• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kaju Dog
    • Jul 2009

The Best Birthday Gift Ever!

(excited & just wanted to share)

Noobie here,

So my wife of 10+ yrs wanted to suprise me... Well, she did.

With the help of my Brother In-Law and his family, they all pitched in. Split the cost of materials and equipment and my Brother In-Law went to work on the welding, then had a paint party. While I was out of town, they moved it into my garage. It's solid as hell and made my day!

(check it out)

Respectfully,
    Dean
    HM2(FMF) USN-Active Duty
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Nice! Definitely a cool birthday present.

Looks solid and professional too

Comment

• Kaju Dog
      • Jul 2009

Thank you

Thanks Tim,

It has become my new addiction. I've stated riding the stationary bike while working the SB. If it wasn't for the forum here, I dont think I would have ever thought of the idea. Lots of fun! Also, takes your mind off of riding while not getting anywhere. Hopefully, now the stationary bike will not collect as much dust as it used to.

Thanks again for a great informative site and for your reply.

Im pleased to be here.

Woof,
      KD

Comment

• Biff
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Wow, what a great birthday present!!! Your BIL did a great job. When I looked at the first picture, it reminded me of a 4-post car lift.

Thanks for your service to our country. And welcome to the forum.

Comment

• Kaju Dog
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Biff View Post
          Wow, what a great birthday present!!! Your BIL did a great job. When I looked at the first picture, it reminded me of a 4-post car lift.

Thanks for your service to our country. And welcome to the forum.
          Thank you, my wife said the same thing when she saw it. (4 post car lift)
          shes a car gal, grew up playin in her Dads tire shop.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Kaju Dog View Post
            Thanks Tim,

It has become my new addiction. I've started riding the stationary bike while working the SB. If it wasn't for the forum here, I dont think I would have ever thought of the idea. Lots of fun! Also, takes your mind off of riding while not getting anywhere. Hopefully, now the stationary bike will not collect as much dust as it used to.

Thanks again for a great informative site and for your reply.

Im pleased to be here.

Woof,
            KD

Yes, "Punching and Riding" was an accident I also discovered. It was May 1996. For christmas 1995 I got my wife a recumbent cycle so she could ride and watch TV in the living room. I got a freestanding speed bag frame in May 1996 so I could attend some sporting goods related shows and needed a portable stand. I put the speed bag stand together in the living room just to see how it went together and get familiar with the construction. After I got it together, (right next to the recumbent cycle), I just wondering if the board would come down low enough for someone in a standard wheel chair to hit it, so I lined the cycle seat up under the board to see how it hit sitting down. Once I got the bag and seat lined up and started punching, I also starting pushing the pedals (they were there, so why not?). And then, at that very Eureka moment, the perfection of this match hit me.

Although the sound police stripped the soundtrack, you can see how it all lined up here.

In the summer of 1997, the recumbent cycle left the living room, and the upright cycle took over. I really prefer the recumbent seat.

Personally I found four distinct workouts with Punch & Ride. I highlight them in the SBB appendix 1&2, page 218-219. For those that really get into this, it may help.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Skill
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jul 2009

Very cool. Pardon my ignorance, but is the blue and red bag on the big chain a slip bag?

Comment

• metaldad
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2007

Nice looking setup...Semper Fi!! A Marine's best friend besides his rifle is a Corpsman!!!! thanks for looking after us Doc!
                sigpic

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Jammin' set up!!!!!

Comment

• Kaju Dog
                    • Jul 2009

reply to quote

Originally posted by Skill View Post
                    Very cool. Pardon my ignorance, but is the blue and red bag on the big chain a slip bag?

Some variable uses, one of which was for slipping, weaving & bobbing. I found it a bit low for that but dooable. Mostly, I would use it for hitting and kicking to condition the shins, knees, hands, forearms, etc.

I recently took the sand back out of the bag and put a new bladder in it.

TAC, (the adventure continues)
                    KD

PS

ALCON,
                    Thanks for the warm welcome and kindness.

Comment

• BlackCatXIII
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Apr 2009

Very cool setup. I was wondering what the yellow speed bag is for; extra bag?. Also what's the advantage or purpose of hanging the heavy bag sideways?

Comment

• Kaju Dog
                        • Jul 2009

Bc13

Originally posted by BlackCatXIII View Post
                        Very cool setup. I was wondering what the yellow speed bag is for; extra bag?. Also what's the advantage or purpose of hanging the heavy bag sideways?
                        First Thank you for the reply. The yellow bag is (was) also filled with sand and concrete mixture. It's roughly just above head level and I would use it for Wing Chung center line (Rolling) punches, as well as for slapping and big knuckle strikes to GB20 area. (Back of head to front strikes to the base of the skull on either side) A good strike for making someone see stars or worse.

You may have noticed that I am big into hand conditioning (Iron Palm strikes).

I have taken that one down also and returned it to the original intended use as a speed bag. (It's actually my favorite SB).

Now that I have the rack, I can use the support posts for the center line strikes. I also have my IP focus station (The cinder block stand with my canvas bag filled with steel shot on it).

The heavy bag hangs horizontal so that I can work upper cuts (without ripping the knuckles open and for a more solid point of contact); Body shots to the sternum/solar plexus; I also throw solid hooks visualizing the opponent moving left or right of the center line; forearm stikes; elbows from all directions; WC center line punches on the ends and it prevents settling of the bag. (Most verticle HB's tend to have softer tops and harder bottoms from where the filling settles. The tie downs alow me to adjust the hight up or down as preffered for the training drill.

The hanging chain is good for forearm and shin conditioning, allowing a message affect to the entire arm/leg surface contact area.

Hope this makes sense...

With Respect,
                        KD

Here's a pick of my old gym from back in the day...

No laughing at my mullet... LOL

Very early 90's

Our old out door set up at the school.

Comment

• Speedbag
                          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

now that's what I'd call hardcore training. Old school, no cell phones.
                          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                          The Quest Continues...
                          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
                            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                            Although the sound police stripped the soundtrack, you can see how it all lined up here.
                            Disappointing to see the sound track removed. Hopefully they don't touch some of the other stuff. Boo youtube, boo!!!

Comment

• Mike L. G.
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Jul 2009

Impressive Birthday Gift

I can see why you are excited.
                              Wow!
                              -Mike

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...