• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Spinsmashpop in...yy "speed"!

Hey Bag Brothers!
    Last night I finally got inspired to give this a try. I got lucky and did this by like the 5th take! Below is the text included in the youtube info. Hope ya dig it. I CAN keep some in time punching going with the main part of the song, but it is a bit haphazard at the moment. I cannot fluidly do all the advanced type stuff I've been working on too well at this tempo. A little bit of linking and FDP's, but that's about it. My elbows, reverse and side striking are not dialed in enough at this tempo. But someday, yes....No need to be all sloppy at an up tempo when we all know how smooth Alan Kahn is!
    BAG ON.....
    And I received my 3 bags back from Everlast... 2 are out of round! More on that with questions in another thread.....
    --------------------------------
    SPEED BAG GROOVES! BRIAN TICHY IN...YY "SPEED"!

Punch drumming to some killer Rush! Someday I'll have my speed up to punch along to the rest of the song. But for now, the 5/4 intro riff is all I really wanted to punch. Nothing too fancy, just some front and reverse combos with a little bit of fist rolling! Rush rocks! Moving Pictures is such a cool record! YYZ is so inventive! And Neil Peart is still the classiest progressive rock drummer going! Listen to the 6" tom! The ride pattern! The splashes! The killer fills! The killer drum tones! The real kick drum sound! Geddy's licks! Alex's moody solo! The tasty keyboard colors! Go buy a speed bag and jam to some Rush! Go watch Alan Kahn punch drum like no one else! Join www.SpeedBagForum.com! And BAG ON! I'm gonna post this on Neil's myspace comments page. Why? Cuz I don't think anyone else has! I hope he digs it!

Last edited by spinsmashpop; 02-01-2009, 02:09 PM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
    Hey Bag Brothers!
    Last night I finally got inspired to give this a try. I got lucky and did this by like the 5th take! Below is the text included in the youtube info. Hope ya dig it. I CAN keep some in time punching going with the main part of the song, but it is a bit haphazard at the moment. I cannot fluidly do all the advanced type stuff I've been working on too well at this tempo. A little bit of linking and FDP's, but that's about it. My elbows, reverse and side striking are not dialed in enough at this tempo. But someday, yes....No need to be all sloppy at an up tempo when we all know how smooth Alan Kahn is!
    BAG ON.....
    And I received my 3 bags back from Everlast... 2 are out of round! More on that with questions in another thread.....
    --------------------------------
    SPEED BAG GROOVES! BRIAN TICHY IN...YY "SPEED"!

Punch drumming to some killer Rush! Someday I'll have my speed up to punch along to the rest of the song. But for now, the 5/4 intro riff is all I really wanted to punch. Nothing too fancy, just some front and reverse combos with a little bit of fist rolling! Rush rocks! Moving Pictures is such a cool record! YYZ is so inventive! And Neil Peart is still the classiest progressive rock drummer going! Listen to the 6" tom! The ride pattern! The splashes! The killer fills! The killer drum tones! The real kick drum sound! Geddy's licks! Alex's moody solo! The tasty keyboard colors! Go buy a speed bag and jam to some Rush! Go watch Alan Kahn punch drum like no one else! Join www.SpeedBagForum.com! And BAG ON! I'm gonna post this on Neil's myspace comments page. Why? Cuz I don't think anyone else has! I hope he digs it!

B-U-T-Full! Super Punch Drumming during that 36 seconds sequence. As a matter of fact, up until 23 sec when you held the F-Roll over, it was Dead on his the song accents. After holding the F-Roll over, did you "feel" when to come out of it or were you counting? You nailed it dead on, and got right back in "on beat".

You nailed that opening 3 punch F-Roll ' ' RDP ' ' single fist linking sequence with the three, then four beat patterns. I noticed you had great control letting the second fist of the RDP & FDP pass to the three beat and four beat singles afterward. For variety you could also split the fists on the single punches. Instead of passing the Right or Left continous you could split them after either Double Punch and keep the same sound but different look.

F-Roll x 3 ' ' RDP ' ' FSP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' FSP ' ' RSP ' '...repeat.

The underlined are split fists instead of a single fist sequence.

You could also substitute an Outward or Downward triple elbow for the 3-punch Roll and let the last fist link off it.

Did you feel how the second punch of the double punch will have the feel of a single punch during the sequence, with lead fist being a pick up beat? Same thing with the 3 punch F-Roll, with the first two punches being the pick up beats. That's the way I feel it anyway.

By the way, that same 3-Punch F-Roll combo will work for the other part of the song, just a do it a bit faster. The last punch of the 3 punch Roll will land on "1" and the RSP of the singles will land ON the "3" beat during the sequence. All the other beats will line up if you keep that speed.

in a short time, you're gonna own that song on bag.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 02-01-2009, 06:03 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      B-U-T-Full! Super Punch Drumming during that 36 seconds sequence. As a matter of fact, up until 23 sec when you held the F-Roll over, it was Dead on his the song accents. After holding the F-Roll over, did you "feel" when to come out of it or were you counting? You nailed it dead on, and got right back in "on beat".

You nailed that opening 3 punch F-Roll ' ' RDP ' ' single fist linking sequence with the three, then four beat patterns. I noticed you had great control letting the second fist of the RDP & FDP pass to the three beat and four beat singles afterward. For variety you could also split the fists on the single punches. Instead of passing the Right or Left continous you could split them after either Double Punch and keep the same sound but different look.

F-Roll x 3 ' ' RDP ' ' FSP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' FSP ' ' RSP ' '...repeat.

The underlined are split fists instead of a single fist sequence.

