• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

Modest Vintage Player

There is a new player in town, Modest Vintage Player. At first I thought MVP was just nice leather athletic goods for man caves. But the speed balls looked really nice. Yep, speed balls, MVP is in New Zealand. When I saw the red, white & blue bag I thought it was a perfect match for my Arc Pro swivel. The specs looked good, and it was only $40 plus shipping so what the hell. The shipping was only $12 via DHL Express. The bag arrived from New Zealand in an incredible 2 days!

According to my measurements, the specs are 9.5" x 6.5", 6.7oz inflated with orange latex bladder.

Very good shape. The belly is a low which adds to the heaviness, but adds control in general. It punches very similar to the Cleto in many ways. It has the same slappy punch nature you get with the Cleto. The loop, IMO, is better than the Cleto. The Cleto has a godzilla hook that is stronger and less flexible than a 20 year old Twizzler. Sure the thick loop will last forever, but for bible bagging, it hinders. It is better to have a flexible loop that lets the bag go where it wants to go. The leather is more supple and grabs the nuckles more than the cleto (good or bad?). But the plain single-stitch seams are well made and easy on the hands.

They have several other colors, all quite beautiful.

@ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic
  • Mickey Dix
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jul 2019

I had seen this bag over the summer as I was looking for bags to link up with the arcswivel pro. My thought was the same as Rustys more of an ornamental piece.Now with the lower price and a good review I will place my order. Thanks Rusty.

Comment

• rdshackleford
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2016

Tell them ArcSwivel sent you.
      @ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Mickey Dix
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jul 2019

I put that I was sent to site by arcswivel. Thanks

Comment

• BagBoy
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jan 2018

On the site right now and that black n tan bag is singin' to me. But I don't want to buy it for looks.. looks like fine leather though.

Rusty, how's the bounce/response with the bag you have?
          Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• rdshackleford
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2016

The bounce/response is practically identical to the Cleto, except for two things. The flexible loop makes the hits a little more accurate for me, but that does not necessarily mean it will be for you. The other diff I noticed was the feel on the knuckles was a little more solid and grabby. This could be a very good thing for baggers better than me (which is most).

Make no mistake, this is not an air bag. The weight is 191 grams and there is a feel to the punch, and you can get a workout. I think the really unique quality of this bag is the shape. No other currently made bags have that old school teardrop shape with a round belly. Unlike a banana bag, you can get on top of this bag when you need to. And you would have a hard time hitting too low.
            @ArcSwivel
            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• BagBoy
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Jan 2018

Ahh, oh well that helps. I think I'll take the plunge. thank you!

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Cazbag
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Sep 2018

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                The Cleto has a godzilla hook that is stronger and less flexible than a 20 year old Twizzler. Sure the thick loop will last forever, but for bible bagging, it hinders. It is better to have a flexible loop that lets the bag go where it wants to go.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20191212_174546.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	117494

I couldn't agree more, especially within the first year of having my Cleto. The loop was unforgiving as well as my aim being too low. During that time I subjected that seemingly indestructible loop to all sorts of barbaric torture as I tried to break it in, and finally adjusted my aim slightly. Perhaps the perfect combination of both lead to my being able to finally hit the mini Cleto with success a year after acquiring it. Then paired with the Arc 1 Xmas ago it went from a frustrating bag to one that I couldn't miss. Keep feedback coming in these New Zealand beauties, on my to get list I think.(ever growing)

Comment

• BagBoy
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jan 2018

I just ordered the Black n Tan bag. It took me 15 minutes to decide between that one or the regular tanned bag. By God those things are beautiful. If I like the one I get I'll pick up a back up in the tan.
                  Going to my wife's staff party tomorrow night where I'll no doubt enjoy a black n tan in a frosted mug.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• rdshackleford
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Oct 2016

One other important feature I forgot to mention. The bottom of the bag has an old school soccer ball panel, single stitch inverted seam like the others, an NO NIPPLE!

@ArcSwivel
                    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• BagBoy
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jan 2018

I wonder if that's going to be a problem for an eventual bladder swap. I'm thinking not? Is it holding air well Rusty? or too early to tell.. Cleto bladders need air constantly or at least mine seemed to until I swapped them all out.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Mickey Dix
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Jul 2019

Name:	5382DD40-099B-40C4-B078-6D56A5018468.jpeg
Views:	838
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	117648 I received my M.V.P. speedball from New Zealand, took only 3 days to arrive.I am impressed with the attention to detail and quality craftsmanship.Love the shape and the feel of the soft leather.The loop seems very flexible also. Everything Rusty mentioned about this bag is right on target.I believe the bladder swap out should be ok because of the big lacing area.

Comment

• BagBoy
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Mickey Dix View Post

Name:	5382DD40-099B-40C4-B078-6D56A5018468.jpeg
Views:	838
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	117648 I believe the bladder swap out should be ok because of the big lacing area.
                          Are you planning on swapping out the bladder right away or do you mean when it requires a change?

Mine'll arrive in the next few days.. C'mon Santa let's go already!!!

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Mickey Dix
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Jul 2019

I mean when I have to change it . Not sure how the nipple fits in the bag. I guess I’ll find out down the road.

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Jun 2019

This I really like this bag. I don’t foresee ever changing the bladder. I really like how the bag reacts. Here is a quick clip messing around with it the day it arrived....

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...