• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hunter45840
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2009

my first video "beginner"

Just starting out any tips from you guys would be greatly appreciated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVdUP...9fd58c299ac6f5
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Not bad for a start. You've got good timing and steady, even punching technique until you start trying to go fast by straining and hitting harder. Then your fists start sliding on the bag a bit, indicating either a poor contact angle or hitting a bit early in the rebounds. And your keep you non-punching hand a bit low. I'd rather see it up by the chin.

You've got a good basic rhythm technique, so practice off that and try to stay smooth rather than trying to go fast. Feel your bag beat and find your most comfortable speed, than do some one arm triplet punching. Do that with both Left fist and Right fist.

Fast will come by itself as you get more comfortable hitting the bag smoothly with the hands up close to the chin. Keep posting your progress.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 02-26-2009, 10:34 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Biff
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

You're doing pretty well for just starting out. Speedbag's tips are right on. One other observation; it looks as if you're keeping your head bent backwards. This may cause tension in the back of your neck. Try to keep a neutral head postion, or even step back somewhat from the board.

I think we've all been whacked by the bag, or even a fist, at one time or another, so you head postion is understandable.

Keep up the good work, and welcome to the forum. Read some of the threads, keep practicing, and you'll really start to see improvement.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Biff View Post
        You're doing pretty well for just starting out. Speedbag's tips are right on. One other observation; it looks as if you're keeping your head bent backwards. This may cause tension in the back of your neck. Try to keep a neutral head postion, or even step back somewhat from the board.

I think we've all been whacked by the bag, or even a fist, at one time or another, so you head postion is understandable.

Keep up the good work, and welcome to the forum. Read some of the threads, keep practicing, and you'll really start to see improvement.
        We are hooked by the mightiness of the bag! To take the time to get a vid together and look for feedback on the forum means, to me, you mean business! I am new as well (5 1/2 months). I love it.
        Your front punching is very smooth. The only thing I suggest is what others have said to me; slow down and get consistent! I put a clock on the wall underneath the bag and do one of two things..... I see if I can keep a pattern together without mistakes and without speeding up for 30 seconds, and ultimately a minute. After that, go for two minutes. Stacy "Stay lo" Reille" has a youtube clip of herself flying on a small bag doing one standard pattern for 2 minutes solid! It is badass!
        If you don't have a timer, just go for repetition. Try to 20 or 30 reps of the same punch sequence at a comfortable pace, then switch hands, or do the pattern backwards, and count again. This is the same type of stuff I do as a drummer. And every time you come back to the bag, you will notice more control. It's guaranteed. That stuff will get you quicker into more advanced techniques, but you have to always practice with this kind of focus.
        Then, break off from all of it and go mental, trying things you know you can't do. That also will get those motors going for when you are ready down the road.....
        And, like Biff said, try to straighten your head. I think I was doing that in the beginning as well. It starts to be a pain in the neck! Put a little duct tape around the opening, if you are using an S hook swivel. Then the bag won't shoot out.
        ....I forgot to the other day and got "bagged" right in the nose. Now, that's always an eye opener!
        Welcome!
        BAG ON!

Comment

• hunter45840
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Feb 2009

thanks

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the tips

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post

...I put a clock on the wall underneath the bag and do one of two things..... I see if I can keep a pattern together without mistakes and without speeding up for 30 seconds, and ultimately a minute. After that, go for two minutes. Stacy "Stay lo" Reille" has a youtube clip of herself flying on a small bag doing one standard pattern for 2 minutes solid! It is badass!
            If you don't have a timer, just go for repetition

BAG ON!
            A clock is good but you can do the same thing with MUSIC. The bag is Auditory, and the basic rhythm can sync to any song very easily. Why not just play your favorite tunes and punch ON the beat to it for a set time period. The song beat normally stays the same, so your punching will be at a constant speed. You can pick slow medium or fast music. Play the music, start tapping your foot in time, then start punching when your foot taps. You can recored one, two and three minutes of a song, and punch during that time period.

Here's a few I've punch to hundreds of times.... They are all great songs punching in the basic rhythm. they are pretty easy to determine "the beat" since the heavy emphasis is on Two and Four with little syncopation in the music to distract from the basic pattern.

Nice slow bounce beat basic rhythm Work Out

Rock & Roll Part 2 Heeeyy!

High Heel Sneakers (..in case some fool might wanta fight...)

Run around Sue

Heatwave

( just about any early 1960's Rock or Motown songs are really natural songs for the basic rhythm.)

Now a bit more modern and great punching tunes.

Rebel Yell, ( when you want "more, more, more)

Dancin with Myself ( one of my favorites. When I'm punchin to music, I'm dancing with myself.... )

you want a fast 3:00 workout? keep up with this one.
            your the one that I want (Punch up tempo on this and hold your basic rhythm for the whole song. It's tough...)

I got a million of them. Let the music be your guide.

Fast Basic

The hop

Rock Around The Clock

Medium
            LaBamba
            Rockin Robin
            Shake Rattle & Roll
            Last edited by Speedbag; 02-28-2009, 02:26 PM.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• hunter45840
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Feb 2009

Haha I'll give it a try for sure!!!!!. Im rebuilding my setup right now, putting a new platform on my frame, i should be back to baggin in a day or two, once again i cant thank you enough for your help!!!!

Comment

• Tim
                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Yes, that really good for a beginner. Very nice.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...