X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UK mark
    • Nov 2018

Oak drum

Having found myself with some free time I decided to make a start on my next speedbag platform, using my own router jig, cutting out 2 drums from oak butchers block worktop, will be bonding them together to make a 3.15 inch (80 mm) thick drum
    I'll mount it on my tried and tested speedking tw1 frame, colour scheme not yet decided, maybe a polished steel finish or even chrome depending on how much it will cost ...what are your thoughts?
    Attached Files
  • Zaz
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2018

I would just put 4 to 8 coats of varnish. I like the look of natural wood but it's just my personal taste.

Comment

• BagBoy
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jan 2018

Mark those are going to be great drums! Agree with ZAZ - you varnish and swivel those up and they're ready for killer action.

I really wanna make a "GOT WOOD" joke but we're all fellas here so I won't.
      Last edited by BagBoy; 06-04-2020, 09:03 PM. Reason: Added the joke about the joke I didn't make
      Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Mickey Dix
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jul 2019

Originally posted by UK mark View Post
        Having found myself with some free time I decided to make a start on my next speedbag platform, using my own router jig, cutting out 2 drums from oak butchers block worktop, will be bonding them together to make a 3.15 inch (80 mm) thick drum
        I'll mount it on my tried and tested speedking tw1 frame, colour scheme not yet decided, maybe a polished steel finish or even chrome depending on how much it will cost ...what are your thoughts?
        Hi Mark, that’s a beautiful looking drum.You are a very good craftsman.Nothing sounds and rebounds better then a good solid drum.Great job!!!!

Comment

• pinzpirate
          • Feb 2020

If you know someone with a body shop talk to them about spraying it with their clear coat system
          You can block/ wet sand it and buff to a mirror finish It will not only be beautiful but weather proof since
          it's an automotive finish A high solids urethane has a very hard surface as well A lot of automotive
          clear coat systems are polyester acrylic I think they would work just as well

Comment

• UK mark
            • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Zaz View Post
            I would just put 4 to 8 coats of varnish. I like the look of natural wood but it's just my personal taste.
            You think clear varnish? ...as I'd like to keep the natural colour of it, would you oil it before or just varnish it, never worked with oak before

Comment

• UK mark
              • Nov 2018

Originally posted by pinzpirate View Post
              If you know someone with a body shop talk to them about spraying it with their clear coat system
              You can block/ wet sand it and buff to a mirror finish It will not only be beautiful but weather proof since
              it's an automotive finish A high solids urethane has a very hard surface as well A lot of automotive
              clear coat systems are polyester acrylic I think they would work just as well
              That's a good idea, there is actually a body shop where I work too, I'll enquire about that option ..thanks

Comment

• UK mark
                • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Mickey Dix View Post

Hi Mark, that’s a beautiful looking drum.You are a very good craftsman.Nothing sounds and rebounds better then a good solid drum.Great job!!!!
                Thanks ...I was a bit nervous about cutting it myself as it's a nice piece of wood, just a bit of sanding around the edges to even it up once bonded together

Comment

• UK mark
                  • Nov 2018

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
                  Mark those are going to be great drums! Agree with ZAZ - you varnish and swivel those up and they're ready for killer action.

I really wanna make a "GOT WOOD" joke but we're all fellas here so I won't.
                  Haha ...thanks, thinking of buying a decent welder so I can do these at home, as I've been using the welder at work to fabricate the frames which takes longer

Comment

• dad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Dec 2018

Hi Mark, that's some nice work, great grain and I agree with the guy's, keep it natural. As for the mount I would prefer a Black Powder Coat that would really make that drum pop. Would like to hear the sound when you get done.

Comment

• Zaz
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Sep 2018

You think clear varnish? ...as I'd like to keep the natural colour of it, would you oil it before or just varnish it, never worked with oak before
                      I only used satin varnish on my maple drum. I'm very happy with the result.

Comment

• Old Red
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Mar 2017

Oak has an open grain. Coats of varnish will fill it but using a colored filler makes the grain really stand out.

Comment

• UK mark
                          • Nov 2018

Now the bonding process begins..
                          Attached Files

Comment

• UK mark
                            • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Old Red View Post
                            Oak has an open grain. Coats of varnish will fill it but using a colored filler makes the grain really stand out.
                            I'd like to do that but there aren't any gaps on the surface to fill

Comment

• Mickey Dix
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Jul 2019

Now the bonding process begins..
                              Thanks for taking us trough this journey of how the drum is being put together.I can just imagine how your drum is going to sound . Great work.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...