Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pegasos
    • Feb 2007

How To Minimizing vibration and noise...

Greetings,

It's been some time now since i last wrote in the forum.

I have a homemade platform in my apartment which i installed some time ago (using valuable advice from Mr Khan).

I have made a recent addition which is visible in the pics (the extra round board):

Now, it is probably not the best idea to install a speedbag platform on an apartment ceiling, but that was my only choice, i don't have a basement or anything like that. I see now that with the thickness of the platform increased there is great vibration and noise reduction, which of course the 20 kilo 'package' of sand helps towards too.

But the thing is that the apartment is in a 50 year old building, that has very thin floors and practically no sound barriers between walls. It is just the ceiling concrete and above it, the wooden floor of the apartment above me. This old couple lives there and it appears it is their bedroom above the room i installed the platform. One time the old lady came downstairs and knocked on my door. I had been practising and she asked what was that 'hitting' she heard. She thought i had an old washing machine, attached to a wall, and as it rotates, it shakes the walls. She was afraid it might explode! I told her not to worry, and that i was just doing some kind of labor task and such.

This was BEFORE i added the second round board. However, i want to ask anyone here of ways to further reduce vibration and noise when using the platform, if that is possible.
    Last edited by Pegasos; 11-21-2009, 03:14 AM.
  • ukspeedbag
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Sounds like your going to have problems with your neighbours.

Have you thought about trying some sort of metal to rubber mounts? Similar as those used on a motor vehicle. To give you some idea, take a look here. A visit to your local scrap yard would be the way to go.

Comment

• Pegasos
      • Feb 2007

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think there are any 'scrap yards' where i live..

As for the informative webpage you linked to, where exactly would you suggest such kind of rubber parts should go? Where the wooden platform meets the metal parts? Where the metal parts are linked with each other? Where the metal parts meet the upper wooden ceiling pieces? The main issue is that although the wooden parts are stabilized by screws and the weight of the sand, still, with every hit, there is some force extended that reaches the ceiling, and it then becomes noticed by anyone who is standing/sitting on the room above...

Comment

• ukspeedbag
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Pegasos View Post
        Thanks for the reply.

I don't think there are any 'scrap yards' where i live..

As for the informative webpage you linked to, where exactly would you suggest such kind of rubber parts should go? Where the wooden platform meets the metal parts? Where the metal parts are linked with each other? Where the metal parts meet the upper wooden ceiling pieces? The main issue is that although the wooden parts are stabilized by screws and the weight of the sand, still, with every hit, there is some force extended that reaches the ceiling, and it then becomes noticed by anyone who is standing/sitting on the room above...
        I would say where the metal parts meet the ceiling. The rubber would isolate the vibration by a considerable amount. Not having a scrap yard could be a problem. Maybe try a local vehicle parts shop. You want to look at engine mounts, transmission mounts, suspension mounts and even exhaust mounts.
        For your particular needs with your set-up, I would say you need to go for something like this.

Comment

• Pegasos
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
          I would say where the metal parts meet the ceiling. The rubber would isolate the vibration by a considerable amount.
          I see what you mean man. The rubber would isolate the whole platform, from the ceiling concrete. There are also the wooden parts, which if not there i imagine the vibration trasmited to the ceiling would be horrible. However, there is one issue i consider: if applying say 8 rubber pieces between the top metal parts and the wooden parts on the ceiling, perhaps vibration to the ceiling would be reduced, but then, i suspect that the whole platform would be 'shaking', because the majority of the surface of the upper metal parts would be on the air. Now, 95% of the vibration from every hit transfers directly up to the ceiling, and the platform remains solid still. With rubbers attached to each hole of the upper metal parts, i am afraid vibration will stay in the platform, although i will probably have lessened the noise and vibration transfered to the upper floor. Moreover, if shaking of the whole platform occurs that would likely lead to the loosening of the 8 bolts that attach the platform to the ceiling.... not to mention the whole process will be very time consuming.

Not having a scrap yard could be a problem. Maybe try a local vehicle parts shop. You want to look at engine mounts, transmission mounts, suspension mounts and even exhaust mounts.
          For your particular needs with your set-up, I would say you need to go for something like this.

I did find some anti-vibration rubber parts in the shops i know, but they are mostly round, small parts, not as sophisticated as the ones you suggested. I could of course try to search online.

I am now considering any other places on my platform where i could install these rubber parts, in order to reduce vibration. LIke where the wooden platforms connect with the metal parts, or where the metal parts connect to each other. Any further suggestions???

Comment

• ukspeedbag
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2007

I can't think of any other way. This has been playing on my mind since seeing your last post, yesterday.

I'm no engineer but, I think that by putting isolators anywhere else lower than the ceiling you'll still get a considerable amount of vibration going up the frame. So let's say you put them between the board and the frame. Vibration will still travel up the frame to the ceiling. Cotton reel type isolators can be found on Ebay. Thing is, you can get different grades of rubber depending on the weight. You'll need to talk to someone who knows a bit more. We use these on rear suspensions on Aston Martin DB7's and they are very stiff and strong. If I was to hang your frame on rubber mounts, as a precaution, I would use 4 x safety chains fixed to the ceiling and frame. If the rubbers shear then the chains will stop it falling. Long winded yes, but your safety comes first.

