X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

spdyTommyT has brass balls-swivels

I originally started with a Everlast chain link swivel. I removed those pieces and replaced with a brass ball and hook. I also added a custom plastic retaining washer and a custom rubber o ring, both to reduce noise, wear, and to give the ball a good socket to sit in. This, my second design, has about thirty hours on it and I'm still banging. I use a vaseline/ baby oil mix to lube my swivel and I think it works fine. I'm making a vid to show what I've done and I hope I can help everyone stuck with this insane swivel problem. I'm only a trainee on this forum but I'm already doing quad combos with this advanced swivel design.
    Attached Files
    The Speed Ball should be in every hall
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

STT, welcome to the forum. Very informative first post!! And, very creative design. I don't think anyone else has tried that combo of materials. I look forward to your video on what you have done. Once you feel comfortable, let us see your speedbagging skills as well.

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Originally posted by spdyTommyT View Post
      I originally started with a Everlast chain link swivel. I removed those pieces and replaced with a brass ball and hook. I also added a custom plastic retaining washer and a custom rubber o ring, both to reduce noise, wear, and to give the ball a good socket to sit in. This, my second design, has about thirty hours on it and I'm still banging. I use a vaseline/ baby oil mix to lube my swivel and I think it works fine. I'm making a vid to show what I've done and I hope I can help everyone stuck with this insane swivel problem. I'm only a trainee on this forum but I'm already doing quad combos with this advanced swivel design.
      Hey Tommy T, That looks like a really cool design, I'd anxious see more pics (vid) of all the parts you mentioned (plastic retaining washer, o-ring, brass ball and hook), was the ball and hook custom made? Sounds like you've got some backround in that kinda stuff. Just wondering how that softer metal (Brass) effects speed, friction, wear etc. It's definitely an innovative design.
      With this huge knowledge base here on the forum, it's cool to see new
      ways of inventing the wheel. Thanks for the post my man.
      T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

Thanks for the welcome, B.

Originally posted by Biff View Post
        STT, welcome to the forum. Very informative first post!! And, very creative design. I don't think anyone else has tried that combo of materials. I look forward to your video on what you have done. Once you feel comfortable, let us see your speedbagging skills as well.

Comment

• spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by TJ_MaTee View Post
          Hey Tommy T, That looks like a really cool design, I'd anxious see more pics (vid) of all the parts you mentioned (plastic retaining washer, o-ring, brass ball and hook), was the ball and hook custom made? Sounds like you've got some backround in that kinda stuff. Just wondering how that softer metal (Brass) effects speed, friction, wear etc. It's definitely an innovative design.
          With this huge knowledge base here on the forum, it's cool to see new
          ways of inventing the wheel. Thanks for the post my man.
          Thanks for the comment TJ. After I removed the ch.link swivel every piece was custom made. So far there are no signs of wear and the o ring doesn't allow the ball to make contact with the housing. The only part that makes metal to metal contact is the eye-bolt and the housing.

Comment

• fingers
            Speed Bag Guru
            • May 2008

Hi Tommy T!! welcome to the forum that was a really interesting first post especially as one of the guys is in the process of designing a new swivel would be great to see and hear it in action!! Fingers.
            Last edited by fingers; 04-10-2010, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• Jordan
              • Jun 2009

wow very ingenuitive, congrats

Comment

• spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

The Psycho Swivel I

Thanks for the cool replies. I have video but I'm waiting for the software now to, of course, change formats. I really think you guy's will be impressed with the action of the swivel. I've named it The Psycho Swivel I. The second design will have ball bearings and be called Psycho II. I need some more supplies and it shouldn't take me long once I get this video thing under control. I now have about 40 hrs on the Psycho Swivel. Insane!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Thanks for the cool replies. I have video but I'm waiting for the software now to, of course, change formats. I really think you guy's will be impressed with the action of the swivel. I've named it The Psycho Swivel I. The second design will have ball bearings and be called Psycho II. I need some more supplies and it shouldn't take me long once I get this video thing under control. I now have about 40 hrs on the Psycho Swivel. Insane!
                  Hello! Welcome! We are Psycho Baggers so of course we need to check out the Psycho Swiv! We are psyched to be psycho!

I'd love to see a pic of the guts of the Psycho Swiv! Isn't "Swiv" a cool, simple, hip yet effective nickname for a swivel.... I mean, it's practically the same but it's not unlike Ed to Edward or Bob to Bobby!
                  Swiv it up!!

Comment

• sparrky37
                    • Jan 2010

Very cool! In the old days of FireFighting everything was made of brass because of it's ability to withstand any harsh condition. The problem became it's weight. The efficiency of FireFighting grew with more advanced metals replaced brass, now brass is a hot collecter item for firefighters.
                    I love the name "Psycho Swiv"! Look forward to hear and see more about it.

Comment

• spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

thanks for checking me out Sparrky. Its funny you mentioned firefighters because I'm a fire sprinkler fitter and I like to think that I'm the first firefighter on the seen when a fire occurs on one of my systems. It helps me to get through the work day, you know? I've definitely been using brass more since I've been in fitting.

Comment

• spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

SSP I'm lovin your enthusiasm. Thanks for checking my swiv out. I''ve definitely gone Psycho.

Comment

• sparrky37
                          • Jan 2010

thanks for checking me out Sparrky. Its funny you mentioned firefighters because I'm a fire sprinkler fitter and I like to think that I'm the first firefighter on the seen when a fire occurs on one of my systems. It helps me to get through the work day, you know? I've definitely been using brass more since I've been in fitting.
                          Yes definately! Here in Missouri, not for sure about rest of the country, They are making it law for new homes to have sprinkler systems now. Keep up the good work.

Comment

• spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

It needs to be law, espescially in multi-family dwellings. I cant believe people put them in ground (I now there's a need for that also) and not put a sprinkler system in their homes. Some systems can be installed quite easily. Enough sprinklers, how about speed bags? I put a video up today check me out.

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Aug 2010

Genius move

Hey Tommy, I definitely want to build a Psycho Swivel I. Would you post where you got the materials when you post the video? Also, the same for the Psycho II if you will.

I wanna see that video! Or if you want to explain how to construct it by text that's cool with me too!

Impressive!!!
                              Novaspeedbagger

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...