• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ukspeedbag
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

New video

Thanks to Tim's video posted on you tube.

FDP '' RDP '' SDP '' SDPAs described in the Speed Bag Bible by Alan Kahn. Pages 114-115 of the 4th printing (chapter is Sideways Striking Techniques)

I have given the FDP RDP SDP SDP a go. Still a bit scaty but, honestly only when the camera is on me. I get these moments where I hit great, tell the missus to get recording and it all goes to 'pot'.

Watched Tim Platt's video last weekend, so gave it a try.
    Last edited by ukspeedbag; 04-13-2008, 11:23 AM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

It all looks pretty good. VERY nice split fist transitions :13 - :26. quick and efficient. On the Side Double Punch (SDP) ' ' SDP you seem to still be using a bit of a "windshield wiper" body sway, mostly due to your elbows being a bit low on this combo. the only thing you can do with low elbows is to sway the whole arm, torso, sideways to arc them into the bag. this makes for an inconsistent contact. Not a big deal at medium speeds, but when you start cranking at full speed, it will be very difficult to get out of to other areas of the bag.

But you are really improving. Nice consistent rhythm.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ukspeedbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

Thanks Alan for the advice. I'm gonna concentrate on my SDP's for the next week or so.
      Watch out for an improvement!

Cheers

Vini

Comment

• Roc Stone
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2007

honestly only when the camera is on me... Then it all goes to pot

Ya! Know what you mean... How long you been hittin 4?
        sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• toolboxdiver
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jan 2008

Looks great, keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing more.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2007

Thanks gent's.

I've had the set-up for about 5 months. Due to the winter months and dark evenings, I had about 2 months without using it and only got it out 2 weekend's ago. Thing is it's outside and my neighbours have just had another baby. I only ever hit between 11am-6pm to avoid any problems. The advantage of having it outside is, we spend lot's of time out there when the weathers good, so all day hitting for me. This weekend the missus was gardening and mowing the lawn while I was on the speed bag. Oh, she can hit the speed bag too but, won't let me film her.

Anyway, gonna get lot's of practice in now. My SDP's need alot of correction so need to work on this.

Thanks for all the comment and stuff.

Vini

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
              Thanks gent's.

I've had the set-up for about 5 months. Due to the winter months and dark evenings, I had about 2 months without using it and only got it out 2 weekend's ago. Thing is it's outside and my neighbours have just had another baby. I only ever hit between 11am-6pm to avoid any problems. The advantage of having it outside is, we spend lot's of time out there when the weathers good, so all day hitting for me. This weekend the missus was gardening and mowing the lawn while I was on the speed bag. Oh, she can hit the speed bag too but, won't let me film her.

Anyway, gonna get lot's of practice in now. My SDP's need alot of correction so need to work on this.

Thanks for all the comment and stuff.

Vini
              Actually, Your SDP only need a little correction - of the arm positions. Do a Front First Roll, and use that same arm position for the SDP. It's easier than you think....
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                Actually, Your SDP only need a little correction - of the arm positions. Do a Front First Roll, and use that same arm position for the SDP. It's easier than you think....
                Thanks Alan.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
                  Thanks Alan for the advice. I'm gonna concentrate on my SDP's for the next week or so.
                  Watch out for an improvement!

Cheers

Vini
                  I made a video on SDP combo's that may help you.

I hope so anyway.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Nov 2007

I hope so anyway.
                    Thank-you very much Alan. That explains things just perfect. I'll have to practice infront of a mirror, lot's of rain in England at the moment so can't get out on bag.

Vini

Comment

• Kyle
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Nov 2006

I hope so anyway.
                      Another amazing video...Got one question for ya though. Okay for the most part i dont do a lot of side punching because i dont fully understand the concept. I am just so fascinated with the front, back and elbows so i usually work those techniques till i master them then move on to new one in that category. Anyways the thing that has confused me about side punching is the movement of the bag. Is it more on a diagonal rather than perpendicular to the front of the board?
                      ________
                      StylePepper
                      Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:40 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Big_Nesticles View Post
                        Another amazing video...Got one question for ya though. Okay for the most part i dont do a lot of side punching because i dont fully understand the concept. I am just so fascinated with the front, back and elbows so i usually work those techniques till i master them then move on to new one in that category. Anyways the thing that has confused me about side punching is the movement of the bag. Is it more on a diagonal rather than perpendicular to the front of the board?

The exact rebound angles are hard to say, for they can vary slightly, and seem to do that more on side punching. I think it depends on where the fist comes from when it hits the side, but I find the bag has more of a frontward angle after a "normal" side contact. By that I mean, If I purposely "drag" my side arm straight across my body I can force the bag to rebound exactly sideways. But normally, and in this video, I did not do that, so the side contact actually makes the bag angle toward the front of the board slightly.

But if you keep the correct stance position, move your hands correctly on a straight plane and Get the timing right - the rebound angles will take care of themselves. I have found if you make the right movements the bag does exactly what it is supposed to do. Remember, you have very little control of the "bag" itself, you can only control "your" movements. The swinging bag spends very little time on your hands, so your best bet on control is getting your movements as clean as possible. When you do that, you will be amazed at how obedient it is.

(most of the time)
                        Last edited by Speedbag; 04-16-2008, 08:24 PM.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kyle
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Nov 2006

Awesome i get what your saying and thanks for the quick response im going to try that out today.
                          ________
                          Sunset Boulevard Residence Condo
                          Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:40 AM.

Comment

• dax_q
                            • Jan 2008

Alan,
                            I am with Nesticles on this one. I made the mistake of trying to hit both side punches sideways. After watching your video, I see that the lead side punch hits the bag diagonal and the second punch hits the bag sideways. I am going to go and work on that.
                            Thanks alot,
                            Dax

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...