• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

1902 Spalding inflated disk platform

Below is a Spalding inflated ring platform from a 1902 advertisement. What catches my eye is that it "better permits the fancy rolls, taps, etc".
    Attached Files
  • ukspeedbag
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Wow! Paranday, you come up with the most amazing speed bag history. Thanks for sharing your findings.

Comment

• Roc Stone
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2007

Another great piece of history there again Paranday.

I notice the swivel has been extended to accommodate as well, which it would have to be.

I haven't looked at the Gus Keller clip for a while now but if memory serves me he used an extended swivel like the one in the pic too.

Ya. I just checked it out then and he does but without that inflateable rebound ring.

Now thats gotta give you an edge, largely. Weather the swing arc is greater or lesser it would'nt really matter because the bag has gotta travel that further distance.

Rocky Greiners is the same, just not as long but never the less he does appear to have about a 2" chock between his drum and his swivel, which would give you a big handicapp, particularly on that rolling inward elbow combination.

I'm yet to try it. I don't think I would on my overhead Platt-Forum, but I may consider it if I was to set up a wall or floor bag.

Not sure if Kid Brunell did it, and its hard to make out weather those Aussie girl have it.

But it is quite clear that they were hobby hitting back then too, and not just boxing trainning on the things. My bet is, it was discovered when the inflateable ring got punctured or sprung a leak and openned up a whole new variety of punching.
      Last edited by Roc Stone; 01-31-2010, 07:05 AM.
      sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Very nice find, there Paranday. I have never seen that and it is a very interesting arrangement and description. The colorful past of this eqiupment and some of the early users never ceases to amaze me.
        Last edited by Speedbag; 02-01-2010, 06:51 PM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Griffin
          • Jan 2010

Very cool find -- the two wall brackets look amazingly similar to the ones I just made... just goes to show you that there's not much new in the world.
          Attached Files

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

From an advertisement a year later we can see how these particular early bags were fastened to the rope, and why. There was no leather loop on these Spalding bags. From the price list, we can see that "very speedy work" was important to baggers back then. What cracks me up is that the bladder for the budget bag was "carefully tested, but not guaranteed".
            Attached Files

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...