• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Jingle Bag Rock!!!!!

MERRY BAGMAS! I got it done! This took hours of practice! I tried to get everything in.... fist rolls, drum rolls, reverses, double time, 3 and 4 way elbows, sides, linking, split fists, offbeats.... I still forgot to put in double fists (in a fist roll).....
    It ain't easy to keep this in time and not mis hit! Just one more reason why Alan Kahn is the man! I wish I had more time as I get so much better when I put the pressure of the video camera on.
    I hope y'all dig it. I haven't put up a vid in a while and I wish I was like Skunk and Scissor do!
    If you like this tune, it is from a CD Billy Idol and I did in 2006 for Best Buy. It's called "Billy Idol: Happy Holidays". There was minimal promotion, but we had fun making it. All the classic Xmas songs are on it. He sings his butt off. I played all the instruments. No one would think he would be able to pull something like this off or that he would want to. But he doesn't care. He does whatever he wants. He has nothing to prove unless it's to himself. He just wanted to do something for Xmas on his website. But mgmt. played the first few tracks we did for Best Buy and that was that. He loves Elvis and if it's good enough for Elvis, it's good enough for Billy.....
    You can still order one through his website or amazon.com (I think) or his myspace. If not, let me know and I'll make it happen.....
    Anyhow.... BAGS UP, BAG ON and
    MERRY BAGMAS!

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Hey Brian, once again you have proved yourself to be the "El Wizardo" of baggin' to music! No one else has the phrasing and can put together the combos the way you do.
    Always enjoy your vids. Take it cool.
    T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• SpeedBagScissorhands
      Spin Master

• Aug 2008

Amazing work BT!!!! you dont miss a beat!! perfectly executed combos! and the name is perfect- JINGLE BAG ROCK! 2 scissors UP! SBSH

Comment

• deano
        Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

spot on

excellent Brian,top combos to a catchy Christmas tune,don't leave it till next Christmas to post another vid,enjoy the festive season.deano

Comment

• spinsmashpop
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by TJ_MaTee View Post
          Hey Brian, once again you have proved yourself to be the "El Wizardo" of baggin' to music! No one else has the phrasing and can put together the combos the way you do.
          Always enjoy your vids. Take it cool.
          Thanks TJ! I just noticed I left out this combo that is an awesome triple downward elbow going into a double outward elbow, and then the whole thing reverses to the other side. It is in groups of 9 beats and flows in a great way in a shuffle, which this song is. Ahhhh! And that was one of the easier moves I do with elbows! I may just go for it again tonight!!!!

Originally posted by SpeedBagScissorhands View Post
          Amazing work BT!!!! you dont miss a beat!! perfectly executed combos! and the name is perfect- JINGLE BAG ROCK! 2 scissors UP! SBSH
          Thanks Scissor! You and Skunk are putting up so many vids I'm getting jealous! I gotta be more like Dean Karnazes; less sleep so you can be awake to get more done! But I already average 5 hours a night!

Originally posted by deano View Post
          excellent Brian,top combos to a catchy Christmas tune,don't leave it till next Christmas to post another vid,enjoy the festive season.deano
          Thanks Deano! I'll get more up soon as long as you post some more; and slow down!!!!! We would all love to see some footage of you explaining your awesome over/under elbow techniques. They are ridiculous! I mean, you have Alan Kahn posting snapshots of your clips and analyzing them! That's heavy duty! After I posted this vid I went and watched an Alan Kahn clip and man, as usual, he puts you in your place! He's got elbows coming from all over the place and speed to burn...and it's all in time! I'm just a little drummer guy who can put a few combos together cuz I understand rhythm!
          DECK THE HALLS WITH BAGS OF HOLLY!
          WALKING IN A WINTER BAGGERLAND!

Comment

• Jordan
            • Jun 2009

Amazing as always MERRY CHRISTMAS and BAG ON

Comment

• fingers
              Speed Bag Guru
              • May 2008

SSP that was outstanding!! great work i always find it all goes to pot when i put the camera on all my best work is left on the cutting room floor!!......or that's my excuse.

Comment

• paranday
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Sep 2009

Very nice!

By the way, did you get any feedback from other drummers from your Modern Drummer piece on the speed bag?

Comment

• Biff
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

BT, I just watch (and listen) in amazement as you and Alan simply slay the bag in perfect rhythm. It really is something wizardly.

Another outstanding performance. Maybe we should have an annual awards ceremony for PD'ers called the "BagmyAwards." But then, you guys would win every category.

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Oh yeah baby!! Jingle Bag Rock!! Another memorable vid from a master on the rise............Re-phrase: you have mastered the bag noble BT, you're just too humble to take all the credit. Great vid brother!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                      ...I posted this vid I went and watched an Alan Kahn clip and man, as usual, he puts you in your place! He's got elbows coming from all over the place and speed to burn...and it's all in time! I'm just a little drummer guy who can put a few combos together cuz I understand rhythm!
                      Nah, BT your WAY more than a little drummer guy who understands rhythm.

