• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iforwms
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2008

one week in!

hey guys, i'm hoping you can give me some tips or suggestions about my technique etc.

Only got this bag and platform a week ago on ebay, so go easy!

Thanks Alan and speedbagskunk for all the useful info on this site and on youtube!

Never used a speedbag before, here's me one week after I got the bag and platform. Any tips or suggestions please let me know...

-iforwms
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Looks excellent for only 1 week!

Pretty good pass through the bag (around the :33 mark of the clip) but you should aim to keep the motion less of a figure 8 and more of a "straight through", dip the fist as little as possible. Sounds (and is) hard at first but you'll get the hang of it.

Be sure to check out http://www.speedbagcentral.com if you haven't already, it's a gold mine. I also highly recommend the speed bag bible in book or DVD format.

Comment

• Roc Stone
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2007

Hey,

Nice rig, it performs really solid. Way to go.

I do have a few 3-'P' theories that I often refer to (for personal use) and the one that I apply to the speed bag is: Practice, Persist, Progress.

You might be a bit too young for my numerous other 3-'P' theories, so I'll tell you about them when you get a little bit older.
      sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• iforwms
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Nov 2008

Tim - thanks for the advice. I'll definately concentrate on keeping my arm straight.

I recently borrowed a smaller bag from a friend, and found that a lot better, as the bag I have is quite big and heavy and very slow!

Should I continue with this larger bag, or move onto the smaller one? I can comfortably do what I was doing on the bigger bag on the smaller one now, but somewhat faster.

========================

Roc - thanks, happy with it, got it for about £50, but with the bigger bag especially the wooden 'roof' vibrates quite a lot, thought of possibly adding weight to it? Not sure if you have any experience doing that? I would have thought it would speed up the bag as well as dampen the noise too...

Well I'm nearly 23 now, so maybe you can let me in on a few more of your theories!

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by iforwms View Post
          Should I continue with this larger bag, or move onto the smaller one? I can comfortably do what I was doing on the bigger bag on the smaller one now, but somewhat faster.
          Yes, no reason to stick with the larger bag if you can handle the smaller one. You'll find that for new combos and techniques you may return to the bigger bag to learn them, then move to the smaller bag as you gain proficiency. I generally hit several sizes: 10x7, 9x6, 8x5, and 7x4, but I mostly hit 8x5.

Comment

• iforwms
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post
            Yes, no reason to stick with the larger bag if you can handle the smaller one. You'll find that for new combos and techniques you may return to the bigger bag to learn them, then move to the smaller bag as you gain proficiency. I generally hit several sizes: 10x7, 9x6, 8x5, and 7x4, but I mostly hit 8x5.
            Ok thanks, I'll keep using the smaller one. I think it's an 8x5, but I burst the bladder last night so I've just had to order a new one - just as I was getting used to the smaller one! Typical! I won't inflate the next bladder quite so much!

I assume increasing the speed at which you can hit the ball is down to miminising your hand movements, I guess it's just a case of practice? Also, I find I can punch the fastest using an FSP FCP combination, rather than 2 FCP, is this a problem?

I've checked out speedbag central - a lot of good info!

Thanks for the great site and your advice!

-Ifor

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by iforwms;9120....
              I find I can punch the fastest using an FSP FCP combination, rather than 2 FCP, is this a problem?

I've checked out speedbag central - a lot of good info!

Thanks for the great site and your advice!

-Ifor
              No I don't think it is a problem. You will quickly learn to do almost everything you know how to do after the FSP or FCP. You can pass the fist through the bag after either one. The main thing is that the FSP moves "inward" to the center of the chest and the FCP is an "outward" movement.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by iforwms View Post
                I assume increasing the speed at which you can hit the ball is down to miminising your hand movements,
                Yep, you hit the nail on the head, aim for minimum movement at all times.

I guess it's just a case of practice?
                There really is no substitute for lots of time under the board, practice, practice, practice.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...