X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whippet
    • Nov 2008

My first set-up

I did some homework before making the purchase. I have a few bags and swivels. I have settled on the Everlast metal ball swivel but I (painstakingly) removed the hook from a Tuf Wear metal ball swivel because I like the nice wide triangular shape of it - and the way that it comes close to "closing" the triangle, not allowing much room for the bag to jump off/out.
    No videos of me yet - I have work to do. I am 43 and I think I have found something that I can truly say that I like to do; and it's so simple (not easy). I wish that I had tried this 20 years ago.
    Anyhow, hello to everyone from Edmonton Alberta.

Dennis
    Attached Files
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Now that looks like one sweet bagging set up. I need to get me a few Rival bags, too. I haven't seen a tuf-wear Ball hook in a LONG time.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ukspeedbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

Hey, welcome to the forum! That looks like a great set-up, I have that Rival bag too. It's a great bag to start out with, I use mine for learning new stuff like combinations.
      Good edit on you picture too!

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Whippet View Post
        No videos of me yet - I have work to do. I am 43 and I think I have found something that I can truly say that I like to do; and it's so simple (not easy). I wish that I had tried this 20 years ago.
        Anyhow, hello to everyone from Edmonton Alberta.
        Looks great. I too often wish I had started at an earlier age ... but no reason to let that hold you back.

Good luck and let us know if you have questions.

Comment

• andy302
          • Nov 2008

hi hoping you can help pls ive just bought a golds gym boxing frame the speedbag seems realy slow i think theres to much vibration through the board any advice on how to cure this many thanks

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Add some weight to the top of it, excess vibration can kill the rebounds. A 40 or 50 lb bag of sound does nicely.

Also, if it's the golds gym unit i have, the swivel is really big and bulky, that doesn't help much either

Can you post a pic of how it's mounted?

Comment

• andy302
              • Nov 2008

thanks ill try the sand ive also ordered a pro swivel hopefully that might help also thinking of getting a smaller bag

Comment

• Whippet
                • Nov 2008

Tuf Wear rides again!

Well, I am continuing to learn and have had the opportunity to pick up a couple of bags on the cheap. I have found that the bag I am really growing to like more than the rest is the old Tuf Wear that I have. I got it for next to nothing from an older gent who sold me one of those heavy bag/speed bag combo frames (everything was made by Tuf Wear USA - even the bags and swivel). It was old, but in excellent condition. In fact he had never used the speed bag. It is about 10x7 and MUCH softer leather than even the Rival. It is as soft as a nice leather coat (somewhere there is an animal making a real sarcastic joke). The red Everlast bag that I have seems like hard cardboard in comparison. Rebounds like it too.
                If I could buy another one of these Tuff Wear bags (or more) I would dump all of my other bags for it. I am just a little unsure if it is something I should be beating on or donating to a museam? Will I be able to find another one?
                Thanks to everyone for all their time and effort they take to help out here. Us old dogs can learn from young ones too. Some day a video, but I am just not there yet.

Dennis in Edmonton
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Whippet; 11-28-2008, 09:12 PM.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Balazs platform

Hi Whippet.
                  Cool bagging pictures and set up! I was wondering what you thought of the Balazs platform? I was going through Tim's list of equipment links and the Balazs platform caught my eye for the price. Do you think it's comparable to the top of the line Everlast platforms? It's looks real solid and easily managed.
                  For cost effectiveness, and because it included a bag I didn't have and a jumprope my daughter loves, I just bought a 2nd Everlast low end platform. But having to use a tool to unscrew the height adjustment part of it and then make sure it's even on both sides is a hassle and takes away from precious bag time. (I'm a dad, every minute counts!)
                  The Balazs looks like a much less expensive version of the Everlast ones that are nearly 1,000.00.
                  Thanks, keep on baggin'!

Comment

• andy302
                    • Nov 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00260.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	87246 hi im from uk just orded this speedbag platform its supposed to stop vibration just wondering what you guys think thanks

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by andy302 View Post
                      [ATTACH]353[/ATTACH] hi im from uk just orded this speedbag platform its supposed to stop vibration just wondering what you guys think thanks
                      That's a model I've never seen before. Can you post the link to the vendor that sells that?

Comment

• andy302
                        • Nov 2008

its from sugar rays boxing store in uk its got a 6oommx25mm mdf board finished in beach on both sides so hope its good sorry not that good on a computer not to sure how to post link to it
                        Last edited by andy302; 12-02-2008, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
                          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                          That's a model I've never seen before. Can you post the link to the vendor that sells that?
                          Originally posted by andy302 View Post
                          its from sugar rays boxing store in uk its got a 6oommx25mm mdf board finished in beach on both sides so hope its good sorry not that good on a computer not to sure how to post link to it
                          Not a problem, andy302. I think it's here.
                          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                          The Quest Continues...
                          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Whippet
                            • Nov 2008

Balaz Platform

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                            Hi Whippet.
                            Cool bagging pictures and set up! I was wondering what you thought of the Balazs platform? I was going through Tim's list of equipment links and the Balazs platform caught my eye for the price. Do you think it's comparable to the top of the line Everlast platforms? It's looks real solid and easily managed.
                            For cost effectiveness, and because it included a bag I didn't have and a jumprope my daughter loves, I just bought a 2nd Everlast low end platform. But having to use a tool to unscrew the height adjustment part of it and then make sure it's even on both sides is a hassle and takes away from precious bag time. (I'm a dad, every minute counts!)
                            The Balazs looks like a much less expensive version of the Everlast ones that are nearly 1,000.00.
                            Thanks, keep on baggin'!
                            I am really happy with it. It is very, very solid - you can tell when you lift it out of the box that it is solid, well made (and heavy). I am still going to try a sandbag on the top - it can't hurt.
                            Other than the drum, I can't see much difference between the I-box unit and the high-end Everlast units either. One of the other guys here added a hand-made, solid maple drum (1 3/4" I believe) to the Balazs unit for just over a hundred USD - it was from Baird Brothers ... I got a quote of $142USD for 1 1/2" solid maple, butcher block or plank style.
                            On the other hand, I am really impressed with what I see of the unit that you purchased. There seem to be a lot of them out there for good reason. I am 43 and a beginner at this. I share your passion for hitting the bag too; like everything else, it's the man that makes the (clothes, whatever), not the other way around. There are quite a number of guys here using lower end equipment that possess great skills that I both admire and hope to achieve some day myself.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...