You're mixing rhythmic grooves with bag sounds way beyond the ability of "a few combo's".

That O-TES ' ' ' FDP at :27-28 (R-R\L ' ' ' L-R) just flows right there. It's not a mix I would normal "hear" or feel, but it really fits great. You're basically working in what I call "straight time punching" but kick in that combo making it syncopated by starting the elbow "ON" the beat and putting that last of the triple on the "back beat", then using the Double punch to get back on. Brilliant! using the lead fist of the FDP as your pick up beat to sync back on time. Very cool move.

and then again at :29-30. You do O-TES ' ' ' FCP ' ' ' FDP ( L-L\R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R-L), mixing in the single beat in the middle. You're making I would would call normally "Straight time punching" combinations become a bit syncopated by adding in an extra beat with the triple, or starting at a different part of the measure than I normally would, but it sounds really nice. It's a different beat flow than I feel, but it works. I know you and MetalDad really hear those triples and use them well.

Cool use of FDP at :33-34 just before "for the right time...". That was an interesting mix.

One of the most amazing for this is 46 - 55. you throw in a few triples and a four way elbow, all DEAD ON BEAT. Great stuff.

And the lead shadow punching triples ( making it a four beat combo) at 1:16-1:18 is an amazing combo. I don't normally hear "four beat" combo's in my head when punch drumming. Obviously I have rhythmic work to do on that one, and especially using the under elbow FSP shadow punch. That is looking very cool the more I see it.

You also did some beautiful mixing of single fist linking and a very great use of RDP (RSP ' ' ' RDP ' ' ' RSP) at 1:28 - 1:29 to keep the pattern going from behind the bag, then bring it back to the front. That shows rhythmic understanding and bag control to use that combo. Not a tough combo on the bag, but tricky to use at speed in the middle of a song and keep all the blows dead on beat. Many punch drumming samples forget the important of the RDP in a single punching sequence behind the bag.

and the O-TES ' FDP at 1:47 is insane: looks like this: R-R\L ' R-L, making it sound like a 5-punch Fist roll, but it's definitely an elbow combination.

You might think you're a simple drummer throwing a few combinations "in time" but you got me study YOUR video's. You're demonstrating some very imaginative uses of the bag beat, in ways I don't use it.

The only off beat sounds I would say is the double time attempts, which sounded a bit slow. :20-21, :39-:40. On that song, which is pretty fast, you really have to step on it to pull off the Double time double punches. But I'm just being picky, because the rest was dead on beat.

You're SDP ' ' SDP has really come along also.

Great Job, BT, taking it back to Idol, christmas time, and punch drumming.
                      Last edited by Speedbag; 12-26-2009, 11:06 AM.
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                        Amazing as always MERRY CHRISTMAS and BAG ON
                        Thanks Jordan! On the 1st day of Xmas my true love gave to me, a speed bag hanging from the tree!

Originally posted by fingers View Post
                        SSP that was outstanding!! great work i always find it all goes to pot when i put the camera on all my best work is left on the cutting room floor!!......or that's my excuse.
                        Thanks Fingers! Santa Claus Is Coming To Bag!

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                        Very nice!

By the way, did you get any feedback from other drummers from your Modern Drummer piece on the speed bag?
                        Thanks Paranday! Yes, there have been a few nice comments and a few others who have actually contacted me and went and got a platform and have become baggers! Oh Christmas Bag, oh Christmas Bag, how lovely is your platform!

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                        BT, I just watch (and listen) in amazement as you and Alan simply slay the bag in perfect rhythm. It really is something wizardly.

Another outstanding performance. Maybe we should have an annual awards ceremony for PD'ers called the "BagmyAwards." But then, you guys would win every category.
                        Thanks Bif! I'll have a Blue Bagmas without you!
                        Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                        Oh yeah baby!! Jingle Bag Rock!! Another memorable vid from a master on the rise............Re-phrase: you have mastered the bag noble BT, you're just too humble to take all the credit. Great vid brother!
                        Thanks Metaldad! Happy Bagdays!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

[QUOTE=Speedbag;15968]Nah, BT your WAY more than a little drummer guy who understands rhythm.

You're mixing rhythmic grooves with bag sounds way beyond the ability of "a few combo's".

Thanks Alan! As always, I enjoy reading your input and info. on mine and everyone's vids! It'll keep getting better.....
                          BAG ON!

Comment

• Roc Stone
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Oct 2007

Encore, encore!
                            sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Nov 2007

Hey BT, that was an outstanding performance. Loved the 4-way elbow strikes and not missing a beat! Yeah baby!
                              Amazing as always.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...