X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sparrky37
    • Jan 2010

Sparrky garage

Here is my first vid from my garage. I'm building a second platform tommorow, then a third is going to be the Everlast elite. I'm getting serious. My buddy Joe comes over at 7 am to practice. with a wife and kid thats the best time for him. I couldn't get it together. I usually need about a half a pot of coffe to get a good flow goin. More vids to come. My little lady is a natural fist roller all 105lbs of her it's hilarious hav to get a good vid of it. Later

All about Speedbaggn, Drummin, Skydivin,cars,and motorcycles.The last 3 will be a bit when I can afford them more!
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Great vid! Great platform! Looks very solid! You guys are gettin hardcore! Nice front/reverse/side/side double combo! It's all coming together!
    BAG ON!!!!

Comment

• Geronimo
      • Sep 2009

Love your guys motivation and desire to bag, makes me wanna go bag now! Good footage to, Im no pro. but whats helped me the most is getting the speed bag bible. That taught me how to look at bagging completely different then the past 6 months. Not saying I was going about it all wrong, just needed to see it from Alans perspective. Awesome FDP,RDP,SDP,SDP, combos shows ya skills I learned to work control over speed, slow n methodical, speed naturally follows

Geronimo

Comment

• SpeedBagScissorhands
        Spin Master

• Aug 2008

great video guys! love that homemade platform!!!! and thats the exact speed bag i started on.i would say just get the basic rythm down than go for the different punches! AAA+++ boys!

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hey Sparrky,

Gotta throw up a few pictures here for you to help explain and point out a few things.

Your timing is great, fist contacts excellent. Good placement on bag, but your fist movements on the double fist pass through (FDP ' ' RDP) has a few problems. Mainly, your punching downward on the FDP trying to go UNDER the bag. See picture 1. In Picture 1 your hands are great. Both up and right in line with chin and belly of bag. In 2 and 3 they both contact and move downward. In pics 4,5,6, I stilled your video just after the second fist of the FDP connected. Look where your fists are (down under the bag).
          I think your will find this combo much easier if you try to follow the green line which is directly in line with your chin and the belly of the bag. On that little bag you can go straight under and the bag will be on the board over your second fist to go beyond it without ducking under.

Your RDP was fine and pretty much travelled directly back straight to the front to the home position. The biggest problem with your RDP was having to loop your fists upward to get to the bag.

Your SDP combo looks to have some set-up positional problems, which also cause a swing problem. I think your set up hands are extended out to far, most especially your lead fist (left). In your top pictures 1,2 and 3, which I paused just before contact of the lead fist, the left is really out too far and also over too far past your right shoulder. (you see that in the picture of me #2). This causes you to hit with an almost straight pinwheel arm motion. Notice in your top picture #3 your left lead fist is solidly contacting the Side panel of the bag. IF you left elbow us up a bit higher and your fist was a bit closer to your chin this contact would be more on the front area of the bag. This problem also comes from trying to hit both fists of a SIDE double punch on the side panels of the bag which is not necessary. The Side Double Punch (SDP) should more correctly be called the Front-Side Double Punch because it is much more efficient for the lead fist to hit the front in FCP contact, rather than extend it out over the other arm to clip the side of the bag. This sets the arms out too far from the body and creates a poor swinging angle. It can also exhaust the shoulders holding the full weight of your arms extended in the motion. It causes you to swing from the shoulders, which you are clearly doing and I see your shoulders rotating a lot side to side when doing this. Not necessary. You can do the SDP ' ' SDP combo at comfortable speed while facing front and barely moving the upper arms from the shoulder.

note in this video from :26 to :36 sec and :53 to :58sec. My shoulders don't move a lot during the SDP, and most of the movement is from the elbows.

anyway, on FDP ' ' RDP, try to get a bit straighter through.
          on the SDP ' ' SDP, try to keep the lead fist closer to chin and hit the front of the bag, swinging from the elbow more than the shoulder.

Hope it helps and keep working. You're making great progress.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Speedbag; 02-09-2010, 07:28 AM.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• sparrky37
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
            Great vid! Great platform! Looks very solid! You guys are gettin hardcore! Nice front/reverse/side/side double combo! It's all coming together!
            BAG ON!!!!
            Ya platform is like a rock that's 3rd one I've built in my day and this one is the most solid. Thanks Bro!

Comment

• sparrky37
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by SpeedBagScissorhands View Post
              great video guys! love that homemade platform!!!! and thats the exact speed bag i started on.i would say just get the basic rythm down than go for the different punches! AAA+++ boys!
              Thanks man!

