• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Mirror Punches and Punch Chasers!

Howdy!
    Initially, I was trying to film myself doing a fist rolling elbow combo and couldn't get it flowing... so I tried a couple other things I was messing with utilizing 2 bags.

One is a "Punch Chaser". It's pretty self explanatory. You follow the first punch one rebound later.
    The other is a "Mirror Punch"; whatever you do with one hand, try to "mirrorize" with the other.
    I know most baggers only have one platform up. I just wanted to post a couple things I was messing with. I don't do this stuff so much as I have much more to work on but every now and then it can be fun.

BAG ON!

• Roc Stone
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2007

Neat

Are you able to manouver between the bags so that you get one in front of you and the other behind you. Its a great way to work on your reverse/behind defence, offense.

I was only able to try it using DEB's, which was/is still very effective, but imagine 2 SB platforms side by side, as you have, with the bag spacing only 1 speed bag apart at their minimum distance and being able to effectively manouver and operate between these whilst these bags are in full flight.

It wouldn't allow much room for error, but it would certainly put some 'SPIN' in that smashpop.

Also I noticed you're using 2 different shaped bags, 1x teardrop and 1x bannana. Do you notice or feel much of a difference in the way your fists connect with either one of them. I know that when I hit a bannana bag sometimes my fist just skims off the bottom of the bag, not enough to call it a miss hit, but enough to disrupt the tempo of the bag swing and/or direction. I imagine you probably alternate these bags L-R periodically to balance your coordination.

Great cressendo on the 'Punch Chaser'.
    Last edited by Roc Stone; 04-21-2009, 06:26 PM.
    sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

That's pretty wicked. I've got a pretty glaring disparity between my right (strong hand) and left, so I'd probably stink at it. Would love to try it regardless though.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hitting two bags in Unison or opposites is a lot harder than you think.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Biff
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
          I know most baggers only have one platform up. I just wanted to post a couple things I was messing with. I don't do this stuff so much as I have much more to work on but every now and then it can be fun.
          BAG ON!
          That has to help out with eye-hand coordination and bag control. As Alan said, I'm sure it's alot harder than it looks.

It's always good to try something different once in awhile. I know when I get stuck on something I'll go back to something that works for me. Later on I'll try what was frustrating me and it generally becomes easier.

Break in the tour?

Comment

• spinsmashpop
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
            Neat

Are you able to manouver between the bags so that you get one in front of you and the other behind you. Its a great way to work on your reverse/behind defence, offense.

I was only able to try it using DEB's, which was/is still very effective, but imagine 2 SB platforms side by side, as you have, with the bag spacing only 1 speed bag apart at their minimum distance and being able to effectively manouver and operate between these whilst these bags are in full flight.

It wouldn't allow much room for error, but it would certainly put some 'SPIN' in that smashpop.

Also I noticed you're using 2 different shaped bags, 1x teardrop and 1x bannana. Do you notice or feel much of a difference in the way your fists connect with either one of them. I know that when I hit a bannana bag sometimes my fist just skims off the bottom of the bag, not enough to call it a miss hit, but enough to disrupt the tempo of the bag swing and/or direction. I imagine you probably alternate these bags L-R periodically to balance your coordination.

Great cressendo on the 'Punch Chaser'.
            Hey Roc....
            Thanks... I think you mean the crescendo at the end of the Mirror Pattern? It is the combo of the FDP linked to the RSP? Anyhow....
            Yes there are differences with every bag you punch, but I try to focus on the bag I'm punching at the moment and hit the sweet spot. I like all different shapes and sizes. I hit the 2 up in the vid just because they happened to be the ones up a the moment. It is probably easier to do double baggin' with 2 bags of the same kind.
            Outside of what you see, I haven't spent much time on other double bag routines. I can do linking on both bags at once, which I've seen Skunk do in one of his vids. I am also working on doing a FCP on one while the other one links between FCP and RSP. Both bags have the same rebound tempo/speed causing a cool polyrhythm sound and look..... It's not so easy.....
            BAG ON!!!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              That's pretty wicked. I've got a pretty glaring disparity between my right (strong hand) and left, so I'd probably stink at it. Would love to try it regardless though.
              Thanks Tim... It is easier to hit FCPs on both starting at the same time. Try that first. Then try to offset one by one rebound. It is not unlike a FDP, but instead of going behind for a RDP, which creates a triplet (1,2,3, repeat) pattern, you stay in front and continue the double punch pattern. I think it looks harder than it is after you break it down a bit.

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              Hitting two bags in Unison or opposites is a lot harder than you think.
              Yes, you need to look at what both are doing individually and rhythmically, and then slowly put it together, like a real cool drum groove or fill!

Originally posted by Biff View Post
              That has to help out with eye-hand coordination and bag control. As Alan said, I'm sure it's alot harder than it looks.
              It's always good to try something different once in awhile. I know when I get stuck on something I'll go back to something that works for me. Later on I'll try what was frustrating me and it generally becomes easier.
              Break in the tour?
              Little breaks before we hit Europe all of June and 1/2 of July. But I will have the speed bag and platform with me in the equipment truck!
              And yes, the double baggin' does help with hand-eye coordination. Like anything, when you go back to the basics after trying something a little more difficult, it all gets smoother and easier....
              BAG ON!

Comment

• Tim
                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                Thanks Tim... It is easier to hit FCPs on both starting at the same time. Try that first.
                How far apart are those boards mounted? What's the distance from swivel to swivel? I might try to fab up a dual mount for my platform, cause this looks like too much fun!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  How far apart are those boards mounted? What's the distance from swivel to swivel? I might try to fab up a dual mount for my platform, cause this looks like too much fun!
                  Hey Tim....
                  Swivel to swivel....26 1/2".

The 2nd board was put up to ....
                  1. Have Speed Bag Jam Parties!
                  2. Have two different bags duct taped in at all times without having to waste time switching and taping.
                  3. To eventually work on 2 at once to incorporate into a drumset.

I would have put them farther apart by 6 inches or so, so each person has more elbow room. But I have drums and other stuff in there that already have their set place. I didn't want to rearrange the whole garage.

But the distance seems pretty cool for double baggin'!

DOUBLE BAG ON!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...