• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

U Bolt Baggin'

After my experience on the speed bag porch, I was feeling a bit nostalgic for the Ringside PS3 Super Swivel. I think I've used it for a total of 15 minutes in the 3 years I've owned it... maybe it's not so bad though. Things go well until I try to put a side punch on it

• Roc Stone
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2007

Outstanding Timbo Platt-Forum!

Always a pleasure to watch vids from the 'Mod'-erator. I used to be a Mod once upon a time http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?...eature=related, but now I've gone back to being a rocker (grass roots) http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?...eature=related. I mean could you imagine me on a Lambretta or a Vespa, I don't think so, not unless I'm in SE Asia. I love my leathers too much. "Com'on boys, com'on girls surrcumber to the beat surrender." As put by Ringo when asked, are you a mod or a rocker, "No I'm A Mocker." Enough rambling.

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or you been running around the block a few times, cause it looks to me as though you shed a bit since the 'speed bag porch', which could'nt be a bad thing.

I got one of those baby TC's as well. They're feather light and tiny. Takes me back to the time before I had a B/H swivel and had the bow shackle adaptation, which kinda resembled a U-bolt swivel. If my memory serves me, I think I used to do forwards, backwards linking gradually sending it sideway, but I can't remember what it was like on the baby TC.

More vids please Timbo!
    Last edited by Roc Stone; 01-28-2010, 08:56 PM.
    sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
      After my experience on the speed bag porch, I was feeling a bit nostalgic for the Ringside PS3 Super Swivel. I think I've used it for a total of 15 minutes in the 3 years I've owned it... maybe it's not so bad though.

Things go well until I try to put a side punch on it
      Yes, funny you should notice that......

notice in the picture posted below. As you are smoking the bag front-to-back, with awesome linking combos front and reverse, the U-bar is facing sides. Basically you are looking (and punching) directly at the "U". When you first change to a Side Double Punch (SDP) you can predicate a problem. The lead fist is a Front Circle Punch, (FCP), connecting the front of the bag (and the "U" setup of the swivel) but the second fist is the Side Single Punch (SSP), and it will hit the bag from the side - but the bar of the u-bolt is facing front, meaning the SSP will hit in a direction that will allow the bag to slide down the "U" moving it off the swivel center (which is re-align the center of the bag swing plan), and probably make the swivel spin, further mis-aligning the rebound. Your video really demonstrates this perfectly. Note in the picture left, (:21 sec) I froze the picture just after your right fist hit the lead FCP of your first SDP. Your left fist is up ready to do the SSP after one rebound. In the second picture you SDP combo has broken down (missed and had to re-start) and look at the swivel position (bolt twisted) and the bag contact point has slid a bit off center. A bag will NOT rebound correctly when this happens. And that is the weakeness of this swivel. Not every punch from the side will cause this, but when you link continously to and from side punching technique this swivel will yield more breakdowns than a ball hook, which is why I don't use it. I use lots of side techniques and get tired of the errant rebounds.

(I'm not dissing the swivel's speed, which is very fast. but it gives ME control problems as described above. Results for others may vary.)
      Attached Files
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
        Outstanding Timbo Platt-Forum!

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or you been running around the block a few times, cause it looks to me as though you shed a bit since the 'speed bag porch', which could'nt be a bad thing.
        Hell that was only two weeks ago, so I doubt it. I think the camera just caught my good side

I got one of those baby TC's as well. They're feather light and tiny. Takes me back to the time before I had a B/H swivel and had the bow shackle adaptation, which kinda resembled a U-bolt swivel. If my memory serves me, I think I used to do forwards, backwards linking gradually sending it sideway, but I can't remember what it was like on the baby TC.

More vids please Timbo!
        That TC is the lightest bag I've found yet. It's like punching air. It's a pretty crazy combination - the speed of the u-bolt and the tiny size of that bag. I'll put more up this weekend

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        Yes, funny you should notice that......
        .... I use lots of side techniques and get tired of the errant rebounds.

(I'm not dissing the swivel's speed, which is very fast. but it gives ME control problems as described above. Results for others may vary.)
        Thanks for the analysis. Scientific proof the u-bolt isn't optimal for side punches. Works great back and forth. I figure you never know when you'll run across a u-bolt, might was well practice a bit with it.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          ...Thanks for the analysis. Scientific proof the u-bolt isn't optimal for side punches. Works great back and forth. I figure you never know when you'll run across a u-bolt, might was well practice a bit with it.
          ....and now you know why I never leave home with a ballhook swivel in my bag But yes, you are right. and to counter that problem I normally stare at the U-bolt when hitting it, particularly when I know I'm going to different sides. I want to see if the bag floats up and off or slides on the bar. It helps give a bit of an edge to correct it on the next punch if possible.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ukspeedbag
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2007

Great video Tim! I wonder what it would be like if I went back to the U bolt. I would probably find it a struggle, but at the end of the day, it's what we all get accustomed too.

Comment

• sparrky37
              • Jan 2010

Where do you get a TC 4x7? Why is scissorhands so good w/ his U bolt from Everlast?question suited for him I'm sure.

Comment

• fingers
                Speed Bag Guru
                • May 2008

I find a slightly heavier bag works better with my U bar! Scissorhands once told me he uses this swivel http://store.titleboxing.com/title-p...ro-swivel.html i think it may be a better design with the thinner centre post!! i still use the wider style but then again i dont/cant do much side work!! but Scissorhands really smokes it!!

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by sparrky37 View Post
                  Where do you get a TC 4x7? Why is scissorhands so good w/ his U bolt from Everlast?question suited for him I'm sure.
                  Ringside sells the Top Contender bags.

Originally posted by fingers View Post
                  I find a slightly heavier bag works better with my U bar! Scissorhands once told me he uses this swivel http://store.titleboxing.com/title-p...ro-swivel.html i think it may be a better design with the thinner centre post!! i still use the wider style but then again i dont/cant do much side work!! but Scissorhands really smokes it!!
                  Good point, indeed a bigger bag may work better, and a different design of U bolt may help as well. I'm using it as a speed challenge, so I wanted the fastest combination possible.

Comment

• SpeedBagScissorhands
                    Spin Master

• Aug 2008

whats up guys. to answer your question - I use the swivel that fingers just posted the title platinum pro. only because its the first swivel I ever started with and theres noway in hell im unscrewing everything off my tree- lol what a pain it was to get it up there its just something i got used to. i only hit on a ball hook maybe once and i think that was in the speed bag truck. my gym also has a u bolt swivel. scissorhands!

Comment

• riqal
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Aug 2006

I have a lot of love for the u-bolt swivel when it comes to basic boxing style speedbagging. Also the chainlink. They are both excellent swivels for getting a great workout in a small amount of time.
                      I also have the plastic ballhook, and what I have discovered about my swivel preferences over the years is that I long for the plastic ballhook whenever I feel like trying some of the techniques that you guys do. It is the best swivel for "bible style" bagging.
                      However, the most satisfying bagging experience for me has always been basic boxing style bagging - fast and proper form, of course. But boxing style bagging with the plastic ballhook often times is a rather dull experience for me (with many of my bags). And So I always go back to either the u-bolt or the chainlink (never a dull experience with any of my bags on either of these swivels). I would have to say that the chainlink is a bit faster than the u-bolt, because of the chainlink's shorter rebound arc. It also depends on the bag - some bags provide a more enjoyable punching experience on the chainlink than on the u-bolt and vice-versa.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I think for front punching only (Boxer Style Bagging) just about any swivel will work well.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...