• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Not Ready for Prime Time

I borrowed a video camera from work on Friday and I just taped myself. WOW, talk about a humbling experience!! I can sure see a lot of mistakes, both technical and rhythmic.

I was going to re-video, but I was afraid I would get worse.

Here it is.

Actually watching youself on video is a great way to see the mistakes you are making. And I saw quite a few.
  • ukspeedbag
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Bif I have the same problem as you. Watching myself is real educational. lol

I notice you making the same mistake as me with your S,D,P, combinations.
    Alan Kahn made a video to correct this which has worked wonders for me.
    Demonstrating some Double Punch combinations from the Front, Back and Sides for a member of speedbagforum.com

I might have a go at making another video tomorrow.

Vini

Comment

• metaldad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2007

Biff you look fine to me. You may not be super fast but your linking is definitely good. Check out the video like Uk said. One more thing.......You ever get claustrophobic in your space?
      Last edited by metaldad; 05-04-2008, 04:57 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

• Biff
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
        .......You ever get claustrophobic in your space?

It's even tighter than it shows on the video. I moved the refrigerator (which is on the extreme right) out of the way so that I could get the video taken. Normally, the fridge is immediately to the left of the speed bag platform.

So, yes, I do feel claustrophobic. It's realy tough to throw elbows when you hit the weight machine or fridge!

Once I get the garage the way I want it, I'll have more room.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Biff View Post
          I borrowed a video camera from work on Friday and I just taped myself. WOW, talk about a humbling experience!! I can sure see a lot of mistakes, both technical and rhythmic.

I was going to re-video, but I was afraid I would get worse.

Here it is.

Actually watching youself on video is a great way to see the mistakes you are making. And I saw quite a few.
          Actually, I would say you're doing great in many areas. Position is mostly excellent. Great linking and split fist work. Nice Front Fist Rolling to linking, nice rhythm and consistent beat. All in all Great mix of techniques. I didn't really see or hear that many "mistakes" which usually make you break down ( have to start over). But I can make a few suggestions for improvement.

Try linking your lead (1st) first off the Front Double Punches (FDP). You are doing the second fist great, but I didn't notice a lead fist pass through.
          * remember, on a FDP, you have 3 linking options. (1) lead fist, (2) second fist (3) both fists. Each one will offer a slightly different variety, so I suggest you become comfortable with all three.
          The "lead fist" #1 linking will always be the same fist. The "second fist" #2 linking will always rotate the fist that goes through. "Linking both" #3 will usually keep them in the very same position.. (until your learn to rotate them on either side of the bag with advanced control. don't worry about that now) This linking will soon open up hundreds of new combo's. Trust me on this. One of the best kept secrets of the speed bag is understanding the possibilities this opens - as you'll soon see.

second, Start working a little more control from the Reverse Position, particularly the Reverse Double Punch (RDP). Starting with both fists behind the bag, work the same 3 linking options as mentioned about (1) lead fist (2) second fist ( 3) both fists.

third, flatten out your Outward Triple Elbow Strike (OTES) movement a bit. Looks like you're raising your arms up a bit high on that, which is OK but not necessary. at :50-53 you do four of them and I think the problem is you let both hands finish very low after the technique clears the bag, and then make a large circular shoulder move to bring them back up. The last fist of the technique will be the lead arm for the returning elbow, and it will be easier if you do do not drop it way down after that last fist hits. actually, after it hits the bag as the 3rd part of the technique, just keep that fist up and let is travel over to the start position under the opposite ears. With a little torso turn, that will put your "outward elbow" direct in the center of your chest, pointing at the bag, and ready to go with no other movement. You look like you're having to reposition your arm back up from the low finish. One way to correct that low hands finish is to link a fist(s) off the OTES.
          ** The OTES is nothing more than a FDP with a leading elbow. There are three parts (that is why I called it "triple"). After the elbow connects, you have two parts remaining, and that is a FDP. At that point you have the same 3 linking options as mentioned above. Biff, You already link a second fist off the FDP very nicely, so do the same thing from the OTES - it's the very same move.

Also, remember you can also go to the OTES from a RDP. the second fist of the RDP will be the arm that leads the OTES from the front.
          Fourth, work on reducing the "windshield wiper" movements on the Side Double Punch (SDP). Use the same elbow and arm position as the Front Fist Roll (FRoll). You should not have to flag your arms and body side to side.
          I tried to explain that here. Hope it helps.

All things considered, you are doing great for only 3 months of baggin.
          Last edited by Speedbag; 05-04-2008, 11:05 PM.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• SpeedBagSkunk
            Speed Bag Skunk doesn't need a title, you already know

• Oct 2006

GREAT biff

i have to say biff i believe that was a great routine you busted out. for 3 months of punching i believe your being too modest lol. keep up the great work my friend. i would say more but alan has took uop the HOLE forum telling you exactly what you need to do lol good work alan

Comment

• Roc Stone
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2007

Nothing wrong with that.
              sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• metaldad
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Biff View Post

It's even tighter than it shows on the video. So, yes, I do feel claustrophobic. It's realy tough to throw elbows when you hit the weight machine or fridge!

there's benefits to evrything, i'm guessing you get a good feel for fighting in close.
                sigpic

Comment

• Tim
                  Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  Actually, I would say you're doing great in many areas.

All things considered, you are doing great for only 3 months of baggin.
                  Ditto ... very good for only 3 months. Be careful not to hit your hands on the wall

Nice alternating O-TES... I love that move

Comment

• Biff
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Thanks guys for the words of encouragement. I tend to be pretty critical of myself. I guess I compare my skills against Alan, Skunk and others; and I'm obviously not in their league.

Alan, thanks for the great evaluation; I'll work on the suggestions you made. I do have problems with reverse rolling, anything over 3 or 4 punches and the "clanks" start.

The elbows are going to be a problem until I re-arrange the garage. I'm sandwiched between the fridge and the weight machine. It only took one time before I felt the metal frame of the weight machine! I learned real quick that I had to duck the elbow.

I saw your video on SDP and I thought I had it down pretty good, but after watching the video there is a lot of "wiper" movement. I work on that as well.

I hope to post another video at 6 months and you guys can critique my progress then. Again, thanks to everyone.

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jan 2008

Looking good Biff

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...