X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Deep Freeze Can't Stop Me!

I'm so addicted. It's been sub-freezing temperatures here for the past several days and I've been having speedbagging withdrawals! I finally ventured out to the garage yesterday and managed to do a 1-hour workout... but only because the sun was shining in my corner of the driveway. Here's a photo of my frozen water bottle.

And, I've posted another video. I'm not sure of the name of the punch near the end, is it called a double-reverse punch...? The video camera seemed to capture the movement of the bag in a weird way, so I thought I'd post it. (And the sun cast a shadow and, well, the artistic side of me thought it was cool.)

Attached Files
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

You're a baggin', and I'm a grinnin' pretty much sums up this vid. That bag is becoming more educated all the time it would appear.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

MsDeville! Wow!

That's pretty impressive stuff. I like your front doubles and rear doubles, your doing them different to what myself and most people do. I have to give them a try.

I like your shadow, nice idea and the music choice was spot on!

Keep them coming!

Comment

• Biff
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Dee B. Goode. I hit to that song a lot; I like hitting to the old 50's and 60's stuff. Nice job! And you're right, the bag does have some different movement in spots, looking warped at times.

UK, I think why it looks different is because she is not fully extending her right fist straight through to the back of the bag after the FDP (L-R), but dropping it, looping it under the bag and back behind the bag for her RDP (L-R), giving a different look to the combo.

Dee, after striking the bag with your FDP (front double punch), try extending both fists straight through to the other side of the bag, and then do your RDP (rear double punch) extending both fists straight through to the front of the bag. Similar to single-fist linking, pass the fist straight through the bag and then hit from the back side extending the fist straight through to the front. With a little practice you'll have it in no time.

Alan is much better at explaining these things; listen to him

Regardless, I thought you did a great job.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by paranday View Post
          You're a baggin', and I'm a grinnin' pretty much sums up this vid. That bag is becoming more educated all the time it would appear.
          I've purchased 3 bags since I started bagging 4 months ago – 2 more Everlasts and a Century bag. But, I just keep going back to that (trusty) red Everlast bag... I liken it to a comfy over-stuffed sofa...
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
            MsDeville! Wow!

I like your front doubles and rear doubles, your doing them different to what myself and most people do.

Keep them coming!
            My trainer/husband (Raul) tells me the same thing! I've always thought of myself as "different."

I can't seem to "get it right" with those front and rear doubles, despite all of the suggestions and guidance from Alan, Brian, etc. I'm actually making it more complex than it is – but, that's how we women are. Complexity is our middle name!

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Biff View Post
              Dee B. Goode.

Dee, after striking the bag with your FDP (front double punch), try extending both fists straight through to the other side of the bag, and then do your RDP (rear double punch) extending both fists straight through to the front of the bag. Similar to single-fist linking, pass the fist straight through the bag and then hit from the back side extending the fist straight through to the front. With a little practice you'll have it in no time.

Thanks for the advice, Biff. Raul tells me the same thing, but my brain just can't compute! Maybe the fact that I'm a Leftie has something to do with it. And, then again, maybe not.

I'm not gonna give up, though.
              I just have to watch more videos of all you "seasoned" baggers. I WILL MASTER THIS!

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Dee B. Goode. I hit to that song a lot; I like hitting to the old 50's and 60's stuff. Nice job! And you're right, the bag does have some different movement in spots, looking warped at times.
                Yes it changes shape a lot and I believe it is either the camera angle, lens, or a small "baggie gremlin" flopping around inside the bag. Haven't seen a baggie gremlin in a while, but they do exist.... Makes the bag shape change from teardrop, to basketball, to bananna and half-moon, all which are evident in this video... Might be the cold weather.

UK, I think why it looks different is because she is not fully extending her right fist straight through to the back of the bag after the FDP (L-R), but dropping it, looping it under the bag and back behind the bag for her RDP (L-R), giving a different look to the combo.

Actually, you were doing a great job. The simple truth Biff (you'll be teaching this shortly....) is that she is "rotating the fists" on every Double Punch, and she does this to lead with her Left Fist, which is apparently the most comfortable lead for her when linking Double Punches, Front or Reverse. Watch her hands (1:24-1:40) and notice the contact order: (L-R)_RDP ' ' (L-R)_FDP ' ' (L-R)_RDP.....

Some people move to this as an advanced combination, for the "easier" way is to do what you said, ...extend both fists straight out and bring them straight back, which creates L-R ' ' R-L ' ' L-R , but others find double punching combinations flow better by leading with the same fist from the front or back, (which creates the fist rotation). I believe Dee's issue is with the Reverse Double Punch (RDP), for she is changing the lead fist of Front Double Punching L-R_(FDP) ' ' ' R-L_(FDP) [:10 - :25sec] very easily, so leading with either fist from the front is no problem for her. I didn't see a Right Lead RDP, so that is where to focus. If I was helping her, I would have her try doing continuous RDP, like this
                L-R_(RDP) ' ' ' R-L_(RDP)..... and help her get her Right hand leading from behind the bag. I would also have her do some Fist Rotations on RDP ' ' FDP ' ' RDP, leading with the Right fist: R-L ' ' R-L ' ' R-L.
                I would also have her do RDP ' ' ..to Outward Elbow strikes, for these combinations will make you lead with the elbow of the second fistin the RDP, eliminating the ability to "rotate" the leading fist on the pass through to the front.

