X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bruce
    • Dec 2009

Bruce's first video

Nothing too fancy... Just a few of the basic punches thrown in, and plug for Speed B.A.G 2010 in the beginning. Apologies for the video quality- not sure what happened between my computer and youtube.

• crapshoot
    • Apr 2010

The only time I see a vid problem is when you are hitting the bag. Obviously, you've matched it's harmonic frequency and it's starting to phase shift inter-dimensionally

Seriously, looks pretty solid. Nice.

BTW, is it me or is that bag hitting past the edge of the board? That carabiner really puts some length on the arc. I have the same one ("new design") but I've also got one of the previous design.

Comment

• fingers
      Speed Bag Guru
      • May 2008

Nice work Bruce!! elbows and reverse fist-rolls..quality baggin!!

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Nice!

Hey Bruce! Nice job of punching, considering the amount of vibration you're dealing with. ...I wonder if there's a way to "beef up" that platform by sandwiching another circle of wood (particle board?) to it to make it sturdier... along with stronger metal struts angling down from the wall to the platform, or whatever they're called (sorry for my lack of knowledge when it comes to stuff like this...). I'm thinkin' that you'd get a much better rebound of the bag if there was less vibration.

But, in any case, in my humble opinion, you're looking really good. You've got the proper positioning of your elbows, which is always the hardest thing to remember in the beginning, but crucial to proper execution of the different punches.

Nice job of reverse rolls and those side punches. Dang, I still can't figure out how to do those, for some reason.

Oh, btw, I love your avatar!
        sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
        I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

OK Bruce! Solid punching and good combo control. Right now I see your timing if great and you keep consistent flow and speed. I could be picky on form and movement, but all things are fixed by practice.

Keep working and thanks for the video.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Biff
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Very good first video, Bruce, from a punching perspective. The lines on the bag while punching are wild, though. I don't know if that was your camera or a glitch when uploading to YT

MsDeville, brings up a good point - adding another layer (or two) of drum material may help the vibration issue. Also, you may want to nail in some wooden cross pieces that extend between the wall 2 x 4s. It looks like there is at least 24" between the studs.

Take the plywood down, nail the wooden cross pieces (at least two) into the 2 x 4s, then reattach the plywood, screw the mounting brackets through the plywood into the cross pieces, and then attach the platform.

I'm no construction expert, but I would think that should eliminate much of the vibration. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Hey Bruce, you seemed to have a good grasp on all the basics, steady and solid. Nice job! Is that bag an everlast? What size is it?
              T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• Bruce
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by crapshoot View Post
                The only time I see a vid problem is when you are hitting the bag. Obviously, you've matched it's harmonic frequency and it's starting to phase shift inter-dimensionally

Seriously, looks pretty solid. Nice.

BTW, is it me or is that bag hitting past the edge of the board? That carabiner really puts some length on the arc. I have the same one ("new design") but I've also got one of the previous design.
                You know, I never noticed before but you're right... the end of the bag does extend past the board...

Originally posted by fingers View Post
                Nice work Bruce!! elbows and reverse fist-rolls..quality baggin!!
                Thank you- coming from a veteran bagger, it's much appreciated.

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                Hey Bruce! Nice job of punching, considering the amount of vibration you're dealing with. ...I wonder if there's a way to "beef up" that platform by sandwiching another circle of wood (particle board?) to it to make it sturdier... along with stronger metal struts angling down from the wall to the platform, or whatever they're called (sorry for my lack of knowledge when it comes to stuff like this...). I'm thinkin' that you'd get a much better rebound of the bag if there was less vibration.

But, in any case, in my humble opinion, you're looking really good. You've got the proper positioning of your elbows, which is always the hardest thing to remember in the beginning, but crucial to proper execution of the different punches.

Nice job of reverse rolls and those side punches. Dang, I still can't figure out how to do those, for some reason.

Oh, btw, I love your avatar!
                Thanks for your input regarding the vibration. It's fine for anything forward facing, but as soon as you put any reverse punches in or start side punching, it starts vibrating pretty good. I was struggling with reverse rolling for a period of time, and Alan gave me some good advice on the subject.

