• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Speed Bag Grooves: 4/4 KIK LIK #1

Hey Bag Brothers!
    Here's something I did last month. With all the drums around in my garage it was only a matter of time before I incorporated them one way or another! I started baggin' 9.10.08 and filmed this 11.11.08. The pattern isn't so difficult, but I like the groove of it! There is more detailed explanation in the youtube text.
    I have since then gotten a lot better and putting combos together, linking, elbows, reverse punches, etc... and I will be coming up with other cool grooves and patterns while keeping time with a foot. The real difficulty is keeping balanced on one foot while keeping "4 on the floor" with the other and using advanced techniques! But man I think it sounds cool and it's fun!
    (And no, there was no audience in my garage! haha... I am learning the whole iMovie thing as I go and found some audio effects for comedic impact while getting this together.)
    Hope you guys dig it. It is only the beginning. And I didn't film my feet because I was really filming myself punch drumming to some Judas Priest but stopped out of frustration of making too many mistakes and looking way too amateur! That led into the whole KIK LIK thing. But man, I have a long way to go before I worry too much about using a 3rd limb while baggin'!
    Anyhow, as always, thanks to Alan Kahn, his Speed Bag Bible and Zack Ruffo for all the inspiration!
    KEEP ON BAGGIN'!

Filmed 11.11.08, after 2 months of baggin'. I have a double bass drum pedal (kick pedal; hence KIK LIK) underneath the board hitting a box. I am keeping 1/4...
    Zach Ruffo
    0.00%
    Alan Kahn
    80.00%
    Prince Naseem Hamed
    0.00%
    Sugar Ray Leonard
    20.00%

The poll is expired.

• Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
    Hey Bag Brothers!
    Here's something I did last month. With all the drums around in my garage it was only a matter of time before I incorporated them one way or another! I started baggin' 9.10.08 and filmed this 11.11.08. The pattern isn't so difficult, but I like the groove of it! There is more detailed explanation in the youtube text.
    I have since then gotten a lot better and putting combos together, linking, elbows, reverse punches, etc... and I will be coming up with other cool grooves and patterns while keeping time with a foot. The real difficulty is keeping balanced on one foot while keeping "4 on the floor" with the other and using advanced techniques! But man I think it sounds cool and it's fun!
    (And no, there was no audience in my garage! haha... I am learning the whole iMovie thing as I go and found some audio effects for comedic impact while getting this together.)
    Hope you guys dig it. It is only the beginning. And I didn't film my feet because I was really filming myself punch drumming to some Judas Priest but stopped out of frustration of making too many mistakes and looking way too amateur! That led into the whole KIK LIK thing. But man, I have a long way to go before I worry too much about using a 3rd limb while baggin'!
    Anyhow, as always, thanks to Alan Kahn, his Speed Bag Bible and Zack Ruffo for all the inspiration!
    KEEP ON BAGGIN'!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmSUOXBTn6Y

OUTSTANDING. Great combo's right "on beat". Gee, who woulda thought. A professional drummer, right on beat. I would call this a mix between cadence punching and some pretty nice sycopation also.

You're getting it man. Looks like we definitely got another Punch drummer in the house
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

iMovie thing as I go and found some audio effects for comedic impact while getting this together.)
      Sounds great.

I don't have a kick pedal (or drums of any sort). Any ideas where I could find a audio clip of that beat (or something similar) and try to hit to it? I've tried punch drumming to actual music, but not had too much success so far.

PS Macs rule I've made most of my clips with iMovie as well.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Thanks guys!

Well of course the Speed Bag Bible and the DVDs helped! Thanks Alan!
        I will post more soon. I think the natural rhythms we all make baggin' sound awesome!

Tim, when I get a little time I will record that rhythm one way or another and post it as an MP3. I can record 2 minute clips of it being played slow, medium and fast to punch to. I suppose I could e-mail it to you directly and you could have it in your iTunes. Send a private message to me with your e-mail.

KEEP ON BAGGIN'!

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Tim, when I get a little time I will record that rhythm one way or another and post it as an MP3. I can record 2 minute clips of it being played slow, medium and fast to punch to. I suppose I could e-mail it to you directly and you could have it in your iTunes. Send a private message to me with your e-mail.

KEEP ON BAGGIN'!
          Thanks man, I'll PM you. I tried to make a clip with GarageBand but couldn't quite figure it out

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...