter: link 1 and link 2
              Interesting

Originally posted by paranday View Post
              Guess all that matters is that everybody gets counted accurately each time, that a "602" score means something. If it is known that side hits won't register, or that this type of competition is restricted to double hitting, or whatever, then you would want to avoid side hits. Everyone should know in advance how to hit to get their best score according to the official rules -- then let the chips fall where they may. Would be nice to have the Jim Bradley unit (or equivalent), Tim, being that it's the standard down under. The "judge" can be the same worldwide, and we can post our results and have them immediately understood for what they are.
              Good point. It's an impartial judge and that is what would matter. Would be nice if were also accurate though

Comment

• crapshoot
                • Apr 2010

The only reason I am leaning toward the light sensor conclusion is the 2 posts on the boards. On the site they are mounted on the front and the in the videos they are in the back.

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by crapshoot View Post
                  Past post on the counter.

I agree that the counter probably works on light beam tech that counts when the bag breaks the beam. The problem I see is that you need 2 sets (one in front and one in back) to count all the rebounds (or double the count). That of course presents the problem of what you are counting; rebounds or hits? With this system, it seems irrelevant whether you are hitting with 2 fists or single. A newb like me hitting two-fisted will get outscored by a veteran punching with one hand.

A pair of gloves with impact sensors would give you a more accurate count of hits per minute. Although combining the two measurements (hits and rebounds) would allow for interesting measurements.

EDIT 2: Can someone take another look at both his videos? Is it me or does he have fewer rebounds to the front of his board in the first video where he hit 533 than in his next video where he hit 602? That would lead me to believe, all things being equal, the sensors have a triangulating pair of beams that measure the impacts on the opposing side.

and as an aside, are the Bradley boards small?
                  And that is exactly the problem when trying to do a "time and speed event" on the speed bag, counting HITS or the number of REBOUNDS. That will quickly highlight the difference between combinations that require 1,2 or 3 rebounds. I can't imagine any machine that will count every single unpunched (swinging) rebound, so only the fist/elbow strikes would count.

The shown combination of continous FDP ' ' ' FDP ' ' '....continue will ultimately require more "unpunched" rebounds than someone doing
                  FDP ' ' RDP ' '.....continue because there is one less unpunched rebound in the double bounce than triplet rebound. Over time (one minute) the first combination will have to allow for many more unpunched rebounds to occur in the same amount of time. Both of these combinations will lose to a non-stop continuous Front Fist Roll, which has NO unpunched rebounds, so every rebound will count.

I think the only way to hold a competition with this that is fair is to choose several combinations every contestant can do, and have them all do that combination on the same bag, swivel and air pressure. Like below.

Basic Rhythm competition, one minute.
                  Front Double Punching, one minute. (FDP ' ' ' FDP)
                  Front Fist Rolling, one minute (F-Roll, non-stop)
                  Single fist Pass through (FCP ' ' RSP), one minute.
                  Double Fist Pass through (FDP ' ' RDP), one minute.

The final number represented after any of these could be compared among competitors doing the very same combination.

Trying to compare scores between combinations would be almost impossible due to the different number of rebounds required.

** you could add as many different "combo competitions" as you want, using Double, Triple Elbow strikes, shadow punches etc.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Roc Stone
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Oct 2007

A speebag pentathlon! I like it

I guess it's something that's bound to happen. And it may even drag a lot of the old veterans out
                    Last edited by Roc Stone; 07-19-2010, 07:45 AM.
                    sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...