• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Alternating 4 way out/in elbow strike

I've been trying to work the 4 way out/in elbow into a combination with some other techniques

As always, feedback is welcome from anyone who cares to comment.
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

I replied to this post yesterday and I must have done something wrong because it's not there.

Your technique looks good to me, not that I'm an expert by any means. What I do notice is that your board looks dead, and by that I mean that it seems that it doesn't look like you could get more than one or two rebounds on that board. I can see your whole setup shaking which is probably using up some of the energy of the bag.

My opinion is that you could go to new levels with a sturdier platform.
    Last edited by Chris M; 11-07-2006, 06:40 AM.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
      I replied to this post yesterday and I must have done something wrong because it's not there.
      That's odd... I'm not aware of any problems. If it happens again to you, let me know.

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
      What I do notice is that your board looks dead, and by that I mean that it seems that it doesn't look like you could get more than one or two rebounds on that board. I can see your whole setup shaking which is probably using up some of the energy of the bag.
      You're probably right. Maybe Santa will bring me something Until then I've decided to make the best of what I have.

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

That's odd... I'm not aware of any problems. If it happens again to you, let me know.
        It's probably something I did. I probably hit the back button after replying without even thinking.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

O-I 4 way

I agree with Chris. Your board really seems dead. You seem to be hitting very hard and the bag should be going a lot faster....

I don't see any major problems with your movement other then a weird left fist position. Your left fist appears to have the thumb upwards in your 4way, particularly when it is doing the inward motion. But the rebounds sound crisp, indicating no mis-hits, and the bag appears in control. And your 2nd arm in the 4way (left or right) appears to come from a really low position, with your hand dropping out of the bottom of the screen. I like them kept a little higher, but your timing is getting better so it does get back up when needed.

The only issue left to me is the changing of speed. You appear to be rotating between hitting "fast & slow", or "hard & easy'' rather than one consistent speed. But that is most likely due to your board.

In your underneath shot, it appears that the right side of your board is split?? or is that my imagination??

( nice F-Roll position from underneath by the way..)
          Last edited by Speedbag; 11-07-2006, 12:19 AM.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            In your underneath shot, it appears that the right side of your board is split?? or is that my imagination??
            Your eyes do not deceive you. Those older everlast platforms have a 2 piece drum. The newer ones have a single piece drum.

I guess it's time to upgrade

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

upgrade

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              Your eyes do not deceive you. Those older everlast platforms have a 2 piece drum. The newer ones have a single piece drum.

I guess it's time to upgrade
              With your level of skill now, I think that board will really hurt your progress. It is forcing you to punch unevenly (different speeds and force) just to keep the bag going during multiple contact techniques, such as the triple and 4Way Elbow strikes. You will be surprised how much easier it will all be on a quality board.
              Last edited by Speedbag; 11-09-2006, 12:11 AM.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

II don't see any major problems with your movement other then a weird left fist position. Your left fist appears to have the thumb upwards in your 4way, particularly when it is doing the inward motion.
                As opposed to having the fist sideways? (i.e. thumb pointed towards my face - if it wasn't tucked in). I've always thrown hooks like that , thumb up... guess I never really thought about it. It feels natural to me.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

4Way fist position

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  As opposed to having the fist sideways? (i.e. thumb pointed towards my face - if it wasn't tucked in). I've always thrown hooks like that , thumb up... guess I never really thought about it. It feels natural to me.
                  the "thumb up" position is not wrong on a hook punch, just a variation. But that fist position for an inward elbow strike ( As in the "inward Double Elbow" or the second arm of the O-I 4Way Elbow strike) seems to make it difficult for the following Elbow of the same arm. to me, anyway, the thumb up position makes the bag hit my forearm muscle more than the bone of the elbow. With the thumb up the arm bones twist and cross, bringing the top of the forearm muscle area down for the contact surface.

It just looks wierd for the outward fist (of the first arm) has the palm down, followed by the second (lead) fist in the thumb up position. Of course, if it works for you than there is nothing really wrong with it.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

... seems to make it difficult for the following Elbow of the same arm.
                    I'll try it the other way and see how it goes

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...