X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eighty-Eight

• Feb 2008

Speed Bag with Metronome

This is what I’ve been practicing lately. It took more than a few takes for me to get one that I felt comfortable posting. Even in this one I have a mis-hit, but I decided to go with it anyway. I’ve been using www.metronome.com on my laptop. I also use the stereo out on my laptop to pump it through a little speaker so I can hear it over the bag. I set the metronome to a moderate speed of 120 and I’m using my Title 6x9. Although I have been practicing other techniques with the metronome, I focused on using the Basic Rhythm, F-ROLLs and [8]’s in this video.

I welcome your suggestions and comments.
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

88, great video. Very nice camera angle to demonstrate your punching. I like how you mixed in a variety of F-rolls. Also, you showed a good mix of punching. Nice solid routine. Are you planning a vid punching to music? I'd like to see that.

I've been practicing to the metronome since your earlier post. It has given me a better "feel" for punching "on time." I've limited myself to basic rhythm, FDP, RDP, SDP, and linking. On occasion, I'll sneak in some type of triple, but I have to remind myself to keep the triple under control and on-time. I'll have to try the F-Roll variety you demonstrated.

Again, great demo.
    Last edited by Biff; 03-26-2010, 07:16 AM.

Comment

• Eighty-Eight

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by Biff View Post
      Are you planning a vid punching to music? I'd like to see that.
      I think I'll stick with the metronome vids for now. As I said in an earlier post, I tend to get hung up when I try to punch to music. As long as I stick to a basic rhythm with a few fist rolls thrown in, I'm OK. Once I start getting into the music and try for things I hear in my head, I discover that I don't have the bag skills to match. Then a few things start to happen: I mis-hit, or I wind up on a side of the bag I hadn't planned on, and then I miss the bag entirely, etc. Even with the few techniques I can do, the number of combinations is staggering when you consider that each one can start on the left or right side, some from the front and back of the bag (I haven't done any side punches yet). Maybe I'm over-thinking all this, maybe not. It may sound as if I'm frustrated; on the contrary, I'm motivated as hell. It just seems that I need to work on an approach or strategy so that I can work the techniques in gradually.

Biff, thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

88..... A new Punch Drummer on the horizon!
        That is great! Awesome! Wizard! You have it all together.... you even polyrhythm'ed it up at 1:06 and 1:10!!!
        You are totally feeling the beat, groove, and natural rhythms of the bag!
        It is so cool to see someone really getting it.
        I think you would have an easy time punching to simple rock music.
        Just find the most simple sounding songs you dig and have a go.....
        Or disco hits... they are always straight in the drum dept....
        Also, you technique is real even too.... very consistent.....
        Great display of FCP's into triplet Fist rolls and 16th note fist rolls....
        True punch drumming is so much more than hitting a bag while music is on.
        I am not trying to put anyone down, I'm just saying as a drummer I hear all the natural rhythms without trying.. but I also rock out and jam to my windshield wipers!
        Just watch Alan Kahn...that's years of punch drumming and refining all his bag skills into cadences and combos that make for some great sounding rhythms on top of the music!
        GREAT JOB!
        Looking forward to seeing your development!
        BAG ON!

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Brilliant! Great display of control of punching power, speed and timing. You were right on the whole time. You've got a great ear for "the beat" and like SSP says, you through in some polyrhythms off the Front Fist Rolls (F-Roll).

What I really liked is the manipulation of front fist rolling, varying the number of punches by going faster or slower, coming of ON the beat whenever you felt it. That's great because fist rolling is one technique you will use a lot to increase or decrease bag speed within the measure. As your bag skills grow, various combinations will require added bag speed that will need to be quickly eliminated when you come out and the F-Roll is an easy technique to do that with.

