• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Good speed bag weekend

I had a good speed bag weekend. First I had a chance to teach my long time best friend Sean how to do his first fist roll:

Then I scored an alternating inward double elbow with 1 rebound in between

Bag on !!!!
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Killer Tim! Great clip of the alt. inward elbows! The slowmo audio is intense!
    BAG ON!

Comment

• deano
      Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

elbows

good to see the Boss on the elbows.keep going now mate,if you can get the ball
      going more sideways after in inward elbow.deano

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post

Then I scored an alternating inward double elbow with 1 rebound in between

Bag on !!!!
        I have never seen that combo before!. Never even thought of it to be honest. Throughout my entire speed bag career I have never worked on two repetitive inward techniques, because they feel very unnatural to me on three rebounds inbetween let alone one rebound. In the normal flow of the basic rhythm that doesn't happen. An inward moving technique Front Straight Punch (FSP) is always followed by the outward movement of the Same Arm. It was always unnatural for me to do two alternating FSP. I did try a lot of strange movement combinations (years ago). But never persued them because of their unnatural feeling and flow. I am amazed at how easy others have incorporated these movements. Skunk's repetitive alternating Downward Double Elbow combo on one rebound is still one of the most amazing combo's I've ever seen. I can make about 4 of them work before the helicopter takes off

So, let see.....

R-(I-DES) ' L-(I-DES) Makes a nice 4-way Elbow Strike.

Gotta go try that one. As I've learned to say since this forum started: It's not to old to teach an old dog (me) new tricks.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• RenoRattler
          • Sep 2009

That's awesome Tim, I have got to try that!

Comment

• Biff
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Nicely done, Tim. With all these new videos getting posted, I have to find the time to practice some more.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2007

Excellent Tim! I liked the video angle too!

Comment

• atgatt
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2007

Tim, if "Dr. Speedbag" was impressed with what you did, you know that has to be impressive.

It sure looked good to me too and I love the way you fit in the slow motion.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                  Killer Tim! Great clip of the alt. inward elbows! The slowmo audio is intense!
                  BAG ON!
                  Thanks man ... I'm all about the elbows lately. I have some double bump stuff I'm working on , but it's pretty crappy at the moment.

Originally posted by deano View Post
                  good to see the Boss on the elbows.keep going now mate,if you can get the ball
                  going more sideways after in inward elbow.deano
                  Thanks Deano. Getting it going sideways is challenging because of the way I do this particular move, but I'll give it a shot.

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  I have never seen that combo before!. Never even thought of it to be honest.

So, let see.....

R-(I-DES) ' L-(I-DES) Makes a nice 4-way Elbow Strike.

Gotta go try that one. As I've learned to say since this forum started: It's not to old to teach an old dog (me) new tricks.
                  Thanks. I was pretty sure I was on to something special so I ran and got the camera. I was practicing R-(I-DES)'' L-(I-DES) , which is immensely easier and then figured, no reason I can't take one of those rebounds out About 50 tries later, I had it. I can't repeat it very reliably yet though. It might be a good way to start a combo , as it leaves me in a good position to follow up with an out-in 4 way elbow. Hopefully more coming this weekend, but we'll see.

Originally posted by RenoRattler View Post
                  That's awesome Tim, I have got to try that!
                  Originally posted by Biff View Post
                  Nicely done, Tim. With all these new videos getting posted, I have to find the time to practice some more.
                  Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
                  Excellent Tim! I liked the video angle too!
                  Thanks guys! RE the camera angle, it's the most convenient way to mount the camera and it makes for a nice effect. I'll get some of that with a side or 3/4 shot too so you can better appreciate the arm movement involved though.

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                  Tim, if "Dr. Speedbag" was impressed with what you did, you know that has to be impressive.

It sure looked good to me too and I love the way you fit in the slow motion.
                  THanks! I was hoping the good Dr. would be at least a little bit impressed

Comment

• Geronimo
                    • Sep 2009

wait, SB moves A.K hasn't even thought of! Very impressive there Tim! Badass combo

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Hey Tim, Killer job on the "Dualing Inward Double Elbows!" I just started working on the Inward Double Elbows myself, I'm hitting them with my forearm more than with my elbow. Trying different elbow positions (trajectories) to make a better elbow contact.
                      One step at a time for me, there's so much stuff to work on, and not enough time to do it! Post some more vids when you can, Awesome as usual!
                      Keep on Baggin'!
                      T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by TJ_MaTee View Post
                        Hey Tim, Killer job on the "Dualing Inward Double Elbows!" I just started working on the Inward Double Elbows myself, I'm hitting them with my forearm more than with my elbow. Trying different elbow positions (trajectories) to make a better elbow contact.
                        One step at a time for me, there's so much stuff to work on, and not enough time to do it! Post some more vids when you can, Awesome as usual!
                        Keep on Baggin'!

The secret to inner elbow (and getting a clean rebound off the elbow and not the forearm) Is to really flex your arm and bring the point of the elbow into the bag. I might post a vid this weekend as a tutorial or something, although I still owe Scissor a video... hmmm so many videos to make, so little time

Comment

• Speedbag
                          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by TJ_MaTee View Post
                          Keep on Baggin'!

Original post TIM
                          The secret to inner elbow (and getting a clean rebound off the elbow and not the forearm) Is to really flex your arm and bring the point of the elbow into the bag. I might post a vid this weekend as a tutorial or something, although I still owe Scissor a video... hmmm so many videos to make, so little time
                          The inward elbow contact on the Inward Double (I-DES) and Triple Elbow strikes (I-TES) has always the bane of these techniques. Getting a clean crisp shot off the inward tip of the elbow, rather than the upper forearm, is not easy. I have long experimented with different methods of cleaning up that contact, because it always seems to be more lucky than good. For me (only me) I've noticed the key is the angle of the leading front straight punch contact. I have a tendency to let that fist drop down and inward toward the chest, creating a slightly upward angle on the forearm. As I turn the body slightly in the technique to bring the front portion of the elbow into the bag, it often hits just below the elbow on the forearm. That really kills the bag speed. I found a more reliable way is to keep that fist (leading FSP) up and bring it over the opposite shoulder, keeping an almost level angle on the forearm as the bag rebounds into the elbow. That seems to bring a more reliable contact on the elbow point.

Lately I have been very impressed with the control of the Inward Elbows that some people show, and how well they integrate those techniques into a non-stop speed bag routine, especially returning after two, and now ONE rebound. That is not something I have ever been able to do repetitively. I might pull it off once or maybe twice, but some people have developed the inward elbow contact to the point of using it just like a FSP in the non-stop flow of freestyle speed bag combinations. Skunk, Deano, Tim, (and a few others I haven't seen post in a while) have amazing control with them. I have no doubt a few others like "SPIN" and Rattler and Sparrky will be on their heels. I just never made the leap to that level of control and speed with the Inward Elbows.

and NO, I doubt have a problem admitting that. I know enough about the speed bag to recognize excellence when I see it, and realize when someone has gone beyond my own ability in certain areas.
                          Last edited by Speedbag; 02-13-2010, 02:12 PM.
                          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                          The Quest Continues...
                          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Roc Stone
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Oct 2007

Very Nice, Timbo!
                            sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...