• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

hybrid Everlast swivel?

Saw this curious Everlast swivel on eBay. Appears to have an injection molded plastic flange mount and metal housing and ball. Anyone ever see one of these? Listing says it was never used, and it probably will sell pretty cheap.

@ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic
  • Mickey Dix
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jul 2019

Interesting find . I have never seen that swivel before with the plastic flange.

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Yes, that is one of the hybrid ones that came on the market not long after the firm was sold.. Don't know exactly what the rationale for the nylon flange, other than possibly it was less expensive to produce than the original cast metal one. Also as I recall this is the era when they started to chrome plate the metal part of it , and the issue with it flaking off with use surfaced. These were on the market for maybe two years tops as I recall, replaced with the all plastic ball and hook swivel. A number of our members in that time period played around trying to improve on it. This led to the DeVille swivels as well as Jump Cannon's Evil swivels, as there was no suitable replacements available during that time period

Comment

• BagBoy
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
        Saw this curious Everlast swivel on eBay. Appears to have an injection molded plastic flange mount and metal housing and ball. Anyone ever see one of these? Listing says it was never used, and it probably will sell pretty cheap.

I received that exact setup with one of my 4200's. I spray painted the black plastic to match the metal ball housing. I don't use it but it looks like one more old Everlast metal swivel in my collection. One thing puzzles me with all those old Everlast's, not one of the hooks is the same. I have five ball hooks and they are all different. Some are like they were made for a very narrow loop and others I can get a Cleto on.. of course all the chain links are the same.
        Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

When Everlast was still in New York they relied upon small (ish) machine shops to produce the swivels, the stamped metal economy , the ball & hook and the roller chain link ones. While the brand was known in professional and institutional circles, it wasn't a household name, so the actual production levels were not very high, compared to what they became after the firm was sold and most of the manufacturing was sent overseas. The early years the shops bent and fabricated the hooks. Later they were able to obtain assemblies from outside suppliers for less than what they could do it. It appears that when the work went overseas that their started to be a lot a variances in the configuration of the hooks themselves.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...