Hitting for two months -- feedback appreciated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Griffin
    • Jan 2010

Hitting for two months -- feedback appreciated!

OK -- here it is, my first video. My wife shot this on her iPhone at the gym this morning, so the quality isn't great, but I wanted to get something up for you guys to critique. I'm open to any and all feedback -- I want to get better!

This is about the extent of my repertoire -- I don't have any of the great moves you guys do yet, but I'm feeling stronger and more comfortable at the bag than I was.

Thanks for watching --

• RenoRattler
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    OK -- here it is, my first video. My wife shot this on her iPhone at the gym this morning, so the quality isn't great, but I wanted to get something up for you guys to critique. I'm open to any and all feedback -- I want to get better!

This is about the extent of my repertoire -- I don't have any of the great moves you guys do yet, but I'm feeling stronger and more comfortable at the bag than I was.

Thanks for watching --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg30IFLVlbk
    Nice strength in those strikes! Once everyone starts weighing in, and helping out, improvement comes quickly.

I am no master, but the one thing I noticed right away is your elbow position. You have them down quite a bit, which makes you hit more from the shoulders, in a downward motion.

Generally, if you keep your elbows up, and strike more from the elbows you will have more control. Check this vid to see some of the masters doing it.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

HEY Griffin,

Reno Rattler is right your elbows look a bit low but You also look a bit tense in your movements. Try to relax the shoulders and arms a bit more. Looks to me like your straining a little more than necessary. You've got good timing and equal power. the bag sound was steady and even. Just try to set you arms/elbows up a bit more and relax. With your arms and hands a bit higher you want have to swing so far to get to the bag so your arms can be a bit more relaxed due to the smaller movements. DON'T worry about "going fast" right now. Speed comes with control, not necessarily by hitting harder.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Good stuff..... just loosen up a bit. Yeah, the punches are a bit hammer-fisted and although that is fine, the continuous hitting like that won't totally control the bag from every angle, thusly making it more difficult to get into advanced punching....
        Also, raise your elbows a bit.
        Try to do a "front knuckle" punch and then a "pinky knuckle" punch, both with right hand. Then do the same with the left hand. You should feel a need to focus in on the sweet spots those punches require. That mixed withthe elbows out should help a bit.
        BAG ON!

Comment

• Roc Stone
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2007

I thought you went well with transition between the 1 2, 1 2 and the 1, 1, 1, 1 and back again.

On the 1 2, 1 2 with the 2nd punch of each arm, see how it feel if you make more of a circular motion, just rolling the forearm from the elbow
          sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Griffin
            • Jan 2010

Everyone -- thanks for the excellent feedback! I'm already working hard at keeping my elbows higher!

I got started at my local gym by a guy who showed me one or two moves... so I've probably acquired a few bad habits.

Alan's book and DVD's arrived in the mail today, though -- so watch out! Elbows are coming up and major improvements on the way.

(Plus, my home platform is damn near complete -- more videos on the way!)

Comment

• deano
              Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

looks extra good for just 2 months Griffin.deano

Comment

• Tim
                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                Everyone -- thanks for the excellent feedback! I'm already working hard at keeping my elbows higher!
                Looks good, you're off to a great start. I would have suggested the same. You'll want to start mixing in some FSP (Front Straight Punch) too. Doing all that Front Circle Punch (FCP) may result in sore hands, let the front of the knuckles take some of the force.

Alan's book and DVD's arrived in the mail today, though -- so watch out! Elbows are coming up and major improvements on the way.
                Cool. There's an amazing amount of info in the bible - book or DVD. Enjoy. That was definitely the water shed moment for me (this was before Youtube so I had no inkling of what was possible with the speed bag until I saw the bible).

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...