• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Rock Steady Boxing today

MsDeville sent me this link, a news video clip with Lesley Stahl whose husband is enrolled in a Rock Steady Boxing program:

CBS News Streaming Network is the premier 24/7 anchored streaming news service from CBS News and Stations, available free to everyone with access to the internet.

When we first learned of Rock Steady Boxing they were a small outfit in Indianapolis. Now their program has spread bringing improved health to many more living with Parkinsons. And thanks to someone else here who I don't recall at the moment, Rock Steady Boxing receives a small donation with most purchases I make on Amazon. You can sign up here:

Bag on!
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
    MsDeville sent me this link, a news video clip with Lesley Stahl whose husband is enrolled in a Rock Steady Boxing program:

CBS News Streaming Network is the premier 24/7 anchored streaming news service from CBS News and Stations, available free to everyone with access to the internet.

When we first learned of Rock Steady Boxing they were a small outfit in Indianapolis. Now their program has spread bringing improved health to many more living with Parkinsons. And thanks to someone else here who I don't recall at the moment, Rock Steady Boxing receives a small donation with most purchases I make on Amazon. You can sign up here:

Bag on!
    It was a great story on CBS. It is growing every month!
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Eric
      • May 2014

Cbs

Very good story Alan !!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Here is the video from CBS

Nearly one million Americans are affected by Parkinson's disease, for which there is no cure. But there is a new program using professional boxing techniques...

Alex and Roberta also came to the SB-VI gathering in July 2015. They would love to have more of the speed bag community involved. Here are his locations

Attached Files
        Last edited by Speedbag; 11-12-2015, 07:44 PM.
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

How did you get the Rock Steady Boxing Houston t-shirt Alan? How did Alex and Roberta find out about the SB-VI event?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

How did you get the Rock Steady Boxing Houston t-shirt Alan?
            I got the RockSteady Houston boxing shirt when I went to their grand opening in Houston June 13 2015 and did a short speed bag demo for them. I also ordered a few RSB shirts from the national office some time ago.

How did Alex and Roberta find out about the SB-VI event?
            They have been active in the Rock Steady movement for a while and I have been supportive of the openings of their programs in LA and NYC, having also communicated with him via messaging. I have sent them some links to research concerning the repetitive beat sound and rhythmic potentials of the speed bag as it relates to the area of the brain that is affected by Parkinson's disease, ie...same area that is vital to the interpretation and reaction to rhythm is also the area affected by Parkinson's.

such as

Perception of musical rhythms is culturally universal. Despite this special status, relatively little is known about the neurobiology of rhythm perception, particularly with respect to beat processing. Findings are presented here from a series of studies that have specifically examined the neural ba …

Humans often synchronize movements to the beat, indicating that motor areas may be involved in detecting or generating a beat. The basal ganglia have been shown to be preferentially activated by perception of rhythms with a regular beat (Grahn and Brett, 2007), but their necessity for beat-based rhy …

and many more.... as you probably know from past posts, I'm a bit fanatical about my belief of the unique repetitive beat capabilities of the speed bag. There is a lot of research going on that uses repetitive, metronomic beats in movement disorder research and I believe the speed bag should be included. oh well..., not yet but I'm hopeful someone will pick up on that. The Rock Steady boxing program is the closest program so far and you will notice that all their programs include a speed bag use...

During our discussions (texts, emails) I told him about the gathering in New Jersey and since they live in NYC it would be great for them to show up and meet some of the amazing speed baggers as well as expand their bagging knowledge. They are amazing folks and I'm thrilled they took the time to attend. I would encourage all baggers to check their local areas and IF there is a RSB program close, go down and get involved.

Big SpdyTommy T was going to attend their boxing camp in 2014 and become and instructor last summer, but I think "life" got in the way.....
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...