X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wattsnot
    • May 2007

My son's first MMA fight while home on leave

My son came home on leave during Thanksgiving. His first MMA fight was 11/28/09. In order to make the weight cut off at 170 pounds he couldn’t eat food or drink water for 2 days. He ran on a treadmill in a rubber suit as well to burn off extra calories and reduce water weight. The day before the fight he had the weigh in. The scales read exactly 170.00 lbs! So far so good, right? After a 2 ½ hr car ride to the fight it didn’t turn out so good. He unfortunately lost his fight to a very good fighter. We then had a 2 ½ hr ride back home. He packed and then we drove 3 hours to the airport and caught his flight. After dropping him off Mom and Dad had a 3 hour ride back home. Not a real good night!

here is a link

My oldest son's (blue trunks) His first fight while home on leave. Didn't go as he planned.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

On the other hand, your son was home for thanksgiving. You got to spend some great time with him, sharing his love for MMA. You got to be Ringside for his first fight, and make a memory that less than 1% of Dad's ever get. Or sons for that matter. Other than the fact that he lost ( so did half the sons that fought that night - or any night for that matter...), it sounds like a great night. He'll be talking about that time with you into his old age.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• wattsnot
      • May 2007

I agree Alan. I was being sarcastic and it came off wrong to you sorry. It took alot of balls to do this. I would have never signed up for this. He called the promoter up from the west coast to schadule this. I am behind both my Marines and my daughter in college.

Comment

• Geronimo
        • Sep 2009

Much respect!

All I can say is that anyone that can do what your son did just to go for his 1st am. MMA fight out of town, win lose or drawn hes accomplished a lot. The lose is just a step in him further success! Everyone must lose to improve on what caused the lesson in the first place.

Geronimo

Comment

• Roc Stone
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2007

Big UPS!!!
          sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• SpeedBagScissorhands
            Spin Master

• Aug 2008

win or lose i give anyone who gets in the ring alot of credit. everyone loses sometimes. thats life. he'll come back and win. scissorhands

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by SpeedBagScissorhands View Post
              win or lose i give anyone who gets in the ring alot of credit. everyone loses sometimes. thats life. he'll come back and win. scissorhands
              x2 Takes a lot of guts to do that. Sounds like he was probably pretty weak from all the weight loss. Maybe if he can work it to drop less he'll be in better shape for next time.

Comment

• wattsnot
                • May 2007

What got me was the end of the fight. When the announcer ask what he thought about his opponent. He said mismatch. I will never forget this arrogant person. I will try to take the high road. I have two son’s in the marines and all hell is going to break out.

Comment

• Roc Stone
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2007

That's a very poor show to say that about any contestant, no matter what the competition is.

His time will come, for better or for worse. Just stick to your guns. It will all work out in the end.
                  sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Jordan
                    • Jun 2009

hey just being in the octagon is pretty sweet in my opinion...good for him...hope he wins the next one!!!

Comment

• wattsnot
                      • May 2007

Thanks for all your support. What my slide show did'nt show was the arrogance of this young man. I guess they post all video's from his gym on youtube. He actually said at the end of the video "This was a miss match" and pushed my kid. Most matches lasted less than one round. This fight lasted until the middle of the third round. You got to see this video and the cockiness of this individual.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV2aZbqX7ao http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGx7w...eature=related
                      Last edited by wattsnot; 02-05-2010, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
                        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by wattsnot View Post
                        Thanks for all your support. What my slide show did'nt show was the arrogance of this young man. I guess they post all video's from his gym on youtube. He actually said at the end of the video "This was a miss match" and pushed my kid. Most matches lasted less than one round. This fight lasted until the middle of the third round. You got to see this video and the cockiness of this individual.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV2aZbqX7ao http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGx7w...eature=related
                        You simply cannot control the behavior of others. The world of athletics is filled with all kinds of bad behavior that somehow gets tolerated. The lack of class and self control is growing rampant in sports. Just be happy that your son is not a girl playing soccor against Elizabeth Lambert. Just imagine your the dad of the girl wearing #21 for Brigham Young.

Last edited by Speedbag; 02-05-2010, 08:23 PM.
                        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• wattsnot
                          • May 2007

I don’t know what’s in her shorts but it must be a lot of Testosterone . Thanks for the link. Ha ha. Might be a couple of little speed bags!
                          Last edited by wattsnot; 02-17-2010, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...