• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roc Stone
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2007

Rolling Triple Elbow Combination

Howdy Folks.

Here is what video I was able to muster. Its never the same when the camera's rolling.

This is basically just a downward triple elbow, linked with a (RSP), leading into an inward triple elbow.

The key here is getting the circle punch off the same arm used for the inward elbow
    Last edited by Roc Stone; 04-13-2009, 08:55 PM.
    sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
    This is basically just a downward triple elbow, linked with a (RSP), leading into an inward triple elbow.

The key here is getting the circle punch off the same arm used for the inward elbow
    I'm not sure I see is as you're describing it. This could be done several different ways, depending on which fist is linking off the Downward Triple, the lead or second.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Remember the orders of contact:

Downward Triple = Fist\Elbow-Fist
    Inward Triple = Fist\Fist-Elbow.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lead Fist linking (Right)

(R\L-L)_D-TES ' ' (R)_RSP ' ' (R\L-L)_I-TES ' ' ' repeat other arm

Second Fist linking (Left)

(R\L-L)_D-TES ' ' (L)_RSP ' ' (L\R-R)_I-TES. ' ' '... Repeat same arm leading

Maybe it's the grainy video or the angle but I don't see or hear either of the above combinations. What I did see is actually more difficult than either of them. At least I think I did. To me, it looks like you did a bunch of single fist linking, then an advanced combo of: D-TES ' I-TES, and you did it like this:

(R\L-L)_D-TES ' (L\R-R)_I-TES, with the Last fist (L) of the D-TES also being the lead fist of the I-TES [ its the same fist]. (The last fist of one technique can also be the lead fist of the next if the parts line up.) As your downward Left fist connects you follow immediately with a Right Front Straight Punch (FSP) and Right Inward Elbow.

notice how this is written with SIX parts hitting but actually only five do, for the third fist (L) is connecting as the 3rd part in the D-TES and also the first part of the I-TES.
    To make it more complicated, you could also let the bag rebound once inbetween the D-TES and I-TES, making six contacts but it is a hard rebound angle to pull off.

So Rock, I'm not sure exactly what you did, but it looked pretty intense when you did it.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      I'm not sure I see is as you're describing it. This could be done several different ways, depending on which fist is linking off the Downward Triple, the lead or second.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Remember the orders of contact:

Downward Triple = Fist\Elbow-Fist
      Inward Triple = Fist\Fist-Elbow.
      +++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lead Fist linking (Right)

(R\L-L)_D-TES ' ' (R)_RSP ' ' (R\L-L)_I-TES ' ' ' repeat other arm

Second Fist linking (Left)

(R\L-L)_D-TES ' ' (L)_RSP ' ' (L\R-R)_I-TES. ' ' '... Repeat same arm leading

Maybe it's the grainy video or the angle but I don't see or hear either of the above combinations. What I did see is actually more difficult than either of them. At least I think I did. To me, it looks like you did a bunch of single fist linking, then an advanced combo of: D-TES ' I-TES, and you did it like this:

(R\L-L)_D-TES ' (L\R-R)_I-TES, with the Last fist (L) of the D-TES also being the lead fist of the I-TES [ its the same fist]. (The last fist of one technique can also be the lead fist of the next if the parts line up.) As your downward Left fist connects you follow immediately with a Right Front Straight Punch (FSP) and Right Inward Elbow.

notice how this is written with SIX parts hitting but actually only five do, for the third fist (L) is connecting as the 3rd part in the D-TES and also the first part of the I-TES.
      To make it more complicated, you could also let the bag rebound once inbetween the D-TES and I-TES, making six contacts but it is a hard rebound angle to pull off.

So Rock, I'm not sure exactly what you did, but it looked pretty intense when you did it.
      ====================
      Hey Roc! Awesome job! This combo looks real advanced! It looks like you can notate it a few different ways, depending on what punch is determined as the first....
      If you look at it from a right-handed perspective, it looks like you have 3 punches coming together to become the "rolling triple elbow combo"....
      I see it most easily as Right "Inward Double Elbow Strike", followed by a Right "Front Circle Punch", followed by a Left "Downward Double Elbow Strike"..... or...
      R, I-DES..... R, FCP.... L, D-DES....
      (a total of 5 punches put together with only one rebound taking place between every point of bag contact.)
      If you reorganize the sequence by starting with one of the other punches, it may come across easier to some, (but I think to most of us, this pattern ain't easy any way you slice it!).... yet it still ultimately gives you the same repetitive pattern......