It will look like this:

L-R_RDP ' ' R-R/L_OTES. (notice the Right arm (elbow) leads after the RDP, not rotating the left fist forward...)

But that's just me.....

So did I! In fact, from a "Punch Drumming" Standpoint, you were keeping great time (right on beat!) with your single punching from :26 to 1:10. The rebound sound is not heard, but it doesn't matter. Tap your foot to the beat of the song and watch how your single fist punching pretty much lines up exactly on the beat (foot tap). I can tell you, this is a pretty fast song and keeping straight time "on-the-beat" with that size bag (11x8??) is pretty impressive.

Great Job Dee. You weather might be cold but your speed bag is smokin'!
                Last edited by Speedbag; 12-11-2009, 06:32 AM.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Great vid! Great doubles! Although you do them differently, I think they look cool!
                  BAG ON!

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                    Great vid! Great doubles! Although you do them differently, I think they look cool!
                    BAG ON!
                    They do look cool! That's why I'm going to give them a go!

Comment

• deano
                      Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

good stuff Dee

its always worth a trip to the shed for a punch Dee,your improving big time with every video ,that was nice work to good music ,keep up the punching and posting deano

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                        Some people move to this as an advanced combination, for the "easier" way is to do what you said, ...extend both fists straight out and bring them straight back, which creates L-R ' ' R-L ' ' L-R , but others find double punching combinations flow better by leading with the same fist from the front or back, (which creates the fist rotation). I believe Dee's issue is with the Reverse Double Punch (RDP), for she is changing the lead fist of Front Double Punching L-R_(FDP) ' ' ' R-L_(FDP) [:10 - :25sec] very easily, so leading with either fist from the front is no problem for her. I didn't see a Right Lead RDP, so that is where to focus. If I was helping her, I would have her try doing continuous RDP, like this
                        L-R_(RDP) ' ' ' R-L_(RDP)..... and help her get her Right hand leading from behind the bag. I would also have her do some Fist Rotations on RDP ' ' FDP ' ' RDP, leading with the Right fist: R-L ' ' R-L ' ' R-L.
                        I would also have her do RDP ' ' ..to Outward Elbow strikes, for these combinations will make you lead with the elbow of the second fistin the RDP, eliminating the ability to "rotate" the leading fist on the pass through to the front.

It will look like this:

L-R_RDP ' ' R-R/L_OTES. (notice the Right arm (elbow) leads after the RDP, not rotating the left fist forward...)

But that's just me.....

...from a "Punch Drumming" Standpoint, you were keeping great time (right on beat!) with your single punching from :26 to 1:10. The rebound sound is not heard, but it doesn't matter. Tap your foot to the beat of the song and watch how your single fist punching pretty much lines up exactly on the beat (foot tap). I can tell you, this is a pretty fast song and keeping straight time "on-the-beat" with that size bag (11x8??) is pretty impressive.

Great Job Dee. You weather might be cold but your speed bag is smokin'!
                        Thanks, Alan!
                        Yeah, that's why I keep a fire extinguisher nearby.

I went out today for a while and did some speedbag drills, per your suggestion. I focused a lot on my right-hand punching. Bottom line is, I lack the upper body strength. Time to break out the weights? *ugh* I'm getting anxious to get in some long practices, but this weather is not cooperating.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                          BAG ON!
                          My brain appears to be on a different wave length with my eye-hand coordination)

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
                          They do look cool! That's why I'm going to give them a go!
                          I can't wait to see the vid, Vini!

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by deano View Post
                            its always worth a trip to the shed for a punch Dee,your improving big time with every video ,that was nice work to good music ,keep up the punching and posting deano
                            You got that right, deano. I'm spending a lot of time out there these days...Thanks for the comments, I'm glad to hear that I'm improving.

I'm still experimenting with bags. I suppose it's just me, but, I can't seem to find a smaller (Everlast) bag with the nice rebound that my big Everlast has. It's pretty crazy for me to be doing those reverse double punches on a bag that's as big as my head * * I'm sure this is part of the reason I can't "follow through" on the punches. I have to make sure that my nose doesn't make contact with the bag.

Comment

• Speedbag
                              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                              Thanks, Alan!
                              Yeah, that's why I keep a fire extinguisher nearby.

I went out today for a while and did some speedbag drills, per your suggestion. I focused a lot on my right-hand punching. Bottom line is, I lack the upper body strength. Time to break out the weights? *ugh* I'm getting anxious to get in some long practices, but this weather is not cooperating.
                              Time for some "air punching" inside. Once the muscles know the movements, (which can easily be practiced without a bag), then the rest is just timing when you put the bag up. work the movements slowly, and focus on position. try to imagine the bag sounds as you punch. After a while you'll hear it in your head pretty easily.
                              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                              The Quest Continues...
                              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...