• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Speed bag truck! : Tichy fist rollin' with elbows

Howdy! Here's a little clip from my hang with Alan Kahn in The Speed Bag Truck in Addison TX last Sunday. Lots of fun.....
    ===========
    The text below is what is posted on youtube....
    =============
    Hangin' with Alan Kahn in the Speed Bag Truck for the 2nd time! It was parked right behind the stage so we got to punch drum to the other bands for hours. I tried showing Alan some stuff I was working on; punch drumming with some Fist Rollin' and Elbows thrown in. Also some "Dee Pooler Phantom Punches" to start off the Fist Rollin'. I got off the beat at the end and finished with a crappy mis-hit but at least the combos were ok. Hey, it ain't easy trying to show The Speed Bag King stuff without a certain amount of paranoia! That's like trying to go on Neil Peart's kit and do a drum solo in the middle of a Rush concert! Haha...
    Lookout for The Speed Bag Truck cruisin' through Europe June-July and back in the States Aug-Sept on tour with Foreigner! Order Alan's "Speed Bag Bible" and DVD now!
    Buy Speed Bag Skunk's new Addiction T-shirt! Join The Speed Bag Forum and get a bag now! BAG ON!
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Yeoww! hey that was really fun. I enjoyed filming ya! that F-Roll with elbows thrown in at 17 - 24 is really slick and RIGHT ON BEAT. The live music back stage at Rock & Roll marathon was simply a night to remember. You are really feeling the beat and controlling it to music now. By the time you get back from Europe I may be watching you and scratching my head, kinda like watching skunk, thinking: "good God, what did he just do??".

It great hangin' with ya BT. I'm learning some new Polyrhythmic bag beat patterns I never heard in my head before.

You see - We ALL teach each other, and I'm the first to admit you're never to old to learn. Personally, I've seen more and learned more about the speed bag and its possibilities in the past year than I ever thought possible, and that just shows the amazing capabilities of the bag. Like a trip to McDonalds baby, I'm loving it!

Bag on, indeed!
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
      I tried showing Alan some stuff I was working on; punch drumming with some Fist Rollin' and Elbows thrown in.
      Cool! That's a neat move. You sure are picking this stuff up quick...

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        Yeoww! hey that was really fun. I enjoyed filming ya! that F-Roll with elbows thrown in at 17 - 24 is really slick and RIGHT ON BEAT. The live music back stage at Rock & Roll marathon was simply a night to remember. You are really feeling the beat and controlling it to music now. By the time you get back from Europe I may be watching you and scratching my head, kinda like watching skunk, thinking: "good God, what did he just do??".

It great hangin' with ya BT. I'm learning some new Polyrhythmic bag beat patterns I never heard in my head before.

You see - We ALL teach each other, and I'm the first to admit you're never to old to learn. Personally, I've seen more and learned more about the speed bag and its possibilities in the past year than I ever thought possible, and that just shows the amazing capabilities of the bag. Like a trip to McDonalds baby, I'm loving it!

Bag on, indeed!
        Originally posted by Tim View Post
        Cool! That's a neat move. You sure are picking this stuff up quick...
        Thanks Alan!
        Thanks Tim!

BAG ON! Welcome to the Hotel Bagifornia!!! You can check out any time you'd like, but you can never leave!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks Alan!
          Thanks Tim!

BAG ON! Welcome to the Hotel Bagifornia!!! You can check out any time you'd like, but you can never leave!
          Gee, that sounds like a song.....

We may need to start a bagger self-help group, like Bagaholics Anonymous.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Biff
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

For the slow of eye, here's a slo-mo look at BT's "Tichy F-Roll with Elbows." It's even more impressive in person.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Biff View Post
              For the slow of eye, here's a slo-mo look at BT's "Tichy F-Roll with Elbows." It's even more impressive in person.
              Man, you have my number. Slo-mo helps me a lot. THANKS!

Comment

• The Baggist
                Vert Baggin' Master
                • May 2009

That is some GREAT BAGGING!!!!! Innovative combos, Smooth and Fluid, Punch Drumming, the pressure of the camera and THE KING WATCHING, not to mention IN THE BACK OF A TRUCK!!!!! GROUND BREAKING

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by The Baggist View Post
                  That is some GREAT BAGGING!!!!! Innovative combos, Smooth and Fluid, Punch Drumming, the pressure of the camera and THE KING WATCHING, not to mention IN THE BACK OF A TRUCK!!!!! GROUND BREAKING
                  I had my eyes pretty wide at that point. That's not a combo I normally do and never really perfected. He really amazed me with his ability to do it AND keep it ON BEAT to several songs of different speeds. And he throws in a bunch of others from the front and sides also, so he's no one trick pony.

BT is a challenge to teach, because he brings a whole new realm to "our" first love: Punch Drumming, or hitting the bag in time to music. That basically means controlling all speed, force and movements to keep the main bag rebounds "in time" to the music, and to a drummer - the term "in time" is variable, such as "half time" "Straight time" "Double Time" "syncopation" etc.

