X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2018

For what it's worth Mark,one thing I have done over my many years of wood working when it comes to applying a Urethane or Vanish is to cut the first coat with Mineral Spirits by 10 to 20%. This cuts down on the viscosity and allows the material to penetrate the gain and make for a much better sealer and bonding agent.

Comment

• UK mark
      • Nov 2018

Originally posted by dad View Post
      For what it's worth Mark,one thing I have done over my many years of wood working when it comes to applying a Urethane or Vanish is to cut the first coat with Mineral Spirits by 10 to 20%. This cuts down on the viscosity and allows the material to penetrate the gain and make for a much better sealer and bonding agent.
      Ah thanks, even when using clear varnish? I've used 80 grit on an orbital sander lightly to prepare it for varnish, would I be best in sanding the last coat with 400 grit to make it real smooth ?

Comment

• dad
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2018

I would go with a 120 on the orbital for prep and scuff sand in-between each coat with a 000 steel wool and finish with a 400 to 600 and most importantly take you time. This is only my preference other may do it differently. You may also give pumice some thought for your final finish. No matter which road you venture down like Mickey Dix said we are really enjoying your journey so keep us posted.

Comment

• UK mark
          • Nov 2018

Originally posted by dad View Post
          I would go with a 120 on the orbital for prep and scuff sand in-between each coat with a 000 steel wool and finish with a 400 to 600 and most importantly take you time. This is only my preference other may do it differently. You may also give pumice some thought for your final finish. No matter which road you venture down like Mickey Dix said we are really enjoying your journey so keep us posted.
          Thanks, I started with 120, only done 1 coat on each side so far so I'll be sure to follow your advice, next job is to fabricate the steel frame as and when I get the opportunity to use a welder

Comment

• Roverramge
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jun 2020

What glue or epoxy did you use to bond the two pieces together?

Comment

• surfingcowboy
              • May 2020

Looks like your Drum is going to be a Dandy

Comment

• UK mark
                • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Roverramge View Post
                What glue or epoxy did you use to bond the two pieces together?
                I think it was uni bond wood glue, I also drilled and put a wooden dowel in the centre to keep them secure as I bonded them together

Comment

• UK mark
                  • Nov 2018

Originally posted by surfingcowboy View Post
                  Looks like your Drum is going to be a Dandy

Thanks

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...