• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

2nd Drum Up!

Last week I finally got my 2nd board up, (will post pics soon) It's a little too close to the first board if two people were punching using elbows and side strikes etc....but for one person to work on 2 at once it's great!
    I will probably put some horizontal 2x4's up and get it all smoother lookin' like Wippet's....
    Weeks ago I had switched out my metal ballhook swivel for the plastic one that came with the 2nd board. And now that I have the 2nd board up, the metal ball hook went up with it. Man, it is so much better then the plastic!
    The plastic sound is a bit boring to me, (Ilike the snap crackle pop of the metal b/h), and the rebound and quickness of the metal ball hook is far superior. I thought some of my bags were slowing down due to the cold weather, but it was most probably the swivel. I am also in to metal music! Not plastic! Just one more reason to stick with the metal ballhook swivel! hahaha....
    Does anyone else notice this much of a difference between the 2? The quiet factor is obviously a benefit with the plastic, but besides that, how does it compare?....
    And....If anyone is into 70's guitar hero Michael Schenker (UFO, Scorpions, MSG), here is a clip of one of the many reasons I've been away from the bag more than I want. I was swamped with many different drum performances (5 shows, 4 different sets, 2 days) this past week/weekend... learning songs, charting them out and rehearsing etc... It was fun but I didn't get to bag for about 5 days.

bK07HQjNQ7I

Last edited by Tim; 01-21-2009, 06:21 PM. Reason: tried to figure out how to embed, unsuccessful...
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
    Last week I finally got my 2nd board up, (will post pics soon) It's a little too close to the first board if two people were punching using elbows and side strikes etc....but for one person to work on 2 at once it's great!
    I will probably put some horizontal 2x4's up and get it all smoother lookin' like Wippet's....
    Weeks ago I had switched out my metal ballhook swivel for the plastic one that came with the 2nd board. And now that I have the 2nd board up, the metal ball hook went up with it. Man, it is so much better then the plastic!
    The plastic sound is a bit boring to me, (Ilike the snap crackle pop of the metal b/h), and the rebound and quickness of the metal ball hook is far superior. I thought some of my bags were slowing down due to the cold weather, but it was most probably the swivel. I am also in to metal music! Not plastic! Just one more reason to stick with the metal ballhook swivel! hahaha....
    Does anyone else notice this much of a difference between the 2? The quiet factor is obviously a benefit with the plastic, but besides that, how does it compare?....
    And....If anyone is into 70's guitar hero Michael Schenker (UFO, Scorpions, MSG), here is a clip of one of the many reasons I've been away from the bag more than I want. I was swamped with many different drum performances (5 shows, 4 different sets, 2 days) this past week/weekend... learning songs, charting them out and rehearsing etc... It was fun but I didn't get to bag for about 5 days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK07HQjNQ7I
    Great video! Nothing like watching a man work who loves his job. Watching me working in my office wouldn't be nearly as entertaining.

By the way, the syncopated combinations on an 8x5 would work great on that song.

I've always preferred metal ball hooks. I know how ya feel.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• riqal
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Aug 2006

...Man, it is so much better then the plastic!
      Does anyone else notice this much of a difference between the 2? The quiet factor is obviously a benefit with the plastic, but besides that, how does it compare?....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK07HQjNQ7I
      I used to own an Everlast metal ballhook and I would agree that it makes the bags move faster. The plastic is a good swivel, but what I have found with the plastic is that you have to keep the bags slightly over inflated in order to maintain a speed you can be satisfied with. I recently acquired a title deluxe pro swivel, and I have to say that I think it is faster than my chainlink swivel - we are talking fast. Since I mainly do the front punching when speedbagging, I am going to sell all four of my plastic swivels on ebay. They should be listed later today.

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I've got plastic up on my board now, there is definitely a difference. Not sure I can describe it accurately just yet though. It's taking me awhile to re-learn how to hit

It's good to be busy, especially when you are doing what you love.

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Oh, and I edited the post to embed the video... do it like this:

HTML Code:
          [youtube]bK07HQjNQ7I[/youtube]

Comment

• spinsmashpop
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post
            Oh, and I edited the post to embed the video... do it like this:

HTML Code:
            [youtube]bK07HQjNQ7I[/youtube]
            Thanks for properly embedding my vid clip Tim.
            I am not the most inflated bag on the rack when it comes to computers..... so.... I follow how it should look when I go to post a vid from you tube... but... the whole "HTML" thing, what it that exactly? Is that the name of the space I am typing in and you are simply stating that inside the HTML region we are type in " "????

