• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hispanicmakingpanic
    • May 2007

Boxing vs MMA

To further carry the discussion....
    After his recent split-decision win over "Golden Boy" Floyd Mayweather was asked his opinion on MMA fighters. He went on to state that most if not all MMA combatants were susceptible to the skills of a top notch boxer. Having heard this and feeling betrayed by his supposed friend, Dana White, president of the UFC issued Floyd a challenge. Basically the UFC was ready to make a very competitive offer to FMJ to fight it's 155 champ Sean Sherk. Floyd later retracted his comments and apologized publicly for his comments. I think Floyd's style is the worst to take into the octagon. Not to mention Sherk is a world class wrestler built like a tree stump. I am aware of the possibility of a mayweather clinic as well. Opinions?
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

i herd about that and i agree pretty much anyone in that 155 division is top notch and have been doing MMA for a long time. FMJ doesnt stand a chance in the octagon.
    ________
    Avandia Lawyer
    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:27 AM.

Comment

• ronaldo
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • May 2007

Hi, first of all I haven´t watched floyd vs oscar, any ideas where I can watch this fight? I know that floyd won but I heard he was running away all the time. I wanna see the fight. Mayweather´s training videos are pretty impressive. I saw him being very disrespectful to Oscar and I didn´t like his cockiness, however I think he is a good fighter.
      Any top of the line MMA fighter would own mayweather under K-1 rules or UFC rules. Tyron SPonge and Wanderlei Silva are some of my favorite MMA fighters, they would K.O. floyd mayweather for sure and my money is always on my man Tyroon Sponge

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

If I was FMW, I'd stay away from the octagon, and if a cross-art fight was needed, try to get the MMA in the boxing ring. In the boxing ring, with boxing rules, Floyd might have an advantage. In the Octagon, he's in over his head.

Kind of like swimming with sharks. I'll fight a 20 foot white shark on land anytime. Using Floyds style, I'll dance around him till he quits moving, - than beat the crap out of his tail.

but I ain't fightin' him in the water. That's his ring, not mine.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
          • May 2007

Boxer's per say have not fared well in MMA. In the first UFC a cruiserweight by the name of Art Jimmerson made boxers look bad when he went into the octagon against Royce wearing a boxing glove on only his left hand. He was quickly taken down and tapped when Royce mounted him. On the other hand, Royce was dominant until foes learned Jiu Jitsu and take down defense. The Gracie family had a system of striking that was really a slap to close in and herd foes, and a front kick that served as a jab and created a setup for the shoot. Soon the Gracies began to get left behind by a rapidly evolving sport. Expert strikers like kickboxing legend Maurice Smith were slowly taking over. The point I'm trying to make is that through all the history of NHB/MMA the only constant is change.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by hispanicmakingpanic View Post
            Boxer's per say have not fared well in MMA. In the first UFC a cruiserweight by the name of Art Jimmerson made boxers look bad when he went into the octagon against Royce wearing a boxing glove on only his left hand. He was quickly taken down and tapped when Royce mounted him.
            I remember that fight. The one glove thing was idiotic. If I remember right, that was also the night a giant sumo wrestler got his front teeth kicked out by the skinny Savate champion. Bill "superfoot" Wallace was at ringside as a guest announcer.
            Last edited by Speedbag; 06-03-2007, 11:22 PM.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
              • May 2007

That's exactly right. It was also the first encounter of the Gracies vs the Shamrocks when Royce defeated Ken by Gi choke. Ken argued the stoppage so royce jumped right back on him and forced him to tap verbally. That would be the beggining of MMA's first and longest standing feud. By the way speedbag, do you remember a guy by the name of "Judo" Gene Lebell? He was a Judo champion in the 60's and was the first, along with Milo Savage a top ten LHW, to fight in a MMA fight. The fight was in 1963 and I've seen clips of it. Milo's corner, aware that Lebell would hold the advantage in clinches and throws, equipped Savage with brass knuckles to even out the odds. Lebell went into the bout unaware of this and quickly secured a clinch in the start of the fight. Lebell used his gi for better grip and leverage and secured a headlock. Savage punched repeatedly at Lebell's body and with one punch tore Lebell's black belt, which is extremely tough to do with a knife let alone a punch. Lebell realizing that his life was in danger quickly secured a choke and held on ignoring the refs attempts to stop him. When he did let go he stood over a lifeless Savage and was pelted with bottles and cans from the angry crowd. Once in the safety of the dressing room he realized that no one could bring Savage back to consciousness and panic was brewing. Lebell quickly returned to the ring amidst the curses and peltings and proceeded to apply a special technique to revive Savage. He litterally saved the man's life who was trying to end his.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

