• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iforwms
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2008

Front double punching

Hey guys, here's another clip, havent had much time to practice, but I have got Alan's book and DVD now, and both are really good! Here's some front double punch, best ones are near the end of the clip I think, also some DFP to DBP in the middle somewhere.

Any pointers appreciated! (I noticed after filming that my elbows are a lot lower than they should be, but I think I can attribute some of that to the fat I was on the bag for about 2 hours tonight!)

Thanks guys,

-Ifor

• iforwms
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2008

Here's another, trying out some new techniques, so I'm going for accuracy rather than speed! Let me know if you have any pointers for me...

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

I noticed you are punching down when you hit the front of the bag, which means your hands end up below the bag. Try to punch in a straight line away from yourself more. Notice you are punching up when you are doing reverse punches.

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

IN the first clip, I noticed you are punching down when you hit the front of the bag, which means your hands end up below the bag. Try to punch in a straight line away from yourself more. Notice you are punching up when you are doing reverse punches.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
          I noticed you are punching down when you hit the front of the bag, which means your hands end up below the bag. Try to punch in a straight line away from yourself more. Notice you are punching up when you are doing reverse punches.
          Correctamundo. The sound of the bag/swivel being jammed upwards tells me the same thing as I watch.

As a suggestion, try a few things. First, start from Reverse Single Punching (RSP). Do three or four (RSP), then pass the fist to the front and do three or four Front Circle Punches (FCP). With each arm separately, do this 3 or 4 times. This will do a couple of things. First, it will make you more comfortable punching from behind the bag. In (RSP), your fists and actually move a tad to the side (reverse-side) area of the bag, so the bag will not rebound directly back into your face, but more of an "X" angle toward the shoulder. Then it will allow you to feel more comfortable passing the fist through that way. A lot of people find it easier to learn "linking" (passing the fists through the bag) starting from the back and coming to the front because you are starting from the blind position behind the bag and moving to the front area which you can see. If you fist is a bit on the side panel you will quickly feel how much easier it is than to try and push it straight through from front-to-back. Linking becomes a LOT easier when your hands are comfortable behind the bag doing those techniques.

Also for the Reverse Double Punch (RDP) do the same thing. Start with Three or four RDP than pass both fists to the front. You have to get comfortable with both fists behind the bag and there is actually no way to get out of punching directly back at your face on this one, SO.... be careful. I have clipped my nose on this lots of times, for there is a tendency to lean it a bit when making contact behind the bag. Bad idea on Reverse Double Punching or Reverse Fist Rolling (R-Roll).

On the RDP, try to hit the belly of the bag and pass fists straight forward to your chin, not upward to the nose. It's easier if you keep the elbows up.

You've got good timing of movement and good distance between your fists, but your swinging angles are giving you some problems. Hopefully these tips will help.

Good luck and good video. It will help a lot of others at the same level.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• iforwms
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            Correctamundo. The sound of the bag/swivel being jammed upwards tells me the same thing as I watch.

As a suggestion, try a few things. First, start from Reverse Single Punching (RSP). Do three or four (RSP), then pass the fist to the front and do three or four Front Circle Punches (FCP). With each arm separately, do this 3 or 4 times. This will do a couple of things. First, it will make you more comfortable punching from behind the bag. In (RSP), your fists and actually move a tad to the side (reverse-side) area of the bag, so the bag will not rebound directly back into your face, but more of an "X" angle toward the shoulder. Then it will allow you to feel more comfortable passing the fist through that way. A lot of people find it easier to learn "linking" (passing the fists through the bag) starting from the back and coming to the front because you are starting from the blind position behind the bag and moving to the front area which you can see. If you fist is a bit on the side panel you will quickly feel how much easier it is than to try and push it straight through from front-to-back. Linking becomes a LOT easier when your hands are comfortable behind the bag doing those techniques.

Also for the Reverse Double Punch (RDP) do the same thing. Start with Three or four RDP than pass both fists to the front. You have to get comfortable with both fists behind the bag and there is actually no way to get out of punching directly back at your face on this one, SO.... be careful. I have clipped my nose on this lots of times, for there is a tendency to lean it a bit when making contact behind the bag. Bad idea on Reverse Double Punching or Reverse Fist Rolling (R-Roll).

On the RDP, try to hit the belly of the bag and pass fists straight forward to your chin, not upward to the nose. It's easier if you keep the elbows up.

You've got good timing of movement and good distance between your fists, but your swinging angles are giving you some problems. Hopefully these tips will help.

Good luck and good video. It will help a lot of others at the same level.
            Thanks Alan and ChrisM for your feedback. I had a brief go last night, and it definitely felt a lot better! Will keep practising and hopefully put up another video soon.

-Ifor

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...