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                OK Bruce! Solid punching and good combo control. Right now I see your timing if great and you keep consistent flow and speed. I could be picky on form and movement, but all things are fixed by practice.

Keep working and thanks for the video.
                Thanks Alan, appreciate the feedback and encouragement. Any constructive criticism you could provide on form and movement would be great. Thanks again.

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                Very good first video, Bruce, from a punching perspective. The lines on the bag while punching are wild, though. I don't know if that was your camera or a glitch when uploading to YT

MsDeville, brings up a good point - adding another layer (or two) of drum material may help the vibration issue. Also, you may want to nail in some wooden cross pieces that extend between the wall 2 x 4s. It looks like there is at least 24" between the studs.

Take the plywood down, nail the wooden cross pieces (at least two) into the 2 x 4s, then reattach the plywood, screw the mounting brackets through the plywood into the cross pieces, and then attach the platform.

I'm no construction expert, but I would think that should eliminate much of the vibration. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
                Yeah, not sure what's up with the video... was fine on the computer, and then appeared to get distorted once on YouTube. I'll look into making the adjustments you recommended. Good advice- Thanks.

Originally posted by TJ_MaTee View Post
                Hey Bruce, you seemed to have a good grasp on all the basics, steady and solid. Nice job! Is that bag an everlast? What size is it?
                Thanks, appreciate it. It is an Everlast- the size on the container it came in said "small" so whatever that translates to. I was kind of disappointed when I pumped it up- I honestly thought it would have been smaller.

Thanks everyone for the comments- I appreciate your feedback and value your advice.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Great job! Very solid and controlled!
                  You are moving between all combos with great confidence!
                  How long have you been baggin'?
                  BAG ON!

Comment

• Bruce
                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                    Great job! Very solid and controlled!
                    You are moving between all combos with great confidence!
                    How long have you been baggin'?
                    BAG ON!
                    Thanks... appreciate the words of encouragement. I started bagging in mid January and picked up a copy of Alan's 2 hour training video shortly thereafter. I'm hoping that if I drop enough hints, I'll get a copy of the Speedbag Bible for father's day from my wife.

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Feb 2010

Wow, that's a first video to be really proud of!

I noticed a whole variety of techniques in there, you seem to have grasped them all really well, I don't think there was a single mishit! For a short time, it's really great progress

You might want to try out a smaller bag as well, bringing the belly of the bag up a bit for you might make a difference? I have a feeling that I started out on a setup which was too low for me and trying a smaller bag was a bit of a revelation. It helped improve some of the techniques especially the elbows stuff cos my arms stopped tending to drag downwards.

Look forward to your next video!

Comment

• Bruce
                        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Mrs Mitts View Post
                        Wow, that's a first video to be really proud of!

I noticed a whole variety of techniques in there, you seem to have grasped them all really well, I don't think there was a single mishit! For a short time, it's really great progress

You might want to try out a smaller bag as well, bringing the belly of the bag up a bit for you might make a difference? I have a feeling that I started out on a setup which was too low for me and trying a smaller bag was a bit of a revelation. It helped improve some of the techniques especially the elbows stuff cos my arms stopped tending to drag downwards.

Look forward to your next video!
                        Sorry for the late reply... At your suggestion, I purchased the smaller black and yellow pro bag from everlast and I moved up the platform a bit. I could have swore that I had it at chin level, when I first mounted it, but looking at the video, it seems like it must have settled a couple inches. Thanks for the advice, appreciate it!

Comment

• The Baggist
                          Vert Baggin' Master
                          • May 2009

Very nice work Bruce. Great hitting all around the bag. I think once you take care of the vibration problem you'll find it even easier than your making it look already!! keep us posted

Comment

• Tim
                            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I'm late to the game.... great stuff Bruce. You have a very solid grasp of all the basics. IMO you're ready for the next size smaller bag. It will alleviate some of the rebound arc of the carabiner style swivel , and be less vibration. Great work. I'll subscribe to your youtube feed.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...