• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Original Speed Bag useage.

Now this I have never seen before. One of our speed bag brothers ( note his techniques) doing something original

Speed Bag "wall" punching

and I thought this AB JAB (speed bag sit up board) was far fetched...

I'd love to here this without the music. Sparked my curiosity, that's for sure.

by the way, this guy is becoming very good.

Speed Bag Skunk
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • o0obruceleeo0o
    • Sep 2006

Maybe the "AB JAB" idea would work if you just had a really low set-up. Similar to how you had your recumbent exercise bike set up under the speedbag, but with a sit-up bench under it instead. I think that would be kind of cool actually.

Comment

• Teetu
      • Aug 2006

that wall punching is crazy! he's better at punching against the wall than I am from the platform!

i'm amazed at how fast & quiet that style swivel is compared to the ball & hook

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Bag on a spring...

Actually the bag on the sit up board [AB Jab] is exactly like a "Reflex Bag", which is fun to work with. Kind of related to a Double End Bag, except no strings attached. There is a definite rhythm to hitting it continously, you just don't have the "rebound" sound of a board, so you're fist contact and string bending is the sound. You can do a lot of the fist punches used on the speed bag with it, such as Front Double Punch, Front Fist Rolling. I've had one for a long time. Great for kicking, also.

I'm just not sure how the "AB JAB" connects to the board, for the picture doesn't show that.

* the guy hitting the bag on the wall has been working on the speed bag for over a year now, and takes it pretty seriously. His Seven Punches (Four front, Three Reverse,) and Elbow strikes are Smooth and Fast.
        Last edited by Speedbag; 10-11-2006, 06:46 AM.
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          * the guy hitting the bag on the wall has been working on the speed bag for over a year now, and takes it pretty seriously. His Seven Punches (Four front, Three Reverse,) and Elbow strikes are Smooth and Fast.
          He's very good... seems like he's picked up a lot in that time frame.

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

The ab jab in action:

Looks like fun.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

AbJab

Great Link, Tim. I think I really like that little thing.

But geez, we have to start doing situps??
              Last edited by Speedbag; 02-19-2007, 12:21 PM.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Mar 2006

Here's a link to a site that actually shows what it looks like when someone's not on it: http://www.jumpusa.com/ab_jab.html

Comment

• o0obruceleeo0o
                  • Sep 2006

I really want to try it after seeing the video. I wonder how staying up in the sit-up position differs from doing a bunch of sit-ups (as far as working out your abs go). Better? Worse? Anyone know about this kind of stuff?
                  Last edited by o0obruceleeo0o; 10-12-2006, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

ABJan

o0obruceleeo0o, pausing in mid-sit up will put a lot of strain on the abs. Also, the swinging will strain them even more, for your balance changes as you reach out.

Again, you can easily simulate this on any similiar situp bench by "air punching" a similiar imaginary bag.

...and if you get one, remember, this is a rhythm bag, and you can do many of the same fist punching combinations that are possible on the Speed Bag -, Basic Rhythm, FDP, F-Roll, Hooks and some side punches. You will hear the spring flexing instead of a rebound board, but the principle of "triplet" or ODD number of springs (rebounds) is the same.

Maybe we should call them "springbounds" ??
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
                      Speed Bag Historian
                      • Jun 2006

Hi, I've been observing in the background for a while, and I thought I would forward some info on this subject. As some of you might know, exhibition bag punching was quite popular on the variety circuit for a good part of the last century. There were a number of acts where a man, or woman, demonstrated various techniques using one, or two striking bags, along with one or two mounted on the floor , like in this case on a wall. Some of these acts have put preserved on film. Gus Kellor was well known before WWI on the stage. In the late 1930's Doris DeGreen was documented on Paramount's "Unusal Occupations" short subjects in theaters. I recall a husband and wife team that had a striking bag act that did the TV variety show circuits in the early 1960's. Pretty much if they could rebound a bag off it they used it.
                      Last edited by Dutchman; 10-14-2006, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• SpeedBagSkunk
                        Speed Bag Skunk doesn't need a title, you already know

• Oct 2006

lets see it then

i wasnt around then so i could have no idea about that i was simply hanging a new bag up when i found that when it was on its side it would do the same thing so i will not say i made it up but itsthe first time i have ever seen anyone do it. also i have another way i learnered and here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWZB3_jEC20

Comment

• Dutchman
                          Speed Bag Historian
                          • Jun 2006

Pull up British Pathe's site (www.britishpathe.com) and enter "punch ball" in the search field. There are a number of downloadable shorts of exhibition bag punchers as well as the boxing training clips. Also if you Google video Gus Keller there are a couple of clips that Edison did of his act. Note the size of the bags being used. They make the ones that are considered large now look tiny.

Comment

• SpeedBagSkunk
                            Speed Bag Skunk doesn't need a title, you already know

• Oct 2006

yeahh ummm get a url for me to see it k

cause i dont see them

Comment

• Dutchman
                              Speed Bag Historian
                              • Jun 2006

You can download the preview clips for free, just fill out their form and then download them to your desktop

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...