X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

MsDeville Working out at the local YMCA

I made a visit to the local YMCA (in downtown Tacoma, WA). I wanted to see what they had to offer in the way of speed bagging, so here's a short video of me working on my elbow punches. The platform was near the indoor swimming pool, and the humidity was high! I was dripping with perspiration after just a few minutes of hitting on the bag.

I am totally spoiled with my homemade platform. This one at the "Y" is not very satisfying – it rattled, and didn't have any weight on the top, so I really had to work to make the bag move. But... that is a good thing. My reason for getting in to this sport was to lose weight and get in shape. And, nearly 6 months later – and 20 pounds lighter – I must say, it's working for me!

I'm still addicted!

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

I have to check with AK for the terminology of those elbow srtikes with clasped hands. Different way to strike the bag, but it looks like a heckuva workout. What was the old Virginia Slims cigarette slogan?...."You've come a long way baby!"

Congrats on many levels, your bagging skills have steadily improved, and you're getting in better condition, AND losing weight.

Way to go, Dee!!!

Comment

• ukspeedbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

I like your style of hitting! Nice work, your really getting your upper torso moving. And congrats with your weight lose, I admire you.

Comment

• Geronimo
        • Sep 2009

HEY!!! WHERES MY SB SET UP @ the Local YMCA Both the Y's with in 30min drive of my place do not have SB setups... My buddy that weight trains with me mentioned it to them few times to the staff, before I started going to the Y with him. Months now and not any of the near by locations have one. Now every time I go, Im gunna have to say something to the staff so they take not of it or get one set up =).... Nice elbow workout there btw MsD.

Comment

• SpeedBagScissorhands
          Spin Master

• Aug 2008

lookin good msDeville! def getting smoother!

Comment

• atgatt
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2007

Like Biff said in the slogan, ..."You've come a long way baby!"

Quite interesting elbow hits.

That YMCA platform sure looks good to me and wouldn't mind having it.

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Great work, very nice elbows. I bet that turned a few heads at the YMCA! In regards to the platform, sometimes "different" just takes some getting used to, the platform looked solid, but then, I've never seen a wall mount platform (except for ceiling mount) that didn't benefit from weight. We speed baggers are quite blessed in that we can pretty easily mount all the equipment we need right in our homes, in a minimum of space!

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                I have to check with AK for the terminology of those elbow srtikes with clasped hands. Different way to strike the bag, but it looks like a heckuva workout.
                Yes… the hands. I'm thinkin' it won't be a popular position on the forum… I was trying to keep them at chest level, and found clasping them seemed to work best for me at the time.

Congrats on many levels, your bagging skills have steadily improved... Way to go, Dee!!!
                Thanks, Biff. Yes, that elbow drill really works my torso, as well as my legs because I spring up on alternating feet.

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
                I like your style of hitting! Nice work, your really getting your upper torso moving. And congrats with your weight lose, I admire you.
                Thanks, Vini. The admiration is mutual… I've never been too keen on daily exercise, but, I find SB-ing to be very addictive and, well therapeutic, too.

Originally posted by Geronimo View Post
                HEY!!! WHERES MY SB SET UP @ the Local YMCA
                My son's girlfriend tipped me off about the speed bag at the YMCA… I've been giving her pointers on basic punching and she's started practicing at the Y. Yeah, you should definitely keep after the staff at your local Y's…

Originally posted by SpeedBagScissorhands View Post
                lookin good msDeville! def getting smoother!
                Thanks, SBSH. Tryin' to get as smooth as buttah.

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                Like Biff said in the slogan, ..."You've come a long way baby!" Quite interesting elbow hits.

That YMCA platform sure looks good to me and wouldn't mind having it.
                Okay... I guess it wasn't all that bad. But, it happened to be located in the handball court. It was like this huge echo chamber… very noisy when I was punching!

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                Great work, very nice elbows. I bet that turned a few heads at the YMCA!
                Thanks, Tim. Funny you should say that… I actually turned the head of a 60-something lady!! She stopped me on my way out… wanted to know how long I've been doing it. Having grown up with brothers who had boxed/speed-bagged, she was impressed with my speed/rhythm on the bag! She made my day!
                sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I have to check with AK for the terminology of those elbow srtikes with clasped hands. Different way to strike the bag, but it looks like a heckuva workout. What was the old Virginia Slims cigarette slogan?...."You've come a long way baby!"

Congrats on many levels, your bagging skills have steadily improved, and you're getting in better condition, AND losing weight.

Way to go, Dee!!!
                  Yeah, Biff the "clasped hands Inward-Outward continuous Elbow Striking combination". It's a rarely seen combo, and in all honesty I've never seen it personally, but I heard a lot about it. It was perfected by a lady bagger in the northwest and it's known as the "MsDeville Elbow combination".

This is a very excellentdemonstration of it.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• deano
                    Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

lady with style

thats a very unique style you've got there MsDee,smooth and effortless,your
                    powering bigtime.deano

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                      Yeah, Biff the "clasped hands Inward-Outward continuous Elbow Striking combination". It's a rarely seen combo, and in all honesty I've never seen it personally, but I heard a lot about it. It was perfected by a lady bagger in the northwest and it's known as the "MsDeville Elbow combination".

This is a very excellentdemonstration of it.
                      Thanks, Alan. I knew you'd come up with a name for my crazy punching technique.

Originally posted by deano View Post
                      thats a very unique style you've got there MsDee,smooth and effortless,your
                      powering bigtime.deano
                      When I grow up , I wanna punch just like you! Your videos are very inspiring, Deano.

Comment

• Speedbag
                        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                        Thanks, Alan. I knew you'd come up with a name for my crazy punching technique.

When I grow up , I wanna punch just like you! Your videos are very inspiring, Deano.
                        We all do...
                        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...