If starting with the Left, it could be looked at as....
      L, D-DES... R, O-DES.... R, FCP....

If starting with a R-FCP.....the terminology seems to have to change....
      R, FCP..... R, O-DES.... L, D-DES.... (to me, this looks and reads even more difficult and advanced)

Or maybe even.... R, O-DES.... L, D-DES.... R, FCP.... (maybe this is the easiest way to look at it...)

(((Now that I review what I wrote it becomes even clearer that to become more fluid in the art of baggin', you have to be aware that many of the punches we practice are, in one way or another, a differently named punch depending on what it precedes or proceeds... this awareness can facilitate a quicker grasp of putting multiple combos together. It seems that ALan Kahn, The Skunk, Dee and the Punch Professor all have a solid handle on this concept....)))
      That Right, 3 punch combo is, to me, the most difficult of it all...I cannot do that.... I think that is 1/2 of the combo that is on this youtube clip that SpeedBag1 put up....
      An amazing and difficult speed bag combination. made to look easy by an 85 year old man...

And that is crazy!
      Anyhow, Speed Bag, if my notation is incorrect, sorry. I did this to also see if you can tell me if I am looking at Roc's sequence accurately, and writing this correctly....
      Great job Roc.... I am going to try that now!
      BAG ON!

...Oh yeah.. I have this one combo I came up with that Alan Kahn thought was pretty cool.... I'm gonna try to vid that and post it... Roc, you'll probably be able to nail it easily as it involves some similar punching to what you're doing, only not as advanced....

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

You are right SMP, and very good insight when you said.

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
        ====================
        ... you have to be aware that many of the punches we practice are, in one way or another, a differently named punch depending on what it precedes or proceeds...
        exactly. and let me use your demo to back it up.

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
        ====================

If starting with a R-FCP.....the terminology seems to have to change....
        R, FCP..... R, O-DES.... L, D-DES.... (to me, this looks and reads even more difficult and advanced)

Or maybe even.... R, O-DES.... L, D-DES.... R, FCP.... (maybe this is the easiest way to look at it...)
        I take it in both combo's above, you are joining a Right Outward-Double Elbow Strike with a Left Downward-Double Elbow Strike, or

R_O-DES ' L_D-DES = Elbow-fist ' Elbow Fist = "Out & Down 4-Way Elbow Strike". (both fists and elbows hit bag with one rebound inbetween).

There are often many ways to write combinations, particularly advanced combinations that include fists and elbows hitting the bag from different sides with one rebound inbetween.

Remember, you learned the 3-punch monty, the four punch roll around and Front Roll to SSP on one rebound. Also the double fist split and STES combo's.
        Last edited by Speedbag; 04-14-2009, 09:22 PM.
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Roc Stone
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2007

You are spot-on Guy's

I called it a rolling triple elbow because it is basically either a D-TES into a IN-TES or vice-versa and you will get six strikes in the openning loop. On the 2nd loop, if you can get one, a decption sets in because the 3rd punch on the TES becomes the lead punch for the next TES, leaving it a five strike series.
          Thanks for checking it out.

In recent times I've become a real fan of the one arm triple punch (1/2 Rocky Griener). Whilst Rocky make this look like the cream of all speed bag moves, I have found that while I am developing my off arm for this strike, it can be quite versatile as a regular punch method in itself, as well as being fun to do.
          sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
            You are spot-on Guy's

I called it a rolling triple elbow because it is basically either a D-TES into a IN-TES or vice-versa and you will get six strikes in the openning loop. On the 2nd loop, if you can get one, a decption sets in because the 3rd punch on the TES becomes the lead punch for the next TES, leaving it a five strike series.
            Thanks for checking it out.

In recent times I've become a real fan of the one arm triple punch (1/2 Rocky Griener). Whilst Rocky make this look like the cream of all speed bag moves, I have found that while I am developing my off arm for this strike, it can be quite versatile as a regular punch method in itself, as well as being fun to do.

Correct! The second fist of the D-TES is also the lead fist of the I-TES. It's a nice combo. The secret is holding the lead fist of the DTES very close to the contact point after it hits and not move it too far away.

coming back from the I-TES is the hard part (for me anyway....)
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...