• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beatkeeper1
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2010

New to the speed bag

What's up the name's Eric, I'm 20 from RI and just found this site. Been weight training for about a year and a half and I figured what's the point of having muscle if you don't know how to use it. Just picked up the everlast pack the has the mount and the vinyl bag. What a hunk of junk lol the only thing i kept was the swivel and platform for now. Been a blast two days in just getting the LRLRLRLRLR pattern down.

• Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Welcome Beatkeeper1. Great name!

Glad to have you here and that's an awesome looking Ceiling mount platform. Very nicely hung! I hope you can post some video soon and let us see how it works!
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ukspeedbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

Welcome Beatkeeper1.

Wow! That all looks sold, well done.

Comment

• Beatkeeper1
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jan 2010

Thanks, so far so good. The parents certainly know when I'm down there lol.

Comment

• dax_q
          • Jan 2008

One word to describe that platform and I mean this in a good way: overengineered. And yes I know that is not really one word.

Dax

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Beatkeeper1 View Post
            What's up the name's Eric, I'm 20 from RI and just found this site.
            Welcome to the forums.

Been weight training for about a year and a half and I figured what's the point of having muscle if you don't know how to use it.
            It's also a great way to pass time between sets (Assuming your speed bag is in the same location as your weights of course)

Just picked up the everlast pack the has the mount and the vinyl bag. What a hunk of junk lol the only thing i kept was the swivel and platform for now.
            Yes that particular unit is pretty bare bones,but it looks like you've got it mounted up nice and solid. I see they're shipping the carabiner style swivels now, those are nice.
            Last edited by Tim; 01-10-2010, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Welcome Beatkeeper1!
              Check out some Alan Kahn vids for the best beat keeping I've ever seen on a speed bag!
              I have some too under the spinsmashpop name on youtube.
              The world needs more punch drummers!

BAG ON!

Comment

• Roc Stone
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Oct 2007

Welcome aboard
                sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Beatkeeper1
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jan 2010

thanks for the welcomes, came up with this name for a lot because I'm a keeper in soccer and have been playing the drums for quite a while. any suggestions on a swivel? or should I keep it the way it is? Also would putting a bag of unmixed quikcrete on the board above the bag a good idea?

Comment

• Beatkeeper1
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by dax_q View Post
                    One word to describe that platform and I mean this in a good way: overengineered. And yes I know that is not really one word.

Dax
                    Guess I'm doing something right lol taking some engineering classes at community college.

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Thanks, so far so good. The parents certainly know when I'm down there lol.
                      That is the biggest drawback to ceiling mounted systems. They are certainly the most stable, but the floor above just can't seem to escape the "rumble" of someone using it.
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Beatkeeper1
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jan 2010

Comment

• metaldad
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2007

Hey Beatkeeper! First off, welcome to the forum! Second, great job on the ceiling mount. On to your vid, you're looking good for having only been at it for three days. Am I right in that assumption? You're only gonna get better. From what I could see, you just need to relax a bit and work on keeping your elbows up. You've got great power in your hands, everything else will start to gel as you work on it more. And you being a drummer....well, check out some of Spinsmashpop's videos and you'll see how drummers tear it up! Good luck to you and looking forward to more posts and video!
                          Last edited by metaldad; 01-11-2010, 09:23 AM. Reason: spelling
                          sigpic

Comment

• SpeedBagSkunk
                            Speed Bag Skunk doesn't need a title, you already know

• Oct 2006

Nice platform

sniff sniff, reminds me when i was just starting out and i would make my platform killer sturdy "not worrying of corse what it looked like, but the turned out pretty good. after i finally made a really sturdy one i desided to up my game a little bit and dry walled around it, caulked, and painted. Looked great. (Sadly to tell everyone that platform the was the platform that had the 4 bags on it was taken down at my own house so a moment of silence for a fallin platform. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................

Any ways might be an idea that you do. if you end up doing that i also suggest going to home depo or lowes and getting a small table top you can usdally find them already cut in a circle and sanded down nicley. Will replace your platform (black) you have now. So lets review
                            1.AWESOME PLATFORM FOR SURE!!!!! Skunk Certified
                            2.Wanna make it a little better
                            3.1 peice dry wall $10
                            2. paintable caulk $2
                            3. some dry wall screws $4
                            4. new table top in wood department at lumber store PRE CUT $17
                            5. Your paint and Paint Brush 10.00
                            and you will have a KILLER platform all closed in and painted for less then $33.00 and a little bit of time. Not that it matters what the platform looks like. because to most of us baggers as long as it works then hey im good. BUT if ya wanna step it up a notch (kinda like billy mack with the electric winch platform) then make your speedbag area your new home!!

lol hope this helps brother!@! welcome to your new addiction!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

3 days. Good solid control. I have video of myself on days one and two. I was so happy just to keep the basic punch going and switch hands! There is so much to learn and it's all killer every step of the way.
                              When I saw all the greats like Alan Kahn, Skunk, Dee Pooler, Tim Platt, Billy Mack, etc.... I was like a kid watching rock stars! The stuff they were pulling off was and is Godlike! It wasn't that I thought I could or couldn't do it, I just wanted to try to do it!
                              Have fun...
                              BAG ON!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...