• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jedd Johnson
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2006

Attempt at Quadruple Elbow Strikes

I have had a hard time picking up the elbow stuff because I am not really that nimble, but I was surprised at how well I did when i first tried quad elbow strikes for the first time, so i caught it on camera.

I have a really hard time controlling the bag with long sleeves, which I had on for this video.

I'd love to get suggestions about improving my approach on this technique.

Check it out here: http://www.dieselcrew.com/speed-bag-...elbow-strikes/

Thanks,

-Jedd-
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I tried to view the video but it won't show in my browser (Mac). Can you upload it to youtube?

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jedd Johnson View Post
      I have had a hard time picking up the elbow stuff because I am not really that nimble, but I was surprised at how well I did when i first tried quad elbow strikes for the first time, so i caught it on camera.

I have a really hard time controlling the bag with long sleeves, which I had on for this video.

I'd love to get suggestions about improving my approach on this technique.

Check it out here: http://www.dieselcrew.com/speed-bag-...elbow-strikes/

Thanks,

-Jedd-
      It appears that you have the movement (which I call "Out & Down 4-Way", since it joins 4 parts - the Outward Double ES and a Downward Double ES with one rebound in between with a E-F-E-F order of contanct) down fine and are making the most common error or miss on this technique - and it has to do with the downward arm position and the last fist. This technique is one of the longest movements to unfold, and there are a couple of basic problems that I see a lot. But it will take a bit of explaining to help you understand some of how these problems happen and how to tell what you are doing.

First, there is a tendency "speed up" the movement, and bring the last fist down a bit too soon. When that happens, you may find your last fist misses by passing under the bag, indicating the bag was still a bit too high from it's last rebound. Normally your ears will hear the accented sounds getting a bit faster on each contact, and the last fist will either miss or graze the bottom of the bag as it comes down. Now the bag normally goes faster when you hit it harder, so theoretically it should still be in the right part of the rebound arc to hit it cleanly, but if you bring that last fist down faster than the other parts, it will be in the hitting area before the bag, and it makes a weak contact.
      The first fist in this techniques is normally where the speeding up occurs, since adding a bit of power to that punch will speed the bag up and you'll react quickly by speeding up the downward moving elbow.

The second problem can be caused by arm and fist positions. First, the Downward Elbow (3rd part to hit) may be too close to the lead fist (2nd part to hit). When that happens you will notice the bag hits up on your downward moving forearm, not on the point of the elbow. this happens because your downward elbow ( 3rd part) gets into position too early, when the bag is still close to the board (early in the rebound) and when it gets into the correct position your elbow has already passed under, and the bag hits your forearm. At that point the bag kind of slides up your arm, or your arm slides down under the bag, and IF your downward fist makes contact - it will be a weak misshit.

A second position problem occurs If you hold your downard arm too close, keeping your forearm on the bicep too long and not extending the downward fist out a bit to make contact. When this happens, ( and if all other 3 parts connect good) then you will probably hit the bag late in that rebound, for your fist should have extend a bit to hit the bag a bit sooner in that rebound. A telltale sign of this is jamming the swivel upward into the housing because your fist hit the bottom of the bag, ( late in the rebound) and drives the bag upward. This will normally cause the bag to slow way down or begin to helicopter around.

In your case I see the bag was hitting your forearm a bit and sliding up your arm. I also noticed your last fist sort of misshits about half the time. I suggest you practice keeping all these parts together as "one smooth movement" so no part goes faster or harder than the other ( with practice you will learn to emphasize individual contacts within the technique - but you can't learn it that way) A second thought is your positions. This is a naturally more difficult motion for bigger broader guys. The biggest problem for them is usually the outward elbow position and motion, ( pulling that arm and elbow across their body.) the trick is to make it easier by twisting from the waist and turning your torso, making it easier to target that lead elbow.

Sorry this was a bit long winded, but I did want to explain how problems can occur in this technique. It is often difficult to figure out where the problem is, but if you understand how it can go wrong perhaps you can figure out what's causing you to miss. Listen to the beat of your bag as you do the technique and see if it sound like it speeds up during your execution. Theoretically, all hits should be at the same pace. I also go through periods of missing this technique, for the same reasons pointed above, trying to speed it up and bring the last fist in too early.

hope this helps big guy. keep practicing! You've pretty much got it, just hone it in a bit more.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Jedd Johnson
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Oct 2006

Alan, you are spot on bro. Great catches you have made. I can actually feel what you have written in my mind if that makes sense. Your ability to put these fine movements into words is amazing. Thanks a lot for the explanation - you can bet I will continue to work on it!

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jedd Johnson View Post
          Alan, you are spot on bro. Great catches you have made. I can actually feel what you have written in my mind if that makes sense. Your ability to put these fine movements into words is amazing. Thanks a lot for the explanation - you can bet I will continue to work on it!
          Ahh, Jedd - like most things, it all comes down to Basics. The Basics of your physical movements and the bags reaction to them. As an expert yourself in Strength movements, you know that most things comes down to technique and timing. In the O&D 4-way elbow, it is a bit easier to see what is happening from a side view, noticing where the bag hits on the 4 parts involved, hearing the sound and speed of the rebounds, and understanding a bit about what may cause a miss. This is ALL timing, and if the bag, elbow of fist is not in the correct angle of the rebound when it is supposed to be, then a miss hit will occur. The type of miss it, (on the forearm or on the bottom of the bag) kind of tells you what happened.

I guess seeing a couple million of them helps too....
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...