X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

MsDeville's "Drum Roll" Practice

Over the months (since discovering speed bagging), I have noticed a punch that has intrigued me. (Silly statement... all of the punches have – and still do! )

I call it a drum roll, because it's what I imagine a drum roll to look like on a speed bag. Alan, I'm sure you'll be able to tell me the actual name of this punch.

The first time I really noticed it was when I was watching Brian's Christmas video: Jingle Bag Rock.

If you watch him at about :58 seconds in, he does it. I think it's pretty cool looking, myself.

And, then, when TJ_MaTee posted his (incredible) debut "2-Months In" video, and demonstrated it, I just had to go out under the board and learn it. (Watch for it in a couple places on his video. Once around 1:52 and again at 2:13. )

I know others on the forum have probably done this punch, but I'm just sayin' that I noticed it first when watching them...

So, it's a little tricky, in that you have to maintain good control while hitting the bag with your fists punching side by side, if you know what I mean. I still need to post a video where I try to make it look like I'm actually using drum sticks – of course, Brian does it effortlessly. And, TJ, are you a drummer also?

I'm using my Everlast Te:M Elite bag. It's really growing on me, although it doesn't have a real strong rebound, I like it when practicing my elbow punches...
    Anyway, please let me know how I can improve my "drum roll." (Without having to take drum lessons! )

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • Mrs Mitts
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Feb 2010

All you've got to do is - standard fist roll, drop your elbows a little and change the alignment of your thumbs to more vertical than horizontal...

Can I do it? NO WAY!!!!!!

So... TJ and Spins... what's the secret??

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Mrs Mitts View Post
      All you've got to do is - standard fist roll, drop your elbows a little and change the alignment of your thumbs to more vertical than horizontal...

Yes, that sounds about right, Mrs. Mitts, dropping elbows a bit, etc. But, boy, it's a tough one for me. Hard to sustain for any length of time... I guess I'll work out on my weenie 3-lb hand weights some more. They seem to be a good size for me when "air punching" indoors and hopefully builds some muscle... Unfortunately, they don't help in the coordination department! (I actually have some video footage of me doing it the right (?) way, but I think it was an unflattering angle.
      (I'm so vain. )
      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Biff
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Higgins: By George, I think she's got it.

As with any new technique, it's going to take practice, MsDeville. Looking forward to your video of it.

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Hey Miss D, Spin showed it to me down in St. Louis on the truck. There's not much of a "secret" I don't think. Spin could probably explain it better than I, but, while doing a fist roll, slowly move your fists apart slightly and use more of a "chopping" motion (the bag will start to go from side to side). Do it gradually and you'll get the feel of it. I think it looks more difficult than it really is. Good luck Miss D, Just keep at it!
          Last edited by TJ_MaTee; 04-09-2010, 05:51 PM.
          T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• Jordan
            • Jun 2009

If you watch Alan's DVD on fist rolling, one of the things he said that helped me was the fact that you want to make a V shape with your forearms, so your fists are actually closer to your face than the bag when you start out, this will help keep the bag from flying all over the place if you dont hit the ball completely straight on. Once you do this it all seems much easier, or at least it did for me....hope this helps

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
              Over the months (since discovering speed bagging), I have noticed a punch that has intrigued me. (Silly statement... all of the punches have – and still do! )

I call it a drum roll, because it's what I imagine a drum roll to look like on a speed bag. Alan, I'm sure you'll be able to tell me the actual name of this punch.
              The person that taught me (Doc Schroeder) called this "riveting". He did it two ways. First, Fist-over-Fist (I changed that to "Fist Rolling") and second, Fist-next-to-Fist. This appears to be like a fist roll with the fists next to each other.

Actually, Mrs Mitts, you've pretty much got it for one way to do this. Lower the elbows from a standard Front Fist Roll (F-Roll) until the palms are facing more toward each other than the floor. Another way is start a "normal" F-Roll, then simply move each hand outward a bit so they are not rolling over each other but more next to each other.

The problem with this is bag control, due to the wider contact points on the front of the bag and the resulting angles of rebound. with the "Normal" F-Roll, the fists repetitively contact the front area of the bag near the center. As you lower your elbows or separate your hands to do "riveting", you are hitting off the bag center toward the outer edges of the front bag panels, making it much more difficult to predict the angle of rebound, and the returning rebound angle off the board is not always correct for the next single punch. "Normal" F-Rolling is a simple technique to do, but front riveting with the fists next to each other is a bit more difficult.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                The problem with this is bag control, due to the wider contact points on the front of the bag and the resulting angles of rebound. with the "Normal" F-Roll, the fists repetitively contact the front area of the bag near the center. As you lower your elbows or separate your hands to do "riveting", you are hitting off the bag center toward the outer edges of the front bag panels, making it much more difficult to predict the angle of rebound, and the returning rebound angle off the board is not always correct for the next single punch. "Normal" F-Rolling is a simple technique to do, but front riveting with the fists next to each other is a bit more difficult.
                You've said it!

