• Oct 2007

Speedbag- In Out Elbows into an Outward Elbow Fist Combination

My version of hitting Deano Style

Because I didn't make the bell in that 1st vid I made another

sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

That is one complicated combination. Well done, Roc is Throwing in a free (shadow) Side Single Punch (SSP) in front of a Side-Triple Elbow Strike (S-TES).

For those trying to decipher this, the sequence of what should happen is a little easier to understand than the execution of it.

Basically, he is doing this off a continuous alternating Side Triple Elbow Strike Combination. It looks like this:

S-TES ' ' S-TES... repeat combination: using (f)ist and (e)lbow symbols, you could say a S-TES = Le ' Lf ' Rf, with all three parts hitting the bag.

Using these symbols, The S-TES ' ' S-TES combo might look like this: Le ' Lf ' Rf ' ' Re ' Rf ' Lf.

The key to this combo is the "lead fist" in the S-TES, which is the middle part to hit the bag: Le ' Lf ' Rf. This fist will do the shadow punch on the other side of the bag. It works like this. As the last fist in the S-TES hits the bag, (Rf in the above example) that lead fist (Lf) will come back in from the "other side" as a single shadow SSP in front of the S-TES on that side. You can have it hit the bag either "over" or "under" the other elbow, (although over seems easier.) As that shadow SSP connects you have to get the other arms elbow out of the way of that punch and into position to do the S-TES. The fist that hits the shadow SSP then has to drop and re-circle back to be the last fist of that S-TES. This happens very fast and is an unstable combo due to the Side-to-Side split fist that occurs in the middle. The split fist occures when the last fist of the S-TES hit, then the shadow SSP from the other side after two rebounds. SSP slit fist is the hardest split fist combo and demands excellent control of the bag contact and rebound angle.

If all that sounds complicated, Well, it is. it looks like this on paper: ( I'll start with a normal S-TES combo, then write the shadow SSP combo.

S-TES ' ' S-TES ' ' (SSP) ' S-TES ' ' (SSP) 'S-TES....

or

Le ' Lf ' Rf ' ' Re ' Rf ' Lf ' ' (Rf) ' Le ' Lf ' Rf ' ' (Lf) ' Re ' Rf ' Lf ' '....

Very impressive, ROC! nice job: I can testify, it's a very hard combo to pull off consistently.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Since you mentioned DEANO, and his amazing video, I will say that it still remains one of my very favorites that I have watched and studied more than any other I have seen. In fact, I made many still screen captures to attempt to verify what he is doing. He (Deano) used a lot of Front Straight Punches or Hook Punches from the side instead of the Side Single Punch. He did not do some much of a predictable Side to side combo as much as a non-stop mix of Front Double Punch, Side Double Punch and shadow hooks, but it still amazes me. He does these non stop from Under or Over the elbow. He also hits the back of his hand occassionally, which is a throw back to an older style punching.
    Here are some stills:
    Attached Files
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Great stuff Roc! That ain't easy!
      BAG IT UP!

Comment

• ukspeedbag
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Nov 2007

Excellent work Roc! Looking very impressive mate.

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
          My version of hitting Deano Style
          Tremendous Roc, thats great. Nice use of the phantom punch.

Since you mentioned DEANO, and his amazing video, I will say that it still remains one of my very favorites that I have watched and studied more than any other I have seen.
          Deano has been certified awesome by the master himself

In fact, I made many still screen captures to attempt to verify what he is doing.
          I'm glad someone else is confused by it too, so much going on so quickly and quite a unique style. Props to Deano.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2007

Roc, you inspired me to give this a try. I got into a bit of a tangle at times too!
            Thanks man, for sharing. Deano's techniques are amazing to watch, his skills are outstanding.

Comment

• deano
              Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

Go roc

Good on ya mate,havn a go at the so called phantom punch,on a Jim Bradley as well,keep working on it ,the combo will become tighter and faster and you will be able to sneak more in under and over.had a laugh when the ball flew off the hook,top stuff Roc,still trying on the cleto,thanks Roc have agood christmas,will catch up for beer and punch new year.deano

Comment

• Biff
                Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Hey Roc, good stuff. Deano is the man when it comes to elbow combos. UK posted up some vid on elbows as well as Skunk. So much to learn. Just when I thought I was moving up the ladder, someone goes and adds several more rungs.

There's always something new to learn. Sorta like life, eh?

AK, nice description of the combination. We can always rely on you to breakdown the combination into its individual elements.

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                  Hey Roc, good stuff. Deano is the man when it comes to elbow combos. UK posted up some vid on elbows as well as Skunk. So much to learn. Just when I thought I was moving up the ladder, someone goes and adds several more rungs.

There's always something new to learn. Sorta like life, eh?

AK, nice description of the combination. We can always rely on you to breakdown the combination into its individual elements.
                  Yea. Now If I could just do them as well...

With every video I become more amazed of what I didn't do with a speed bag. As with all things, knowing how to do something, and then doing it, are often two different things.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Nice work RS! Dang! LOL I guess you don't know your own strength!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Roc Stone
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Oct 2007

Day 1 on getting this combo down had a few aspects about it. Pleasure and pain would be the 1st two to come to mind, shortly followed by frustration.

As Uk mentions, he got into tangles. Instead of tangling it I kept knocking the tip of my L elbow into my forearm/wrist on my R arm, which did make it sore, bruised and slightly awkward to hold my bevi whilst clubbing later that night.

In the later vid the idea was to slow the combo right down and focus on more reps. Getting consistency is the big one with this combo.

Have taken this a bit further now. Am getting the under happening, but wanna use an upper-cut for this strike, feels good too. There are a few variations I wanna modify with this combo as well. I'm thinking of naming the 'Butterfly', which is a combination of combos incoorporating the over and under elbow strikes; it goes a little somethin like this:

L side over, R side under, L side under and R side over.

Try and complete 3 stanzas of this/that and see how you go. See how your 'iambic parameters' are after that!

Of course I've also made many attempts at the over elbow under ' ' alternate and repeat, which in my opinion is the KING of all speedbag combos. It's gonna take dedicated time and patients, but I'z do see the light.
                      Last edited by Roc Stone; 12-26-2009, 04:50 PM.
                      sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Nice Job Roc, Not easy stuff, real smooth!
                        T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• atgatt
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Nov 2007

RS, a lot of moves. It would be neat to see it in slow motion too. Way to go!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...