You could also substitute an Outward or Downward triple elbow for the 3-punch Roll and let the last fist link off it.

Did you feel how the second punch of the double punch will have the feel of a single punch during the sequence, with lead fist being a pick up beat? Same thing with the 3 punch F-Roll, with the first two punches being the pick up beats. That's the way I feel it anyway.

By the way, that same 3-Punch F-Roll combo will work for the other part of the song, just a do it a bit faster. The last punch of the 3 punch Roll will land on "1" and the RSP of the singles will land ON the "3" beat during the sequence. All the other beats will line up if you keep that speed.

in a short time, you're gonna own that song on bag.
      THANK YOU AK! I figured out the basic pattern for this a while ago. The fist roll was added in last night simply because the drums do a little extra in those spots. Yes, I can feel when to get out of the fist roll, and I also know exactly rhythmically when to as well. And yes, the first 2 punches are definitely heard and notated as the pickups to the "down beat" which is the 3rd punch of the 3 punch F-ROLL. I like what you are saying about the split fists as well as the O- or D-TES in place of the F-ROLL. I do follow exactly what you are saying. It would look cool and fit in perfectly! I will try that and maybe video it as well.
      I am now a little annoyed that I didn't put in an extra 5-10 of practice to get some punch variation. I really didn't have much confidence that I would get a performance I was happy with in 5 minutes.
      Last night, I really just wanted to satisfy myself and get a performance of where I am currently at with it. I get easily frustrated in "video" mode. This is one of many sequences I can do. I've been talking about it too much with no vid-proof. So here it is!
      By the way, the meat of the song is the part I stop at. The groove gets cookin'. I can't freeestyle so well at THAT tempo. But the tempo of the intro I punched to is a nice medium comfort place for me. I was more trying to lock in to the actual RUSH riffage!
      BAG ON!
      And thanks again AK! The inspiration comes from your clips!

Comment

• Murph
        • Jan 2009

Nice!!!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

THANK YOU AK! I figured out the basic pattern for this a while ago. The fist roll was added in last night simply because the drums do a little extra in those spots. Yes, I can feel when to get out of the fist roll, and I also know exactly rhythmically when to as well.
          BAG ON!
          And thanks again AK! The inspiration comes from your clips!
          Feeling the bag beat and the bag groove is the key. As your baggin techniques grow and combination skills expand, you're gonna be punch drumming like a professional Rock Drummer! Your off to a great start.

who woulda thought....

Work on your 3-3 and 5-1 speed, for they are the basic 6 punch combo's for the syncopated rhythms and you'll need them for freestyling on this song after your opening and they are the fastest because they are in the triplet rhythm (got that extra rebound...) All the Double Punch linking sequences are slower speed punching (2 rebounds in between) and as long as you feel the beat of them, you'll fit them in naturally. For YOU, I'm more concerned about the other combo's in the triplet rhythm, which are faster on this particular song.

You'll get it!
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Hey Bag Brothers!
            Wow, that was great. How long have you been bagging? You're a natural, no doubt about that.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Murph View Post
              Nice!!!
              Originally posted by Tim View Post
              Wow, that was great. How long have you been bagging? You're a natural, no doubt about that.
              Murph and TIm....thanks!

I started bagging 9.10.08... so that was about 4 1/2, almost 5 months ago.....
              BAG ON!

Comment

• Kyle
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2006

Awesome....i love rush
                ________
                WELLBUTRIN ATTORNEYS
                Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:47 AM.

Comment

• Bag Shed Kid
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jan 2009

YY Tich

Nice F-ing work!!!!That was the cool..

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                    Awesome....i love rush
                    Originally posted by Bag Shed Kid View Post
                    Nice F-ing work!!!!That was the cool..
                    Thanks! There will be more Bagification!
                    BAG ON!

Comment

• rocarj
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Sep 2008

Very nice, the music (RUSH) and speedbag, congratulation my friend..

Comment

• Biff
                        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Brian - Once your bagging skills catch up to your drumming skills, this place is in for a wild ride. Nice job!

Comment

• dax_q
                          • Jan 2008

I am jealous.
                          -Dax

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks! There will be more Bagification!
                            BAG ON!
                            You're adding some new words to the English Language!

Man, you're really Bagified, and your punch drumming is becoming Bagnificent. This could really become Bagalicious.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by rocarj View Post
                              Very nice, the music (RUSH) and speedbag, congratulation my friend..
                              Thanks Rocarj!

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                              Brian - Once your bagging skills catch up to your drumming skills, this place is in for a wild ride. Nice job!
                              Thanks Biff!
                              Originally posted by dax_q View Post
                              I am jealous.
                              -Dax
                              Thanks Dax.....Well, not for being jealous, you know what I mean.....
                              It's all in the name of the mightiness of the bag! My advantage is understanding rhythm, time signatures, syncopation and polyrhythms....
                              I am surprised we haven't seen another drummer (besides ALan Kahn) tearing it up. (If Terry Bozzio took up speed bagging we'd all be in for a treat!) Alan is improvising at high speeds with all the advanced technique and power he has. It is so impressive looking and it is not easy to do. I can go slow and improvise a little but I mess up a lot cuz the motor skills aren't up to par with the rhythmic knowledge. But it's getting there....
                              The bag has natural built in rhythm and to keep it locked up you just have to hit in time and make everything sound as if it's traveling steadily down the tracks, like a train. Practice every combo at the same speed and weave in and out of combos while hearing the same steady stream of rebounds.

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                              You're adding some new words to the English Language!

Man, you're really Bagified, and your punch drumming is becoming Bagnificent. This could really become Bagalicious.

AK... Bag you very much!

BAG ON!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...