• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Miles Davis bagged

"He loved that entire scene," said Szwed, who wrote in his 2002 biography, "So What: The Life of Miles Davis," that Davis "skipped rope, did floor exercises, and worked the speed bag with bebop phrasing and triple-tongue rhythms."

Music Students Hit the Boxing Ring
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Paranday, I don't know how you find this stuff but your posting and speed bag finding are brilliant.

It doesn't surprise me that a musician such as Miles Davis would hear and utilze the triplet beat pattern of the speed bag, normally being hit from the front. And the recognition of the rhythm and flow of boxing, punching as a useful activity for musicians. What is heartening to me is seeing this finally graduating to curriculum inclusion in one, and hopefully more, music prep programs.

I think we need to email Professor Vandemark and congratulate him for his progressive insight, as well as enlighten him about the superior potential of the speed bag as a superior activity for rhythmic expression.

thanks, Paranday.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Paranday,

as suggested, we should email Professor VanDemark to broaden his knowledge and understanding about the rhyhtmic potential of the speed bag and punch drumming as art and musical expression. I did that with some links to several forum members punch drumming video's. Here is the answer:
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is absolutely amazing! Talk about speed bag virtuosi, I feel very humbled! I'd be delighted to receive your video and book, it sounds brilliant. I love the workout with the speed bag, but what I've just seen takes it to another level, bravo, bravo......

Many thanks for your letter and I look forward to sharpening my skills!

All the best,
      James VanDemark
      Professor of Double Bass
      Eastman School of Music
      26 Gibbs Street
      Rochester, NY 14604

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I suggest as a show of support for his progressive attempts to use the rhythmic activities of boxing and the speed bag with his students that as many forum members as can simply email him in support of his activities.
      It may help solidfy his belief in this, as well as the boxing gym that is allowing the students to come in and use the facility.

If we have an members anywhere close to the Eastman Music School, you might contact him and see if you could perhaps visit and even get to display your bagging ability or punch drumming with his students. Nothing beats a face to face demo, and maybe you'll get invited to teach. Stranger things have happened.

Is this a great place or what!

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ventanakaz
        any pics of miles davis hitting the bag. sure would be cool to see that...ralph
        not a picture, but another article

Miles Davis was a boxing Fan off of Boxinginsider.com
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Aug 2010

Sending an email to the Professor shortly!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          Paranday,

as suggested, we should email Professor VanDemark to broaden his knowledge and understanding about the rhyhtmic potential of the speed bag and punch drumming as art and musical expression. I did that with some links to several forum members punch drumming video's. Here is the answer:
          ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is absolutely amazing! Talk about speed bag virtuosi, I feel very humbled! I'd be delighted to receive your video and book, it sounds brilliant. I love the workout with the speed bag, but what I've just seen takes it to another level, bravo, bravo......

Many thanks for your letter and I look forward to sharpening my skills!

All the best,
          James VanDemark
          Professor of Double Bass
          Eastman School of Music
          26 Gibbs Street
          Rochester, NY 14604

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I suggest as a show of support for his progressive attempts to use the rhythmic activities of boxing and the speed bag with his students that as many forum members as can simply email him in support of his activities.
          It may help solidfy his belief in this, as well as the boxing gym that is allowing the students to come in and use the facility.

If we have an members anywhere close to the Eastman Music School, you might contact him and see if you could perhaps visit and even get to display your bagging ability or punch drumming with his students. Nothing beats a face to face demo, and maybe you'll get invited to teach. Stranger things have happened.

Is this a great place or what!

Paranday and AK, thanks for posting and advising us on this Prof's attempt to use speed bagging to improve Rhythm! I will send and email to encourage his efforts right now!
          Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Here's another article,

Eastman students benefit from boxing

Comment

• marsalone
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Feb 2012

Miles Davis did a boxer's workout. I remember reading about it in his autobiography, which is a great read by the way. He mentions hitting the speed and heavy bags, skipping rope and doing road work to stay fit and be able to take care of himself if he needed to.

Then he goes on to mention how he used his boxing skills when he knocked out Max Roach. Max Roach's wife cut Miles Davis' hair and someone told Max about Miles getting trim from Mrs. Roach and Max went to go beat down Miles but Miles boxing skills helped him slip a punch and knock out Roach. Obviously Max Roach was thinking of the other definition of trim, not the haircut one.

But Miles also talked of his love for boxing Sugar Ray Robinson and that he hired Red Garland not only because he was a good pianist but because he was former boxer and thought that Garland could teach him some stuff about boxing.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                ...i remember years ago seeing some old film of sugar ray robinson and IMO he's the best. past or present...ralph
                Yep. Everyone named "Sugar.." owes it to him.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...