• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bunud
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2020

Self-made Speed Bag Set-up

Good afternoon everyone. I thought I'd join up, say hello and share some pictures of my new speed bag set-up. I'm really pleased with the finished product, it's super rigid and the swivel is so tight and fast.
    Last edited by Bunud; 10-10-2020, 09:56 AM.
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Looks good and solid.

Comment

• dad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2018

Nice job

Comment

• Mickey Dix
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jul 2019

Hello and welcome, looks like a winner!!! Nice solid design. Good luck

Comment

• DizzyD
          • Jun 2020

Hello Bunud! Nice looking setup you got there! Have fun with it!

Comment

• pinzpirate
            • Feb 2020

Good stuff The plastic end caps are a nice touch

Comment

• surfingcowboy
              • May 2020

Great Job on making your own!

Comment

• Zaz
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Sep 2018

Very nice platform! Looks solid!

Comment

• BagBoy
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jan 2018

Welcome.

OK, so nobody's going to ask? Um, what the hell swivel is that? ..and I mean it in a good way.
                  Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Bunud
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Oct 2020

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
                    Welcome.

OK, so nobody's going to ask? Um, what the hell swivel is that? ..and I mean it in a good way.
                    I designed and made the swivel. I machined the main body from solid Stainless Steel billet. There are 2 x 35mm diameter bearings within. The pin is also Stainless Steel, with 2 small bearings in there, this allows the bag hanger to run smoother with no play! I cut the bag hanger from aluminium plate on a waterjet cutter, then finish machined it. I cut 4 different sizes (heights), the one shown is the longest one and its still very fast.
                    Until I made this I'd not hit a bag for 20 years. I looked at swivels and thought I could make something comparable. I feel it's perfect for me, but I'm no speed bag expert. I'd certainly be interested to see how someone who'd hit a lot of different bags & swivels would rate it.
                    Last edited by Bunud; 10-13-2020, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• rdshackleford
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Oct 2016

Nice work. Got any pics of the swivel before mounting on the drum? Looks like it is sunk into the drum.

Many bible baggers hate the u-bolt for the reason changing direction of the punch will jam and mess up the rebound. That doesn't happen on the u-bolt for oxing style and straight punches.

You already know a shorter hanger will increase the speed when you need it. The only thing I can think of to improve your design would be a quick-release detent pin instead of the bolt & acorn nut to make bag changes easier.
                      @ArcSwivel
                      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Bunud
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Oct 2020

Thanks, I appreciate that. I've taken a few pictures tonight so you can see it better. I have sunk it into the drum as I thought it looked so much better, plus it reduces the overall length. But is was really more about aesthetics for me. I fix the swivel using M6 countersink bolts. They go right through the drum and secured with nuts at the top

I can totally see why Bible baggers would not like this type of swivel, there's no way this type could compete with the ball type for multi directional impact.

I'm in the process of making some amendments to the design of the bag hanger. I prefer to keep that fixed within the bearings and I'm wondering if a slot (cut out) through the bottom bar the the bag hangs from, this allowing the bag to be attached from there. Then I will add another support bar higher up, to keep the hanger one piece and still rigid.
                        Any thoughts or feedback on this idea would be great!

Comment

• rdshackleford
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Bunud View Post
                          T...I prefer to keep that fixed within the bearings and I'm wondering if a slot (cut out) through the bottom bar the the bag hangs from, this allowing the bag to be attached from there. Then I will add another support bar higher up, to keep the hanger one piece and still rigid.
                          Any thoughts or feedback on this idea would be great!
                          I don't understand your description. So, I guess go for it! There is no substitute for trial and error in the inventing business.
                          @ArcSwivel
                          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...