• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matthew33
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2010

New member, first video

Hey all,

Just bought a speedbag and I'm trying to work on some of these crazy moves I'm seeing. Feedback welcome.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • SpeedBagScissorhands
    Spin Master

• Aug 2008

nice baggin matt. looks good. nice form. scissorhands

Comment

• Roc Stone
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2007

Thats the best introduction I've seen in a long time, all year in fact.

Focus on control. Forget about speed. Once you have control all else follows
      sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Matthew33
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jan 2010

Thanks man, still getting used to the small bag. Only had it a few days now. Plus its hard to perform for the camera. Just ask my girlfriend. haha jk.

-Matt

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Matthew33 View Post
          Thanks man, still getting used to the small bag. Only had it a few days now. Plus its hard to perform for the camera. Just ask my girlfriend. haha jk.
          Welcome to the forum. Great first timer video, you'll go far with this hobby. I'm a speed bag genius until someone turns a camera on ... honest

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hey all,

Just bought a speedbag and I'm trying to work on some of these crazy moves I'm seeing. Feedback welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVUTHzaLbuY

Hi Matthew. Welcome to the forum.

Roc Stone is correct to focus on control. People think that "control" means "bag control", but the truth is the bag is only a mirror. It is only a reflection of the user. If the bag is slightly "out of control" it is because the position, movements, contact points, power or timing of the swing (or any combination of those things..) of the user is out of sync. If you can control all of these in YOUR movements and punching, then the bag will seem to be "in control", and rebound exactly as most people think it should.

You do have a few control problems which is not surprising for a beginner. but your problems are easily recognizable and fixable. But you also have some great things going for you, so lets start with them first:

You hold great Arm positions an swing movement. Awesome position for linking front to back. Rock solid all the time, with nice swing from elbows.

You have a nice range of techniques. Nice Front and Reverse punching, pretty nice elbows and did a nice Downward Double E.S. to Outward Double E.S. to a Reverse Single Punch (1:01) and later in the video.

I saw Outward Triple ES (O-TES) and Side Double Punch (SDP), as well as a few misses on shadow punch leading elbow strikes.

You've got a great beginning and a bright future with what you know. Especially if you work on a couple of things:

I notice that all through the video your bag speed is always changing. You start out slow and get faster and faster until you break down (bag stops or helicopters (spins around the swivel). To me inconsistent bag speed indicates the inability to control your punching power and swing speed. When you hit the bag a bit harder on a punch it goes faster. a faster bag will require a faster swing to catch up and connect at the right spot in the rebound, and most people will also increase the force of their punch to correspond with the increased hand speed. This second punch will make the bag go faster yet.... and the process repeats for 5 or 6 punches until it breaks down.
            The answer is to try and swing with consistent motion and force.

The second issue, which may be an extension of the first, is the spacing of your hands or speed of the multiple part techniques. I noticed on Front Double Punches (FDP) the second fist often misses because it blows past the bag too early in the rebound. that means it either was too close to the lead fist, OR you were moving it faster then needed. The same thing happens on other techniques with several parts. You need to maintain consistent spacing or distance between your elbows and fists when you use them together. With time and experience you will learn how to change to distance between the parts to add power or speed when you need to. But as a beginner, you really don't need to worry about that. Another think you don't really need to worry about right now is "shadow" techniques [cross arm multi part techniques or combinations led with a Front Straight Punch (FSP) ]

This is just my opinion, but most Shadow Punching is NOT a natural speed bag movement, and early learning time is much better spent on other things that will help learn the basics of the bag and help create control, not the advanced or very difficult "tricks" that more advanced baggers can do with ease. There is a reason they can do them with ease, and two reasons are they have excellent punching force/ and swing speed control, as well as prefect spacing between their multiple part techniques. Play with them if you want, for they are fun, but I suggest spending most of you practice time in other areas. Again, this is just my opinion. When working with someone personally I often redirect their attention from things they can't really do or can't understand at the moment - back to skills they really need to consisently keep the bag going.

Good video. Let's see another!
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Matthew33
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jan 2010

Thank Alan,

I really appreciate your feedback and look forward to working on some of the control issues. I hope to improve greatly now that I have my own bag. I was getting by previously with the sub-par bags and swivel at my gym.

Thanks again,

Matt

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Thank Alan,

I really appreciate your feedback and look forward to working on some of the control issues. I hope to improve greatly now that I have my own bag. I was getting by previously with the sub-par bags and swivel at my gym.

Thanks again,

Matt
                Yes struggling with lousy equipment can be frustrating. Having your own bag and swivel for each workout can make it much easier for a new person because of the consistent reaction. Speed bag is all about consistency and the equipment must do it's part also. With a bit more experience you will should learn to adapt and deal with most equipment variations. You've do have a really stance and arm positions, and for the most part pretty solid bag contact and all three of those are the bane of beginners so I expect you will improve very quickly.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Welcome to the forums Matt! Your doing just fine and hey! You've come to the right place to make lot's of progress.

Comment

• kjcr30
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Nov 2009

Thats some awesome advice!

Comment

• royalewifcheese
                      • Jul 2008

Hey all,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVUTHzaLbuY
                      good job and nice form!

Comment

• sparrky37
                        • Jan 2010

How long you been working at this? I'm very impressed and a little jealous!I've "boxin"baggn for 13 years and been tryin this new stuff fo a few weeks and nowhere near what your doin. Very good stuff Man!

Comment

• fingers
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • May 2008

Verry nice!! and welcome Matt.

Comment

• Matthew33
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by sparrky37 View Post
                            How long you been working at this? I'm very impressed and a little jealous!I've "boxin"baggn for 13 years and been tryin this new stuff fo a few weeks and nowhere near what your doin. Very good stuff Man!

Thanks,
                            I've been doing the 1-2-3 rhythm for years, but just started to really try to learn the variations the few months. I've got some better moves that I'll post shortly.

Comment

• sparrky37
                              • Jan 2010

Thanks,
                              I've been doing the 1-2-3 rhythm for years, but just started to really try to learn the variations the few months. I've got some better moves that I'll post shortly.

Gotcha a few months makes me feel betterI've only been at it for few weeks

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...