The "bag beat", although variable, has a lot of repetive rhythmic grooves that fit to music easily when you can control your force and speed. BT is a professional percussionist, and eats the bag beats for lunch. He's been showing me some knew bag rhythms I never really "heard" myself, some of which are rhythmically complicated to understand, let alone do. And Yes I could hear them when he does it, (on bag or voicing it out..) but I can't do them like he does. He jams out some bag grooves that are really unique, and when his techniques expand a bit more around that bag I have no doubt he may become "skunk-a-fied" with fists and elbows from every direction at once. when we are "in the truck" he is showing me as much as I'm showing him. Being a nice guy, he will probably deny that, but it's true.

The cool part will be when the rest of the drumming world sees one of their own rip it. I predict in a few years a speed bag may be regular part of a "progressive" drummers stage set.

You heard it hear first.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by The Baggist View Post
                    Hey Baggist!
                    Thanks a lot! Your clip was very inspiring too! Wait 'til ya see the new clip I got today! Ya never know where The Speed Bag Truck will end up!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                    I had my eyes pretty wide at that point. That's not a combo I normally do and never really perfected. He really amazed me with his ability to do it AND keep it ON BEAT to several songs of different speeds. And he throws in a bunch of others from the front and sides also, so he's no one trick pony.

BT is a challenge to teach, because he brings a whole new realm to "our" first love: Punch Drumming, or hitting the bag in time to music. That basically means controlling all speed, force and movements to keep the main bag rebounds "in time" to the music, and to a drummer - the term "in time" is variable, such as "half time" "Straight time" "Double Time" "syncopation" etc.

The "bag beat", although variable, has a lot of repetive rhythmic grooves that fit to music easily when you can control your force and speed. BT is a professional percussionist, and eats the bag beats for lunch. He's been showing me some knew bag rhythms I never really "heard" myself, some of which are rhythmically complicated to understand, let alone do. And Yes I could hear them when he does it, (on bag or voicing it out..) but I can't do them like he does. He jams out some bag grooves that are really unique, and when his techniques expand a bit more around that bag I have no doubt he may become "skunk-a-fied" with fists and elbows from every direction at once. when we are "in the truck" he is showing me as much as I'm showing him. Being a nice guy, he will probably deny that, but it's true.

The cool part will be when the rest of the drumming world sees one of their own rip it. I predict in a few years a speed bag may be regular part of a "progressive" drummers stage set.

You heard it hear first.
                    Hey AK! Man, thanks for all the kind words. It is so cool to be able to hang and bag with you! Now that I am getting better at understanding the terminology, I can digest and retain all the bits and pieces you're showing me. And it all really helps. The whole understanding of rhythm really helps, but it isn't crucial to getting technique together. It is a total help when baggin' in the realm of punch drumming.

This is a bit premature, but there is talk going on of getting a board onto my drum riser for my drum solo with Foreigner. If so, that will put the bag and punch drumming in a new light. We'll see what happens by mid summer.....

Thanks again AK! Hope to bag with ya in Detroit!

***If anyone notices that Foreigner is in your neck of the woods and wants to come to a show, send me private message. I'll get ya some tickets. The only catch is ya gotta get there early to put some time in The Speed Bag Truck! On vid doing your thing!
                    BAG ON!

Comment

• Roc Stone
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Oct 2007

Filthy!!!
                      sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Bag Shed Kid
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jan 2009

Insane!!!

You never disappoint Tichy. Thought I'd check in on you and man that shit is huuuge. I'm checking my dates with yours and hopefully we will be in the same state and i can come and get a truck bag on. Hope you and the munchkins are good..Toast

Comment

• Biff
                          Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

....................This is a bit premature, but there is talk going on of getting a board onto my drum riser for my drum solo with Foreigner. If so, that will put the bag and punch drumming in a new light. We'll see what happens by mid summer.....

Thanks again AK! Hope to bag with ya in Detroit!

***If anyone notices that Foreigner is in your neck of the woods and wants to come to a show, send me private message. I'll get ya some tickets. The only catch is ya gotta get there early to put some time in The Speed Bag Truck! On vid doing your thing!
                          BAG ON!
                          Brian, When you have all your bags in a row, you have to let us know the exact date of your punch drumming premiere. If there's anyway I can make it, I'll be there for speed bag history in the making.

Fellow baggists, if you can take advantage of SSP's offer of attending a Foreigner concert, please do. You will not be disappointed!

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

BAG ON!
                            Hey - is the Speed Bag Truck doing all the european dates too? Just wondering (not that I'm in Europe, I'm in Florida, but that's still cool)

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                              Hey - is the Speed Bag Truck doing all the european dates too? Just wondering (not that I'm in Europe, I'm in Florida, but that's still cool)
                              Yes it is....
                              The first two weeks of shows have us flying on a private jet from city to city. We won't have every road case with us, but we will have my drums and drum cases. When I found this out, I requested that all my speed bag stuff be put in my drum cases prior to going to Europe. So my first two weeks will include me trying to find somewhere to hang the board backstage! After that, The Speed Bag Truck will be with us for the next month.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...