NO, I have not seen that video or heard the story. very interesting.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ronaldo
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

Kind of like swimming with sharks. I'll fight a 20 foot white shark on land anytime. Using Floyds style, I'll dance around him till he quits moving, - than beat the crap out of his tail.

but I ain't fightin' him in the water. That's his ring, not mine.
                  LOL

HIspanicmakingpanic, those are some sweet fights you are talking about. I wish I had seen some of those. All I can watch on my tv is k-1 world max Japan, and muay-thai fights which are really good. But I wish I could watch live UFC, and some live good boxing fights only top of the line world class boxing.

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
                    • May 2007

Fights

Well Mr. Rolando ask and ye shall recieve. I have a big collection of MMA fights, including most of the UFC's, almost all the Pride events(mi favorito), some boxed sets of King of the Cage, and several documentaries on MMA. I also have 2 DVD's of Master's of the Cage which is a local MMA event I was going to enter (pulled out due to knuckle laceration). If boxing is your cup of tea I have just about every big fight going back to DLH vs Trinidad. I also have the Ali vs Marciano computer fight, a documentary on Mexican fighters entitled Champions Forever, and Roy Jones Jr.'s Knockouts and Power Shots dvd's. I own all the Ultimate Fighter reality shows dubbed on VHS. I also own some classics I ordered on VHS; Leonard Duran 1, Mercer Morrison, Hagler Hearns, Hearns Duran, Cuevas Duran, and my favorite, a sparring match in Culiacan featuring Chavez in his prime vs a young DelaHoya on his way to turning pro. Much more escape me. If you like send me a message with your address and choices and I will try to mail you some.

Comment

• SupergeZ
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Mar 2007

thats a mighty collection of fights you got there my friend

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
                        • May 2007

Fight Library

Thanks Gez. That offer I made Ronaldo extends to you if you're interested.

Comment

• SupergeZ
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Mar 2007

thats a sweet offer man but i dont think it would be economical to post to the uk and back. could end up being quite a costly affair

thanks anyway

Comment

• Kyle
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by hispanicmakingpanic View Post
                            Well Mr. Rolando ask and ye shall recieve. I have a big collection of MMA fights, including most of the UFC's, almost all the Pride events(mi favorito), some boxed sets of King of the Cage, and several documentaries on MMA. I also have 2 DVD's of Master's of the Cage which is a local MMA event I was going to enter (pulled out due to knuckle laceration). If boxing is your cup of tea I have just about every big fight going back to DLH vs Trinidad. I also have the Ali vs Marciano computer fight, a documentary on Mexican fighters entitled Champions Forever, and Roy Jones Jr.'s Knockouts and Power Shots dvd's. I own all the Ultimate Fighter reality shows dubbed on VHS. I also own some classics I ordered on VHS; Leonard Duran 1, Mercer Morrison, Hagler Hearns, Hearns Duran, Cuevas Duran, and my favorite, a sparring match in Culiacan featuring Chavez in his prime vs a young DelaHoya on his way to turning pro. Much more escape me. If you like send me a message with your address and choices and I will try to mail you some.
                            thats quite a collection. good for you. ive seen all of the UFCs, most of the pride (downloaded illegally shhhhhh) and most of the boxing mega fights. one of these days im gonna get a huge external hard drive strictly for fighting media.
                            ________
                            Dollface798
                            Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:28 AM.

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
                              • May 2007

It's all I watch anymore. I used to watch all the major sports especially basketball, which I play regularly. Now it's MMA almost exclusively. Boxing is still up there, but with the state of boxing as it is it's almost pushing fans toward MMA.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...