• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Look out Mr. Kahn...LOL

Well, after a year on the bag, and watching Alan and SSP, I decided to give a try at punch drumming. It's mostly basic-rhythm punching all the way through. It's tough for me to carry the rhythm and try to punch out the beat with anything else than basic rhythm punching. My skills aren't yet honed enough to think more than 1 punch ahead, and I don't really "feel" the beat in the sense of anticipating what's next. Anyway it was fun trying and a good 3 minute workout.

• Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

(Biff Title) Look out Mr. Kahn....LOL

Bring it on!

I love it. That's a great song to hit to and I use it all the time. You did great.

Your single punching Basic Rhythm was dead on the beat. Great job with that.

Your Double Punching Linking (fist pass through's) was also done well, with the second fist hitting "on" the beat.

Fist Rolling was almost there. Most Rolls were a bit too fast. on a song that speed, you either have to Roll very Slow or Very Fast (double time). You needed to go a bit faster or slower. But that's OK. You got of them "on beat".

...and 10 self expression points for "dancing" with the song, shuffling left, right and back as he said so. I do that also.

Suggestions to try. ++++++++++++++++++

When single punching from the same side, you can use Double Punches also.

(R)-FCP ' ' ' (R)-FCP ' ' ' (R)-FCP

That fist is landing ON the beat. now just put the FCP as the second fist of a FDP, and land it "on the beat".

(R)-FCP ' ' ' (R-L)-FDP ' ' ' (L-R)-FDP ' ' ' (R-L)-FDP ' ' ' (L-R)-FDP ' ' ' (R)-FCP

notice how the fist that hits on the beat changes

The secret: you have to punch harder to make the bag go faster to do FDP combo's like this because the bag will need to make two more rebounds to compensate for the lead fist (pick up beat). When you come out of the FDP combo, you have to slow the bag down on the last punch also.

When you do FDP pretty well, Try O-TES combo's, which are just a FDP with an elbow added in front. (ps: you have to punch harder still to make the beats match).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    During the double punching pass throughs, your second fist hits ON the beat. You can continue with that second fist from anywhere, and you don't have to come out of that combination in the Front. Try this.

First, practice changing sides with one Double Punch and let the second fist come out to continue single Punching. The secret is you double punch on the side your going to.

(R)-FCP ' ' ' (R)-FCP ' ' (R-L)-RDP ' ' ' (R)-RSP ' ' ' (R)-RSP ' ' '

above I just moved the single FCP to single RSP by using a RDP to change sides. ( in the RDP, notice the left (second) fist [ L ] had to "drift" under the bag to re-enter behind in the RDP. (see SBB "drift one-half and re-enter" - it's on page 129).

You can do the same thing to bring the fist back, by double punching on the side your going to. In this case (RSP), you can do the same thing and return to the front

(R)-RSP ' ' ' (R)-RSP ' ' (R-L)-FDP ' ' ' (L)-FSP ' ' ' (L)-FSP

notice the second fist of the FDP continues punching after three rebounds.

or you can come out to the side by using a SDP

(R)-RSP ' ' ' (R)-RSP ' ' (R-L)-SDP ' ' ' (L)-SSP ' ' ' (L)-SSP

above the second fist of the SDP hits the Side, so you keep SSP-ing after 3 rebounds. The only difference between these last two combinations is the second fist of the Double punch. After the RSP, the lead fist hits the front of the bag in both combinations. the second fist hits the front in the first combo and the side in the second. That's your choice and it doesn't matter where it is as long as it repeats after 3 rebounds.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    You can also move your hands around the bag and come out when you feel like it, whenever you feel like it on any side. a sample is below.

(R)-FCP ' ' (R-L)-RDP ' ' (L-R)-SDP ' ' ' ( R )-SSP ' ' ' (R)-SSP ' ' ' (R-L)-SDP ' ' ' (L)-SSP ' ' '

(L-R)-FDP ' ' (R-L) RDP ' ' (L-R) FDP ' ' ' (R)-FCP

in the cominations above, notice The single punching hits (1) the front (2) the right side (3) the left side (4) back to front area.

Play with it a while. You'll feel the beat of these combo's pretty quick and you've already go the bag skills to do them. Just feel the song and bag beat, and match the speed. And don't forget to Dance while you do it.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 04-10-2009, 07:03 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Biff View Post
      Well, after a year on the bag, and watching Alan and SSP, I decided to give a try at punch drumming. It's mostly basic-rhythm punching all the way through. It's tough for me to carry the rhythm and try to punch out the beat with anything else than basic rhythm punching. My skills aren't yet honed enough to think more than 1 punch ahead, and I don't really "feel" the beat in the sense of anticipating what's next.
      Great work Biff, it's so much harder than it looks, isn't it!

Great job.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post

Great job.
        Alright Biff! Great start! You were in time for most of the video! If you feel "off" the beat after a certain punch, just throw in a FDP and it that will usually put you back on the beat. If that doesn't work, do another and go back to FCPs..... You say you can't feel the beat, but you stayed with it.

Try to mix some punching up with some clapping. forget about the bag for a second and pretend the singer just told you, the audience, to clap along. That should coincide with your punching. Punch drumming can get very involved rhythmically, but you are at a level where the timing is there so keep going with it! It is not much different than when you started mixing combinations together the first time. The more ya do it, the more you learn....
        WE BAG SOON!
        BAG ON!!!!!

Comment

• Roc Stone
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2007

Good stuff!

Nice to see you again.
          sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
            Alright Biff! Great start! ..... forget about the bag for a second and pretend the singer just told you, the audience, to clap along. That should coincide with your punching....
            Or have your buddy stand and smack drum sticks together like a metronome to keep a "beat" while you punch.

(it works best when you're standing in a truck )
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Biff
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Thanks for the words of encouragement fellow baggers.
              Suggestions to try. ++++++++++++++++++
              Alan thanks for the time you took to view, critique and make suggestions. After reading them, I realize how predictable my punching is. I have to begin to think outside the box (pun intneded).
              I'll try them out and let you know the results.
              Thanks Tim. Keeping time was a little easier than I thought (for this song anyway). It's changing types of punches, bag speed, and direction that I have to work on.
              Punch drumming can get very involved rhythmically, but you are at a level where the timing is there so keep going with it! It is not much different than when you started mixing combinations together the first time. The more ya do it, the more you learn....
              Amen. I'll stick with it.
              WE BAG SOON!
              Looking forward to it.
              Good stuff!

Nice to see you again.
              Thanks Roc. Good to hear from you too.
              Or have your buddy stand and smack drum sticks together like a metronome to keep a "beat" while you punch.

(it works best when you're standing in a truck )
              Ya never know, it just might happen.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...