The Thing That Should Not Bag! Spinsmashpop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

The Thing That Should Not Bag! Spinsmashpop!

I also posted this in the "hitting to music" section. But I am not sure how many people view in there as this section seems more popular....
    Tim, if it's too much, simply delete it from the other section. I think I have been posting vids in here with more regularity. Although, this vid really is "hitting to music", so maybe it's better in that section????? Ahhhhh, I don't know, I'm losing it.....

Hey y'all! I did this 6.2.09, the morning I left on tour, as the car taking me to the airport waited outside. Total last minute pressure! Yeah, lots of mistakes and mis-hits but I think there is enough in time punch drumming to post. I was hesitant after watching the juggling dude, and knowing that I don't own it, yet!!! I am no Alan Kahn! But, I do feel it and understand it! This is a very average representation of where I am at. I can hit faster, I have hit more consistent, and I have locked up to the beat much better.
    Whatever, this is one try, one take. I love this song, I love Hetfield and I love Metallica.
    From this session I also have "Papa's Got A Brand New Speed Bag" from James Brown, and "Knuckle Bleed" from Meshuggah. I will have to edit those if I post because the punching is not as good as this song and it annoys me to watch.
    Or, I wait to get back on a bag and try it all again a little tighter!
    BAG ON!
    C'mon Metaldad!!! Get some clips up! Throw some killer tunes in the background and punch it up!!!!! I love watching others bag!

• metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
    Hey y'all! I did this 6.2.09, the morning I left on tour, as the car taking me to the airport waited outside. Total last minute pressure! Yeah, lots of mistakes and mis-hits but I think there is enough in time punch drumming to post. I was hesitant after watching the juggling dude, and knowing that I don't own it, yet!!! I am no Alan Kahn! But, I do feel it and understand it! This is a very average representation of where I am at. I can hit faster, I have hit more consistent, and I have locked up to the beat much better.
    Whatever, this is one try, one take. I love this song, I love Hetfield and I love Metallica.
    From this session I also have "Papa's Got A Brand New Speed Bag" from James Brown, and "Knuckle Bleed" from Meshuggah. I will have to edit those if I post because the punching is not as good as this song and it annoys me to watch.
    Or, I wait to get back on a bag and try it all again a little tighter!
    BAG ON!
    C'mon Metaldad!!! Get some clips up! Throw some killer tunes in the background and punch it up!!!!! I love watching others bag!

Nice!!
    ......drain you of your sanity! face the thing that should not be!!
    I remember first having "Master of Puppets" on cassette and completely wearing it out! "The Thing That Should Not Be" is among one of THE MOST metal songs ever written..The clip is coming...As soon as Murphy and his DADGUMMIT laws leave me alone If it ain't one thing it's anudder lol
    Last edited by metaldad; 06-29-2009, 06:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    sigpic

Comment

• Roc Stone
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2007

Neat!

How long you been listening to that track for?
      sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
        Neat!

How long you been listening to that track for?
        Hey Roc.....
        Listening? Since it came out in 1986! Bagging and listening at the same time.... I tried it a few days before I filmed .....
        BAG ON!

Comment

• The Baggist
          Vert Baggin' Master
          • May 2009

Worth the wait!!! After all the Metallica discussion and chaos I was hopin somebody was goin to go for it!!! Great Job SSP!!! And speaking of metal, METALDAD we're ready for that vid ASAP...can you get that to us.....um like YESTERDAY

Comment

• metaldad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by The Baggist View Post
            Worth the wait!!! After all the Metallica discussion and chaos I was hopin somebody was goin to go for it!!! Great Job SSP!!! And speaking of metal, METALDAD we're ready for that vid ASAP...can you get that to us.....um like YESTERDAY
            I know I know!! Sorry it's taking so long....I'm not giving any excuses just asking for patience and when I do post ...please hold all giggles and rips until I've hidden myself in a deep dark cave...lol!
            sigpic

Comment

• Biff
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Nice going, BT. Looks like it won't be long before you're ready to pack up your BAGS and move from Saturday Alley up to Sunday Street.

Comment

• Kaju Dog
                • Jul 2009

Nice

Ok, SSB.... Im very impressed...

Simply bad ass. "Im not worthy"

----------------

Time to open my mind to the many adventures...

I played drums for 6 years of school (Drumline). I truely believe that is what helped me get good, (scratch that, I consider myself to be a POS beginner now) at the SB.

Thanks for sharing... Simply awsome.

Woof!
                KD

PS
                Man, I've got a loooong way to go...