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Now, it is probably not the best idea to install a speedbag platform on an apartment ceiling, but that was my only choice, i don't have a basement or anything like that. I see now that with the thickness of the platform increased there is great vibration and noise reduction, which of course the 20 kilo 'package' of sand helps towards too.
              Are you on the first floor? You could make a cage/rack style freestanding unit. It will take a lot more room comparatively though.

Other than that, you might just need to be extra friendly with your neighbors!!!!

Comment

• Pegasos
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
                I'm no engineer but, I think that by putting isolators anywhere else lower than the ceiling you'll still get a considerable amount of vibration going up the frame. So let's say you put them between the board and the frame. Vibration will still travel up the frame to the ceiling. Cotton reel type isolators can be found on Ebay. Thing is, you can get different grades of rubber depending on the weight. You'll need to talk to someone who knows a bit more. We use these on rear suspensions on Aston Martin DB7's and they are very stiff and strong. If I was to hang your frame on rubber mounts, as a precaution, I would use 4 x safety chains fixed to the ceiling and frame. If the rubbers shear then the chains will stop it falling. Long winded yes, but your safety comes first.
                I m obviously no engineer either. I m just trying to improvise into making my room functional.

I have found some isolators. They are for use in tap water pipes originally. I will attempt to apply them to the lower 4 metal parts where they connect with the middle 4.

It won't be much but i hope they will limit a bit the vibration that transfers up to the rest of the platform.

It would be too much though to try the rubber mounts all the way up and apply chains too.

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                Are you on the first floor? You could make a cage/rack style freestanding unit. It will take a lot more room comparatively though.

Other than that, you might just need to be extra friendly with your neighbors!!!!
                I m on the 4th floor. What kind of freestanding unit is a cage/rack style?

I don't think friendliness will do the thing in this place, since there are many evil old "ladies" who hate their dead end lives and their self, and of course hate each other. I am caught in the middle of this tragic conflict of soon to be departing regretful souls. They do seem to like me, since my existence is a rarity here, but that is a secondary characteristic of them. Their normal status is passive aggressive hateful old age depressive misanthropy, if you know what i mean.

However, this one, leaving above me, watches television loudly, which i can hear too. I will insert the rubbers and try to synchronize my speedbaging when she watches tv, which will keep her distracted. This is my plan now.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

I m on the 4th floor. What kind of freestanding unit is a cage/rack style?
                  Here's the "cage"

I don't think friendliness will do the thing in this place, since there are many evil old "ladies" who hate their dead end lives and their self, and of course hate each other. I am caught in the middle of this tragic conflict of soon to be departing regretful souls. They do seem to like me, since my existence is a rarity here, but that is a secondary characteristic of them. Their normal status is passive aggressive hateful old age depressive misanthropy, if you know what i mean.
                  Haha, one day we'll all be old and cranky... or maybe not.

Comment

• Pegasos
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                    Here's the "cage"

Looks pretty outstanding and non-vibrational...

I trust you are not suggesting i put something like this in this room of mine?

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Looks pretty outstanding and non-vibrational...

I trust you are not suggesting i put something like this in this room of mine?
                      Sure, why not?

It is pretty big. There's no reason it wouldn't work inside a house, but it does take a lot of space.

Comment

• Dutchman
                        Speed Bag Historian
                        • Jun 2006

I've actually been contemplating building something like this using Speedrail pipe fittings, Currently I'm using a first generation Ringside speed bag stand (the ones that you could get with the octaganol platforms, remember those Alan? I've modified it by laminating a 30" melamine round to it). Right now I live in a two bedroom apartment, and there is a corner of the master bedroom that my wife and I have designated the workout area. Besides the bag stand we have a stationary bike, and have rigged up a chinup bar in the doorway that doubles as a hanger for a DEB and light heavy bag.

Comment

• Roc Stone
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Oct 2007

Good stuff Dutchman!

Those pipe clips you're talking about should work fine, particularly if you need to assemble, dis-assemble and re-assemble from time to time

It may just require a bit of periodic mainaintance keeping those clips ties locked up, cause over time there would be bound to be some movement.
                          sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Dutchman
                            Speed Bag Historian
                            • Jun 2006

We use the Speedrail system fittings extensively where I work. They're great for railings and supporting several of the exhibits. I always have a set of Allen wrenches on me when I do my rounds, but it's amazing how well the set screws keep their tension. At first glance the fittings may look a little expensive, untill you start pricing clear straight 4x4's, ouch! Schedule 40 black pipe for the basic material is readily available at the plumbing supply houses here in town, and I can get the professional discount from my place of employment if I pay cash. Besides, a little research reveals that a lot of old time boxing gyms and training camps used this kind of set up.

Comment

• Speedbag
                              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                              I've actually been contemplating building something like this using Speedrail pipe fittings, Currently I'm using a first generation Ringside speed bag stand (the ones that you could get with the octaganol platforms, remember those Alan? I've modified it by laminating a 30" melamine round to it). Right now I live in a two bedroom apartment, and there is a corner of the master bedroom that my wife and I have designated the workout area. Besides the bag stand we have a stationary bike, and have rigged up a chinup bar in the doorway that doubles as a hanger for a DEB and light heavy bag.
                              In all honesty I'd have to see it to know what you're talking about. I have a feeling I have seen it but can't really say "oh yes, that one". Post a pic if you have one.

No doubt your workout corner will be awesome when it's done.
                              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                              The Quest Continues...
                              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...