• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Jeff Thrasher View Post
    I haven't been doing this as long as a lot of you but i have been a carpenter my entire life. I would venture to say that i probably change out more swivels than everyone but maybe Tom.....The inserts are great if you have the ability to use them but if you cant slow the speed of your drill, use course threat wood screws and call it a day. I actually have a video on youtue showing you how to install a swivel with existing holes.
    That's good info too. I'm really a digital/virtual guy with no experience in this sort of stuff.

Regarding Alan's comment on the quality of wood - the default Balazs drum with the i-Box is "high density manufactured wood" - i.e. particle board??? Whereas the Pro platforms have Maple drums. Would the type of wood change your opinion on using course thread wood screws?

I ask because shortly I'm hanging (and reviewing) a Balazs Pro platform with the 36" Maple drum - I want to keep it in pristine shape, if at all possible.

Tim

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
      This is what I would use if I needed to re-thread a drum for a swivel, or if I was building a new platform. That one accepts 10-32 machine screws, but they have bigger sizes too. E-Z Lok knife edge.

This looks really easy to install? Just drill a slightly undersize pilot hole than screw this in with a screwdriver - right?

Comment

• rdshackleford
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2016

The size for the hole is specified. You get the best results using a Forstner drill bit. The trick is to hold the drill perfectly vertical. It may help to drill a small diameter pilot hole so that the Forstner bit tracks where you want it to. Also, if your machine screws are longer than the threaded insert, you have to drill the pilot hole wide enough for the part of the machine screw that extends past the E-Z Lok insert.

But once you have the inserts installed, they allow much more torque than a simple screw into wood.
        @ArcSwivel
        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
          The size for the hole is specified. You get the best results using a Forstner drill bit. ...

But once you have the inserts installed, they allow much more torque than a simple screw into wood.
          Got it ... thanks for the info.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...