Clear All
  • riqal
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2006

everlast 4204

here are pics of the everlast
    4204 size 8x5 that I found on ebay several
    weeks
    ago. I feel extremely luckytohave found this bag. The 4204 was the very first bag that ever purchased. It lasted 20 years before I sold it on ebay for $1 a few years ago. This new bag has to be at least 10 years old, but it was
    in new and unused condition when I received it. I tried it on all three of my swivels (plastic ballhook,chainlink,and u-bolt). It works and feels best when punching on the chainlink. It is a lightweight,top-notch quality bag. If this bag can last as long as my previous 4204,then I believe that it may be the last bag I ever purchase.

Click image for larger version

Name:	speedbag 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	92549

Click image for larger version

Name:	speedbag 003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	92550
  • sparrky37
    • Jan 2010

Very nice! The 4204 & 4200 were my first loves as well. I just retired my 4200 because Speed Bag Dragone BT autographed it hopefully get some more Signatures on it as well. I was wanting that 4200 you had on ebay,I just need a job thats all there is to it.

Comment

• Roc Stone
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2007

Wish I had 1
      sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Definitely one of the nicest look bags, hits great too. I have two of the 4200

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Yes, I have fond memories of a 4202 and my 4200's as well. Too bad their recently quality went down the tubes, because they had the right shape and weight per size.
          Last edited by Speedbag; 01-30-2010, 09:55 PM.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• riqal
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            Yes, I have found memories of a 4202 and my 4200's as well. Too bad their recently quality went down the tubes, because they had the right shape and weight per size.
            Alan,
            Do you happen to know exactly what years everlast discontinued the 4204, 4201, and 4202? I never owned the 4201 or 4202. This 4204 that I found on ebay was definitely manufactured during the era when everlast was concerned about the quality of these gyro balanced bags.

The 4200 that I own was purchsed in the recent past. Although a fine bag, I would have to say that the quality of the 4204 is a notch above that of the 4200 (mainly the quality of the leather). Also, although I have not personally inspected the bladder in my 4204, I would guess that it is a plastic bladder. I say this because the bag is so light for an 8x5 (but not like hitting air, as long as you use the right swivel).

One other thing, Alan. On my first 4204 that I purchased in the late 1980's and on this 4204 that I found on ebay, the needle only goes about half way in the valve. Wonder why? Was that the same with the 4201, 4202,and 4200 back then?
            Last edited by riqal; 01-31-2010, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by riqal View Post
              Alan,
              Do you happen to know exactly what years everlast discontinued the 4204, 4201, and 4202? I never owned the 4201 or 4202. This 4204 that I found on ebay was definitely manufactured during the era when everlast was concerned about the quality of these gyro balanced bags.

The 4200 that I own was purchsed in the recent past. Although a fine bag, I would have to say that the quality of the 4204 is a notch above that of the 4200 (mainly the quality of the leather). Also, although I have not personally inspected the bladder in my 4204, I would guess that it is a plastic bladder. I say this because the bag is so light for an 8x5 (but not like hitting air, as long as you use the right swivel).

One other thing, Alan. On my first 4204 that I purchased in the late 1980's and on this 4204 that I found on ebay, the needle only goes about half way in the valve. Wonder why? Was that the same with the 4201, 4202,and 4200 back then?
              Actually I would have to punt the answers to those questions to our resident speed bag historian, Dutchman, because I don't know exactly when everlast speed bag models came and went or how they changed their manufacturing or air valve mechanics. The picture below is of my old 4200 from the early 1980's and you can see it has a plastic bladder, which I took out to show in my book.

As long as I changed bladders in speedbags (haven't in a while...) the evelast pro gyro versions were plastic.
              Attached Files
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

Okay so you're putting me on the spot. I recall the bags in question being available in the mid 1970's. At that time the bladders would have been latex rubber. They were the pro line, and not every sporting goods store handled them. From what I've been able to deduce, at least the 4200 as we know it came into being in the late 1960's which is when Everlast appears to have revamped their line. By the early to mid 1980's you began to see the plastic bladders which have the funky valve. The instructions for the replacement ones said to trim the tip once you had it installed, but most people (including my self) had some serious reservations about having a sharp blade of any kind that near a bag. If it isn't then the needle can have some issues gong all the way in.
                When did they start to go downhill? My guess is when they were bought out about ten years ago, and they started diversifying, catering to the mass market.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...