Front Riveting- I like the sound of that, another to add to my list!!

err... Reverse Riveting anyone?????

Comment

• Bruce
                  • Dec 2009

You've said it!

I was thinking Reverse Riveting would be the same as reverse rolling... or at least how reverse rolling is explained in Alan's video with the same type of reverse chopping motion. I never thought to do forward rolling (or forward riveting) with with the same chopping motion that I typically use for reverse rolling (or maybe the correct term is reverse riveting). Maybe I'm confusing the terms.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

You've said it!

Reverse Fist Rolling (R-Roll) really is reverse riveting. You don't really "roll the fists over each other" so much behind the bag. When you can R-ROLL long enough you will see the fist afterimages that normally confirms they are rolling or moving "next" to each other, not "over" each other. I think that is why the R-Roll is so difficult to do and control. the fists hit continually off center on the "side" of the center spot, creating the more difficult to control rebound angle for the next punch.

You will also notice that the individual fist movement is not so much a "rolling" motion as a direct chopping forward-back motion. Very much like continuous single Front Circle Punching with one fist. It ends up being a chopping motion, and harder (for me) to do continously.

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                    I was thinking Reverse Riveting would be the same as reverse rolling... or at least how reverse rolling is explained in Alan's video with the same type of reverse chopping motion. I never thought to do forward rolling (or forward riveting) with with the same chopping motion that I typically use for reverse rolling (or maybe the correct term is reverse riveting). Maybe I'm confusing the terms.
                    You are correct. I did mention that in the video's.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                      The first time I really noticed it was when I was watching Brian's Christmas video: Jingle Bag Rock.

If you watch him at about :58 seconds in, he does it. I think it's pretty cool looking, myself.
                      I know others on the forum have probably done this punch, but I'm just sayin' that I noticed it first when watching them...
                      So, it's a little tricky, in that you have to maintain good control while hitting the bag with your fists punching side by side, if you know what I mean. I still need to post a video where I try to make it look like I'm actually using drum sticks – of course, Brian does it effortlessly. And, TJ, are you a drummer also?
                      Anyway, please let me know how I can improve my "drum roll." (Without having to take drum lessons! )
                      Originally posted by TJ_MaTee View Post
                      Hey Miss D, Spin showed it to me down in St. Louis on the truck. There's not much of a "secret" I don't think. Spin could probably explain it better than I, but, while doing a fist roll, slowly move your fists apart slightly and use more of a "chopping" motion (the bag will start to go from side to side). Do it gradually and you'll get the feel of it. I think it looks more difficult than it really is. Good luck Miss D, Just keep at it!
                      Howdy! I am in Europe and have been traveling a lot (played a show in the Alps next to The Eiger, one of the highest points of the Alps.... the town, Grindelwald, was breathtaking, at the foot of the Alps.. it took an hour train ride to get up to around 7000 feet and play to 8000 people in the snow!
                      Anyhow.....
                      The drum roll....
                      I learned it from Skunk in Tim Platt's garage last year. SKunk showed me, called it the drum roll for obvious reasons and I could not do it...
                      So for the next hour as we hung out I kept going back to it and working on it....
                      Start slow and see if you can get 2-4 punches in... Like anything on the bag, and like anything new that requires practice, it just takes time and patience....
                      Yes, you are chopping downward more or less and the bag makes a sort of "V" pattern between your hands and the rebound. I also soon after learned how to go between the fist roll and drum roll. Skunk did that too. but that goes without saying as I haven't seen him NOT able to do anything on the bag....
                      BAG ON!!!!

Comment

• jimcaher
                        • Feb 2010

Very nice Spin, but where do you bag?

Jim
                        Last edited by jimcaher; 04-12-2010, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by jimcaher View Post
                          Very nice Spin, but where do you bag?

Jim
                          Well, in the states there is the infamous Speed Bag Truck. That has proven to be an invaluable place for me to be on the road! Some months I've gotten more bagging done at gigs then at home!
                          Right now in Europe, we have yet to get the board up...
                          It is here with me, but we played a crazy show in the Swiss Alps next to the Eiger, and there was no way anyone was bothering hooking up a board... and nowhere to do it..
                          Then we went straight overnight to Milan... I got to the show 45 minutes before and that's that..
                          Today we are off in Paris.. so the equipment truck is somewhere else....
                          Tomorrow we play Paris and I have a drum interview before the show and then we drive somewhere else all night..
                          It's just not that easy to get it together in Europe with logistics and scheules... but the board is here and I am now about to send off a text to my tech to see if they hang the board tomorrow and I'll do the interview in the European Speed Bag Truck!!!
                          Last year I went 6 weeks with no baggin' in Europe. This year we are only here from the traveling the 8th , returning the 19th... not so bad....
                          I guess this more than answers your question! haha.....
                          BAG ON!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...