Comment

• sparrky37
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                Hey Sparrky,

Gotta throw up a few pictures here for you to help explain and point out a few things.

Your timing is great, fist contacts excellent. Good placement on bag, but your fist movements on the double fist pass through (FDP ' ' RDP) has a few problems. Mainly, your punching downward on the FDP trying to go UNDER the bag. See picture 1. In Picture 1 your hands are great. Both up and right in line with chin and belly of bag. In 2 and 3 the both contact and move downward. In pics 4,5,6, I stilled your video just after the second fist of the FDP connected. Look where your fists are (down under the bag).
                I think your will find this combo much easier if you try to follow the green line which is directly in line with your chin and the belly of the bag. On that little bag you can go straight under and the bag will be on the board over your second fist to go beyond it without ducking under.

Your RDP was fine and pretty much travelled directly back straight to the front to the home position. The biggest problem with your RDP was having to loop your fists upward to get to the bag.

Your SDP combo looks to have some set-up positional problems, which also cause a swing problem. I think your set up hands are extended out to far, most especially your lead fist (left). In your top pictures 1,2 and 3, which I paused just before contact of the lead fist, the left is really out too far and also over too far past your right shoulder. (you see that in the picture of me #2). This causes you to hit with an almost straight pinwheel arm motion. Notice in your top picture #3 your left lead fist is solidly contacting the Side panel of the bag. IF you left elbow us up a bit higher and your fist was a bit closer to your chin this contact would be more on the front area of the bag. This problem also comes from trying to hit both fists of a SIDE double punch on the side panels of the bag which is not necessary. The Side Double Punch (SDP) should more correctly be called the Front-Side Double Punch because it is much more efficient for the lead fist to hit the front in FCP contact, rather than extend it out over the other arm to clip the side of the bag. This sets the arms out too far from the body and creates a poor swinging angle. It can also exhaust the shoulders holding the full weight of your arms extended in the motion. It causes you to swing from the shoulders, which you are clearly doing and I see your shoulders rotating a lot side to side when doing this. Not necessary. You can do the SDP ' ' SDP combo at comfortable speed while facing front and barely moving the upper arms from the shoulder.

note in this video from :26 to :36 sec and :53 to :58sec.

anyway, on FDP ' ' RDP, try to get a bit straighter through.
                on the SDP ' ' SDP, try to keep the lead fist closer to chin and hit the front of the bag, swinging from the elbow more than the shoulder.

Hope it helps and keep working. You're making great progress.
                WOW! Thanks Alan! Would of never caught that. I'm gonna do a vid w/ more baggn and less talkin so you can really break it down. Will do that soon. Thanks Again!

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by sparrky37 View Post
                  WOW! Thanks Alan! Would of never caught that. I'm gonna do a vid w/ more baggn and less talkin so you can really break it down. Will do that soon. Thanks Again!
                  in that case step a bit too your left so I can get more of a face front view along with the side view. A view facing the camera is a good angle for seeing SDP combinations as well as arm positions. If you notice in my video's I often take a step to the left while hitting to show more of a front angle, and then move back to the side facing positioning. That is just to let people see the arm and fist movements as well as bag contact from a few easier angles. In case I use if for teaching.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• sparrky37
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                    in that case step a bit too your left so I can get more of a face front view along with the side view. A view facing the camera is a good angle for seeing SDP combinations as well as arm positions. If you notice in my video's I often take a step to the left while hitting to show more of a front angle, and then move back to the side facing positioning. That is just to let people see the arm and fist movements as well as bag contact from a few easier angles. In case I use if for teaching.
                    Actually a platform is going up next to that one tommorow it will be great for that.Look forward to your help. Gonna PM you. Thanks again

Comment

• atgatt
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Nov 2007

I think we should call Alan, "Dr. Speedbag". Unreal how he can break it down.

Sparrky, you and your friend are a great inspiration. That stainless steel carabiner should do the trick for sure. Love that SOLID platform too.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Nov 2007

Your platform is looking cool! 'Dr. Alan' has broken things down for you just perfect......as always!
                        Last edited by ukspeedbag; 02-09-2010, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• sparrky37
                          • Jan 2010

Thanks to all! Wait til you see my Set-UPS as in multiple, we been busy today

Comment

• metaldad
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2007

Great setup and good video. I posted a comment on your page. You're getting the advice from the masters right here in the forum!
                            sigpic

Comment

• Tim
                              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Setup looks good and solid! Great job. I gotta do more narration in my clips. I have a fear of speaking on camera though ... weird.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...