Your straight time basic rhythm punching at the opening from the front of the bag was dead on, and your single fist linking was superb and on time. Now, to do your straight time basic rhythm punching from the back of the bag (reverse position), simply do a Double Punch
          on the side you are going to and let the second fist hit "on the beat" and then continue triplet punching from that side.

so, if you want to go from Front basic rhythm punching to Reverse basic rhythm punching, just do a Reverse Double Punch (RDP) and let the second fist of that technique continue single punching from behind. Than you can return to the front of the bag by doing a Front Double Punch (FDP) and let the second fist continue from the front, doing basic rhythm. the rule is: to change sides of the bag "on beat", you will almost always do a Double Punch on the side you are going to. Amost always means about 99% of the time. In the 20+ years I've been punching to music I can't even come up with a standard rule for an exception for that one (and don't think I haven't tried....) That is also why doing an easy flow from Front Double Punch (FDP) to Reverse Double Punch (RDP) continuously will work great with a metronome, because you are always double punching on the side you are going to. You might be thinking that "you did a lot of single fist linking from front to back and did not double punch when you did it". Yes, but you also did not STAY on the same side either. If you want to change sides, and stay on that different side, then a double punch will almost always be required. You don't "think that" by the way. You feel it. the lead fist is the pickup beat. Listening to your punching in this clip, you certainly feel the beat enough to throw in the pick up beat of a double punch.

Great Job, 88! Punch on, Brotha! Pretty soon you'll be jammin' from all around the bag!
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Eighty-Eight View Post
            This is what I’ve been practicing lately. It took more than a few takes for me to get one that I felt comfortable posting. Even in this one I have a mis-hit, but I decided to go with it anyway. I’ve been using www.metronome.com on my laptop. I also use the stereo out on my laptop to pump it through a little speaker so I can hear it over the bag. I set the metronome to a moderate speed of 120 and I’m using my Title 6x9. Although I have been practicing other techniques with the metronome, I focused on using the Basic Rhythm, F-ROLLs and [8]’s in this video.
            That's great Jack. Very nice. Using an external speaker is a great idea, as it is hard to hear the computer sound over the bag rebounds. What sort of swivel is that?

Originally posted by Biff View Post
            I've been practicing to the metronome since your earlier post. It has given me a better "feel" for punching "on time."
            I need to give this a try as well. I can hold a beat clapping or tapping my foot, but it's much harder for me on the bag.

I think I'll stick with the metronome vids for now. As I said in an earlier post, I tend to get hung up when I try to punch to music.
            Haha, me too.

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

Eighty Eight, true brilliance! Your video was awesome. You've completely simplified the basics of punch drumming. I know Alan has covered this before, but you drove the point home. I've been trying so hard to hit to music and like you, I get caught up in the song. Not to mention my chosen genre (Death, Extreme and Speed metal) has so many rythym and beat changes. The metronome has forced me to slow it and down and gain control. I should know this for crying out loud, as a wanna be guitar player I practiced with metronome!
              sigpic

Comment

• Eighty-Eight

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                What sort of swivel is that?
                Tim,
                It's a Watkins all-steel ball hook. I couldn't get the swivel to stay on tight; it kept coming loose. I was hesitant to really tighten it using a wrench; I didn't want to damage it. So I took some black electrical tape and taped it all around. It usually holds for quite a while. Any one else have that problem?

Comment

• Eighty-Eight

• Feb 2008

Thanks to all you guys who have given me your comments on my first video bagging with the metronome. It really means a lot coming from guys who bag as well as you do. Talking about getting me pumped up . . . man.

Alan, I tried what you said about double punching on the side you're going to and putting the second fist on the beat. I tried it, it cracked me up, and I said, "of course." That really made it a lot easier on my head. Thanks.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Thanks to all you guys who have given me your comments on my first video bagging with the metronome. It really means a lot coming from guys who bag as well as you do. Talking about getting me pumped up . . . man.

Alan, I tried what you said about double punching on the side you're going to and putting the second fist on the beat. I tried it, it cracked me up, and I said, "of course." That really made it a lot easier on my head. Thanks.
                    Good to hear. It's really a simple maneuver that I have found most people really don't discover on their own, and then when they do it, they go "...boy was that simple".

Glad it helped.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...