• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

MRI Update

Last Tuesday I went for my MRI followup. In the L5/S1 section of my spine I have Shallow posterior subligamentous disc protrusion (Bulging disc). Which has been the cause of that pain I had been experiencing. It's mostly degenerative but manageable which means I gotta get rid of my gut and strengthen my core. There are a few other minor things going on, but nothing too serious as to require surgery.The cause could go all the way back to childhood supposedly and since I never played football in high school(ran track, wrestled and played soccer) that was ruled out. At least I know what the situation is and can take care of it!Thank God for decent insurance! And mostly for supportive friends! Thank you everyone!
    sigpic
  • novaspeedbagger
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2010

Glad to hear the good news! Gotta work on my core as well my man. Back in the day I sported a six pack. Now I'm toting a keg around with me. LOL!
    Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
      Glad to hear the good news! Gotta work on my core as well my man. Back in the day I sported a six pack. Now I'm toting a keg around with me. LOL!
      ...sucks getting old doesn't it? It's a constant battle. Glad to hear you know what you have to do Metaldad. Hang in there.
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• fingers
        Speed Bag Guru
        • May 2008

MD! glad you now know what you are dealing with! it will help you sort it out!

core training eh! i can see some heavy duty workouts in your future! stay well my friend.

Comment

• metaldad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
          Me too!! I was starting to look like Curly in that Three Stooges episode where they were brewing their own beer(we all put the yeast in!) and he hid the keg under his shirt when they got arrested! In my case I couldn't get away with saying it was goiter lol! Crunch and kettlebell city for me!

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
          ...sucks getting old doesn't it? It's a constant battle. Glad to hear you know what you have to do Metaldad. Hang in there.
          Thanks Zaza, it may suck to get old but I guess the harder we fight it, the worse it is eh? Father time is one onery bastard!

Originally posted by fingers View Post
          MD! glad you now know what you are dealing with! it will help you sort it out!

core training eh! i can see some heavy duty workouts in your future! stay well my friend.
          Thanks fingers! It's time to get cracking! I started doing 50 crunches every day(except Sat & Sun) when I wake up and 50 pushups. More rope skipping and leg raises and bodyweight squats(prison and hindu) and lots more heavy bag and double end bag when time permits. I also try to get in alot of kettlebell work and pullups which are kicking my ass, maybe cuz I weigh 195 could be the reason. That's a fair amount of weight to pull for reps! When I was in the Corps (almost 20 years ago) 20 pullups was nothing. But I also only weighted about 145-150 then! Now I'm back up to 10-12 reps for one set, as I do more, that number decreases drastically!Time and good living truly make you pay!
          Last edited by metaldad; 06-27-2011, 03:17 PM. Reason: spelling
          sigpic

Comment

• Vegas7
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Mar 2011

Hey Md
            Glad to hear NO Surgery Required...The rest you can deal with. Those back surgeries are no joke.
            And as far as it's a bitch getting old.... Rather not deal with the alternative yet!!!

Comment

• larted
              • Mar 2009

mD,
              Good news. You have a good plan and I know you will make it happen.
              Larry

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

MD, that's great news! I'm just so sorry you had to miss SB II. Maybe next year we can all meet up there.

Comment

• Roc Stone
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2007

I got me one of them too. It comes and it goes, depending on what I'm doing. You haven't got a sore back until you've had to lift yourself off the crapper seat to squeeze one out though.
                  An anti- inflammatory containing Ibuprofen should sort it out in a few days, Voltarin is a new one I've tried and Nurofen + is always good too.
                  You'll have to regulate the way you do things from now on in your daily routine. Getting in and out of that truck and driving it all day isn't so good for your posture, but I found (when I was doing it) by putting a rolled up towel/blanket between your lower back and the seat you can bolster and support your lower back better which will reduce the pain. In fact do this when ever you are sitting down.
                  A good part of pain management is recognising what is causing the pain. I've been in your situation. Supporting your lower back more and taking the anti- inflammatories (when pain is chronic) is the quickest remedy and get in and out of the truck a little slower
                  sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• speedbag4life
                    • Jun 2007

Hey MD, glad to hear your pain can be managed without surgery! Sounds like this sciatica may be a blessing in disguise. I'm sure you'll be in fine form by the time SBIII comes around!

Comment

• Over43
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jun 2011

Good luck to you. Back injuries are no good.

Comment

• metaldad
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Vegas7 View Post
                        Hey Md
                        Glad to hear NO Surgery Required...The rest you can deal with. Those back surgeries are no joke.
                        And as far as it's a bitch getting old.... Rather not deal with the alternative yet!!!
                        Thanks Vegas7 and remember, you're only as old as you feel lol!
                        Originally posted by larted View Post
                        mD,
                        ]Good news. You have a good plan and I know you will make it happen.
                        Larry
                        Yes sir you're right about that!
                        Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                        MD, that's great news! I'm just so sorry you had to miss SB II. Maybe next year we can all meet up there.
                        SBIII is on the horizon!
                        Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
                        I got me one of them too. It comes and it goes, depending on what I'm doing. You haven't got a sore back until you've had to lift yourself off the crapper seat to squeeze one out though.
                        An anti- inflammatory containing Ibuprofen should sort it out in a few days, Voltarin is a new one I've tried and Nurofen + is always good too.
                        You'll have to regulate the way you do things from now on in your daily routine. Getting in and out of that truck and driving it all day isn't so good for your posture, but I found (when I was doing it) by putting a rolled up towel/blanket between your lower back and the seat you can bolster and support your lower back better which will reduce the pain. In fact do this when ever you are sitting down.
                        A good part of pain management is recognising what is causing the pain. I've been in your situation. Supporting your lower back more and taking the anti- inflammatories (when pain is chronic) is the quickest remedy and get in and out of the truck a little slower
                        Thanks RS. I'LL give that a try

Originally posted by speedbag4life View Post
                        Hey MD, glad to hear your pain can be managed without surgery! Sounds like this sciatica may be a blessing in disguise. I'm sure you'll be in fine form by the time SBIII comes around!
                        I hope so!

Originally posted by Over43 View Post
                        Good luck to you. Back injuries are no good.
                        Thank you. No they aren't but I'm dealing with it.

Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement. It's a blessing that my issue is manageable and I don't need surgery or an abundance of pills. I guess all that's left is to get busy baggin'!
                        sigpic

Comment

• ExEODCDR
                          • Apr 2011

Rock on MD!
                          -
                          Owner/Operator
                          www.TheBlastingCabinet.com

LIKE on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/TheBlastingCabinet

Comment

• metaldad
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ExEODCDR View Post
                            Rock on MD!
                            Right on brother! Thanks!
                            sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...