X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UK mark
    • Nov 2018

Drum ?

Hi guys me again haha ...so I had the opportunity to grab this thick section of a tree trunk for free , not sure what tree it's from but it's big enough to cut out 24 inch diameter from it , question is would this make a good drum? And what kind of treatment should I give it to preserve it ...ie stop it rotting, cracking as I dry it out ?
    Attached Files
  • Zaz
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2018

I wish I could answer your question. If you could find a way to keep it from cracking, this piece of wood could turn out to be the most beautiful drum i've ever seen!

Comment

• BagBoy
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jan 2018

Mark, it is hard to see what kind of wood/tree that is. Some woods are more dense than others making them better candidates for a potential platform. It's a pretty cool idea..
      Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• rdshackleford
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2016

You could do what I did and encase the wood inside clear resin. Mine started out as 3 sections of wood made to look like a red lava river running thru it.

@ArcSwivel
        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2016

Also, with resin, you could keep the bark and end up with a drum larger than 24", which is very nice. Mine is 26" and fits all my bags without taking up the huge space of a 30" drum. Use your imagination, with resin you can do so many things with color. Cut out a chunk and burn it like it was hit by lightning, who knows.
          @ArcSwivel
          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Jim Walker
            • Dec 2018

Here is an article about wood "cookies" cracking. Also, you might look up an alcohol method that some have tried.
            All wood splits, some more than others, but it all splits. It even splits when paid professionals try to make it not split. This is good news for those of you wanting to snuggle by a warm fire, but…

Comment

• Mickey Dix
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Jul 2019

Originally posted by UK mark View Post
              Hi guys me again haha ...so I had the opportunity to grab this thick section of a tree trunk for free , not sure what tree it's from but it's big enough to cut out 24 inch diameter from it , question is would this make a good drum? And what kind of treatment should I give it to preserve it ...ie stop it rotting, cracking as I dry it out ?
              That’s a really cool idea Mark. Looks like you will have a lot of work headed your way. Good job and good luck.

Comment

• UK mark
                • Nov 2018

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                You could do what I did and encase the wood inside clear resin. Mine started out as 3 sections of wood made to look like a red lava river running thru it.

Yeah I was thinking about that too as I saw one on here that gave me the idea ... might have been yours in fact,
                did you stain/varnish it before you used epoxy resin?

Comment

• UK mark
                  • Nov 2018

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
                  Mark, it is hard to see what kind of wood/tree that is. Some woods are more dense than others making them better candidates for a potential platform. It's a pretty cool idea..
                  Thanks, been speaking to a cnc wood machinist he said I might have a problem with the edges splitting open due to the grain direction, so I'll have to think about the best plan of action

Comment

• rdshackleford
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by UK mark View Post
                    Yeah I was thinking about that too as I saw one on here that gave me the idea ... might have been yours in fact,
                    did you stain/varnish it before you used epoxy resin?
                    I didn't do any of it. I found a guy on Etsy who makes epoxy resin tables and asked if he would make a 26" round x 2" thick version of a table he had on his Etsy store. From his point of view it is a round table top without the legs.
                    @ArcSwivel
                    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• BagBoy
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jan 2018

My board surface is just plain stained pine and I need to do something (abooot) about that. I'm a resin novice. Are they all created equal??

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• rdshackleford
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Oct 2016

G-town does legendary work upon a shitty plywood drum surface. To quote Rocky, it's not about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit..., wait bad reference. IMO the platform and drum does not add to your ability as much as it does add to your enjoyment of your pastime.
                        @ArcSwivel
                        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• BagBoy
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Jan 2018

G-town does legendary work upon a shitty plywood drum surface. To quote Rocky, it's not about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit..., wait bad reference. IMO the platform and drum does not add to your ability as much as it does add to your enjoyment of your pastime.
                          The surface is a solid piece - not plywood but I want it shiny! Shiny makes me better.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• UK mark
                            • Nov 2018

I didn't do any of it. I found a guy on Etsy who makes epoxy resin tables and asked if he would make a 26" round x 2" thick version of a table he had on his Etsy store. From his point of view it is a round table top without the legs.
                            So a question...does having it encased in epoxy resin create a harder surface on the drum ?
                            as if the tree trunk I have is from a softwood tree and I encased it in epoxy resin am I guessing it would do the same ? If you know what I mean

Comment

• rdshackleford
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Oct 2016

Yes, the epoxy is a very hard surface. Also the resin is very heavy. It probably depends on how much epoxy resin is used around the wood. You have to take care while drilling, it can chip. I chose to embed brass threaded inserts so I would not need thru holes on the bottom of my platform. It mounts to the top side only. Very nice.
                              @ArcSwivel
                              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...