Sorry man, but I tried to figure this out before writing, but was unsuccessful.
            Wait now, I am previewing again after what I just wrote......
            Oh wow! Look at that preview! It worked! Nevermind..... and thanks!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              I've got plastic up on my board now, there is definitely a difference. Not sure I can describe it accurately just yet though. It's taking me awhile to re-learn how to hit

It's good to be busy, especially when you are doing what you love.
              I also found the plastic ball difficult to control and I was not sure why either. The rebound just seem to be "off centered" or something. A couple of times I'd stop and remind myself I do know to use this thing. I think with time it would work itself out, but I had the old trusty metal ballhooks available, so I went back to the metal ball, but I do have it in a plastic housing.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• dax_q
                • Jan 2008

Richard,
                That title swivel is fast. Are you enjoying it?
                -Dax

Comment

• riqal
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Aug 2006

Dax,
                  I am enjoying it very much. It is the reason I am selling all of my plastic ballhooks on ebay (I am still keeping my everlast chainlink because it too is an awesome swivel). I did lose the locking pin, however. It is somewhere on my garage floor and I have not been able to find it. No problem, though, I just used a paper clip in place of it.

Are you enjoying the bags? What do you think about the everlast 8x5? It worked best for me when it was slightly overinflated. What about the Tuf-wear? For me, that Tuf-wear bag was a good bag to practice "trapping" exercises with. I would assume a boxing stance and practice hitting the bag as it was moving away from me. Also, that Tuf-wear is a good bag to just beat the stuffings out of and get a good cardio and power workout.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by riqal View Post
                    Dax,
                    I am enjoying it very much. It is the reason I am selling all of my plastic ballhooks on ebay (I am still keeping my everlast chainlink because it too is an awesome swivel). I did lose the locking pin, however. It is somewhere on my garage floor and I have not been able to find it. No problem, though, I just used a paper clip in place of it.

Are you enjoying the bags? What do you think about the everlast 8x5? It worked best for me when it was slightly overinflated. What about the Tuf-wear? For me, that Tuf-wear bag was a good bag to practice "trapping" exercises with. I would assume a boxing stance and practice hitting the bag as it was moving away from me. Also, that Tuf-wear is a good bag to just beat the stuffings out of and get a good cardio and power workout.
                    to advance your power workout, step a bit back from the bag and put the contact point at almost full arm extension.

Most times we stand pretty close to the bag with elbows up and do short spaced circular movements. This is OK for speed and linking, moving the hands quickly over short distance - but doesn't extend your arms for fully power punching. To punch at near max FORCE (rather than speed of movement) step back so you have to extend your arm almost straight to contact the bag. Extending your arm out further will let you hit the bag much harder. At least that is the way I feel it when I want to just "pound away" with full force. I move back and put the contact point at near full extension. Do that with a larger 10x7 or bigger bag and you'll be amazed at how hard you can punch.

(hint: better have a good board to withstand the force of the rebounds)
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• riqal
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Aug 2006

Great advice, Alan. I sometimes do stand back a bit to fully extend my punches. I indeed find this method to be a great way to combine speed and power punching!

Comment

• dax_q
                        • Jan 2008

Richard,
                        I actually don't like any of the bags you sent me. The tuf wear would be awesome if it were smaller. The everlast 8x5 is way to big. It doesn't seem like an 8x5. The only bag I have truly been impressed by right out of the box is the title classic 8x5. Maybe the everlast 7x4. Thanks anyway for sending them.
                        -Dax

Comment

• riqal
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by dax_q View Post
                          Richard,
                          I actually don't like any of the bags you sent me. The tuf wear would be awesome if it were smaller. The everlast 8x5 is way to big. It doesn't seem like an 8x5. The only bag I have truly been impressed by right out of the box is the title classic 8x5. Maybe the everlast 7x4. Thanks anyway for sending them.
                          -Dax
                          Dax,
                          I am sorry to hear that. Those bags worked much better for me on my everlast chainlink than on my plastic ballhook. The chainlink had a shorter rebound arc than that of the plastic, and so the bags were much more energetic with the chainlink. On the plastic, these bags were quite sluggish. The only bags that I felt worked well on the plastic were my everlast 6x4 and both my ringside bags (8x5 and 9x6). I know that it is unheard of on this forum, but you might want to get yourself an everlast chainlink swivel and use it in place of the plastic. Let me know if you want the title delux swivel back. I guess we can "retrade" if you want.

Comment

• dax_q
                            • Jan 2008

No, I don't want to trade back. I love the ball hook with the title 8x5 and everlast 7x4. Just always trying to find something better.
                            -Dax

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...