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Oh Yeah, SMP, you're cooking in time now. Some pretty nice double and triple beat accents syncopated in this, and some pretty tough inward double elbow riffs on beat. I like they way you're starting to flow from straight time to syncopated punching combo's by simply changing speeds. Duh, huh? That's a good slow song to allow the variations. Note how the single fist linking is a key combo that easily ties both styles, allowing you to switch gears on either side of the bag when the groove hits you. I notice you used some straight time accents on at the 1/2 beat (and) RSP. Pretty cool.
                  Behold, the power of the drummer!

Bring that song to Detroit and we'll dual it in the truck. Bring a few others you want to work with. Here's hoping we get most of the day Aug 11th to work on it. Let me know where you'll be.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                    Nice!!
                    ......drain you of your sanity! face the thing that should not be!!
                    Thanks Metaldad! Still waiting for your clip!
                    Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
                    Neat!
                    Thanks again Roc!
                    Originally posted by The Baggist View Post
                    Worth the wait!!! After all the Metallica discussion and chaos I was hopin somebody was goin to go for it!!! Great Job SSP!!!p
                    Thanks Baggist!
                    Originally posted by Biff View Post
                    Nice going, BT. Looks like it won't be long before you're ready to pack up your BAGS and move from Saturday Alley up to Sunday Street.
                    Thanks Bif! Yeehaw!
                    Originally posted by Kaju Dog View Post
                    Ok, SSB.... Im very impressed...
                    Simply bad ass. "Im not worthy"
                    ----------------Time to open my mind to the many adventures...
                    I played drums for 6 years of school (Drumline). I truely believe that is what helped me get good, (scratch that, I consider myself to be a POS beginner now) at the SB.
                    Thanks for sharing... Simply awsome.
                    Woof!
                    KD PS
                    Man, I've got a loooong way to go...
                    Kaju..thanks man! I have the benefit of understanding advanced rhythm on my side. It definitely is a huge benefit once you get some combos going. But just read Alan Kahn's Bible or check out his DVD sections on punch drumming. He is the master of getting us all on the map with it and then going to the next levels!
                    Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                    Oh Yeah, SMP, you're cooking in time now. Some pretty nice double and triple beat accents syncopated in this, and some pretty tough inward double elbow riffs on beat. I like they way you're starting to flow from straight time to syncopated punching combo's by simply changing speeds. Duh, huh? That's a good slow song to allow the variations. Note how the single fist linking is a key combo that easily ties both styles, allowing you to switch gears on either side of the bag when the groove hits you. I notice you used some straight time accents on at the 1/2 beat (and) RSP. Pretty cool.
                    Behold, the power of the drummer!
                    Bring that song to Detroit and we'll dual it in the truck. Bring a few others you want to work with. Here's hoping we get most of the day Aug 11th to work on it. Let me know where you'll be.
                    Hey Speedbag AK! Thanks a lot! I will have this on my iPod with other stuff. I 'll make sure I have speakers ready to go! My performance is very average but there a couple decent spots. My favorite is the fist rolling that utilizes 2 rights and then a left... that pattern keeps repeating. (at 2:46)...
                    Thanks a lot you guys! Much appreciated! It took weeks to get the confidence up to post with all the mistakes in it.....
                    BAG ON!

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

...My favorite is the fist rolling that utilizes 2 rights and then a left... that pattern keeps repeating. (at 2:46)...
                      Thanks a lot you guys! Much appreciated! It took weeks to get the confidence up to post with all the mistakes in it.....
                      BAG ON!
                      Yeow, I see that now, which made that combo a lot more difficult. That just shows the incredible rhythmic variety that the bag is capable of. You're rippin' some rhythms in new ways to make it fit. It worked well there, and I was hearing a double time at 2:45-2:46 (FDP ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' ' ..) and would probably do it there. Especially off the Double Punching sequence you were doing at that time.

I'm amazed at how your hear double and triple beat riffs in different ways when you punch drum. you start some combo's on different beats in the measure than I do and they work great.
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• doublefist
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jun 2009

That is jamm'n for sure. As soon as I get the feel for drumming I am going to try some Pantera. Awesome job!

Comment

• Kaju Dog
                          • Jul 2009

Kaju..thanks man! I have the benefit of understanding advanced rhythm on my side. It definitely is a huge benefit once you get some combos going. But just read Alan Kahn's Bible or check out his DVD sections on punch drumming. He is the master of getting us all on the map with it and then going to the next levels!
                          Thank you... Im looking forward to new challenges and a good read. I'll be around to share as I grow.

And I quote;

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit."

--Aristotle.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...