• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Some F-Roll and Triple O-DES

Happy 4th of July !

As always - comments and feedback are welcome.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Tim progress

Looking VERY nice. Super arm position for single fist pass through Front to back, and F-Rolls.

OTES is good leading with both elbows. Each sounds and looks a little "rushed" at the end, as if you're speeding up a bit when doing it, and your hands ending a little low afterward. Also didn't see a continuous alternating OTES ' ' ' OTES, and with your ending arm position that might be a problem.

Concerning the OTES (and FDP for that matter...): With time you will start to sense the correct separation between the fists. They will separate when going slower, and close when going faster. You will also begin to feel EACH individually within the technique. I know I stress moving all the parts together in a smooth flow, which is a KEY to learning the motions and timing. But with experience, you will begin to adjust the fists individually.

Just for Fun, Tim - try doing FDP and OTES combinations as SLOW as you can. Go from one to the other, S-L-O-W. This will force you to put the breaks on your tendency to rush your double fist motion. You have the arm positions and swinging motions down really well. Purposely slowing it all down will help your individual hand control, which will be important when you move to more complicated lead fist, second fist, both linking, and well as the side motions. Slowing it down on a small bag (9x6, 8x5) will also help foster light, controlled movements.

Nice F-Rolling by the way. Your advancement is evident!
    Last edited by Speedbag; 07-04-2006, 10:06 PM. Reason: addition
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• nowheredesign
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jun 2006

Very nicely done!

Good, swift elbows. also, I can see a big improvement in your hands going through the bag.

Kudos!

PS: Do you find that your platform shaking like that is a distraction?

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by nowheredesign
        Kudos!

PS: Do you find that your platform shaking like that is a distraction?
        Thanks, and yes I don't care for that platform. I feel like I have been able to make good progress, but I believe I would be doing better on a stable platform. I am getting an i-box soon...

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Some continuous (well almost ... ) alternating O-TES

Man this stuff is fun
          Last edited by Tim; 08-08-2006, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

O-tes

Hey Tim.

Good contact and starting positions.

Some suggestions:

Do them Slower. Try and do them at the real speed of your slow motion clip (1/2 as fast). Blasting all three parts into the bag is not the secret to doing this. Going slower will help you feel the individual parts, which will be important when you start doing single fist linking ( lead or second) during this technique.

After your right elbow leads, and hits "elbow-fist" when your left fist hits your right arm has drop completely to your side. Then, at the last moment you raise it for next left leading O-TES. I suggest you try to keep your right hand fist close to your left. As you do Continous Alternating O-TES, think of a 4 or 5 inch string connecting your fists together. If they stay closer it may be easier to keep a consistent flow, and not have to rush through the technique quite so fast.

Hope it helps.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Slower:

I threw in the clip from the previous day to make comparison easier. Today I tried to concentrate on keeping the fists closer together.

Need more practice

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

OTES continuous

Originally posted by Tim
                Slower:

I threw in the clip from the previous day to make comparison easier. Today I tried to concentrate on keeping the fists closer together.

Need more practice
                ah ha! Tim, I think I know what is bugging me about this combination. In your NEW video (white shirt), You still drop the arm with the leading elbow after the technique. It is very noticeable with your right arm, (facing the camera). After your right elbow-fist connects, the left fists completes the technique, and your right fist drops to your side. It raises to become the second fist in then next left leading OTES at the last moment. You are not really holding them close together. The newest video finds your hands better but I finally see why your are doing this....

The problem is your body position. You are standing completely straight, facing the bag. good start. but you also have to move with the flow of your punching. You maintain your shoulders pretty much parallel to the bag. Now, watch your LEFT fist as it positions to get the left elbow in the lead (front of the bag) position. Your left fist goes at neck level, and passes almost an inch behind your neck (under your right ear). this pulls your elbow to the front of the bag, and I believe forces your right arm down.
                If you kept your right fist up by your right ear, it would look better and be easier, but a better fix would be to rotate your body so you could see your chest facing the camera. You won't need to pull your left arm nearly as far across your body, and will actually make your alignment and movement back to the bag easier.

Look at the picture below, top left. It is an action shot of the OTES, same angle as your video. Note the body turn, the position of left and right fists. In this position, your left fist was way behind your neck. You won't need it there if you turn your body a little.

you got the technique, the timing and the rhythm. now relax and start dancing a little, shuffle around and let your body move naturally with your punching motions. Try to do all of this standing perfectly square to the bag actually makes it harder.

hope it makes sense and helps you.
                Last edited by Speedbag; 08-11-2006, 01:25 PM.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag
                  hope it makes sense and helps you.
                  Absolutely... I'm working on it

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...