Clear All
  • hammer6384
    • Dec 2010

Bruce Lee Plays PingPong

SpeedBag Hammer
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

That's Illegal, he didn''t use a paddle. He was playing Ping-Pong, not Nunchuka pong.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• hammer6384
      • Dec 2010

LOL! No kiddin. I aint never seen Bruce hit a speedbag. Recon he would be any good at it? lol.
      SpeedBag Hammer

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by hammer6384 View Post
        LOL! No kiddin. I aint never seen Bruce hit a speedbag. Recon he would be any good at it? lol.
        His student, Master Dan Insanto, wrote in one of his articles years ago that BL was amazing at the speed bag, hitting from all around with fists and elbows.

probably used a nunchaku also.

Never saw any video of him on it, though.
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Joe
          • May 2010

Is that for real??
          sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Joe View Post
            Is that for real??
            I can't find the article that he said that in, but he (Insanto) said Bruce was pretty amazing at it. Most likely hitting it from all directions while riding a lightning bolt blindfolded. You know, stuff of legend that can't be proved.

However a "Bruce Lee Quotes", under the topic "on sparring" he says: (..or they say he says)

"..The old-fashioned punching speed bag teaches you to hit straight and square; if you don't hit it straight the bag will not return directly to you. Besides learning footwork, you can hit the bag upward too. Another important function is that after the delivery of the punch, the bag will return instantaneously and this will teach you to be alert and to recover quickly. The bag should not be hit in a rhythmic motion but instead in a broken rhythm. Actually fight the bag as if it is your opponent."

and another article Bruce Lee's speed training, by Bruce Lee and M. Uyehara

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Speed Bag

Among the best equipment to develop speed and accuracy is the old -fashioned speed bag. To use the bag properly, you have to be quick with your hands. You also have to hit the target perfectly so the bag will bounce directly back to you.

In the beginning, use both hands to punch the bag and stand with your feet parallel but comfortably apart. Hit the bag straight, using your nose as the guiding point. The most valuable feature of the bag is that it compels you to hit directly and crisply so it returns to you sharply.

You cannot hit the bag if you punch from your hip; it takes too long to react. And you are liable to be hit in the face since your hands will not be able to protect your head from the oncoming bag
            +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

to be honest, this is not very enlightening information, showing little more understanding than that of a basic boxing workout.
            Particularly when you read: "You also have to hit the target perfectly so the bag will bounce directly back to you"
            Which is not correct for hitting the speed bag from all around ( fists and elbows from the front, back and sides) for the bag is bouncing all around the board at many different angles - not directly back at you. Sorry but I would have expected more insight than that from someone who was supposed to be an incredible master of the speed bag, ripping it to pieces from all sides. Hmmm .

Anyway, no video or film of him hitting the speed bag has surfaced that I've seen. I did hit the speed bag with my nunchaku's once, and then the speed bag hit me with the nunchaku's. So we both agreeded to put them down.
            Last edited by Speedbag; 03-13-2011, 11:24 AM.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Joe
              • May 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              I did hit the speed bag with my nunchaku's once, and then the speed bag hit me with the nunchaku's. So we both agreed to put them down.

Haha... thats one for the Forum Quotes Hall of Fame.
              sigpic

Comment

• 08speed3
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hammer6384 View Post
                cool!

Comment

• metaldad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2007

Definitely awesome stuff. Too bad it really isn't Bruce Lee. It was done for Nokia and as a tribute to Bruce. The Guy with the Nunchucks is a stunt double with amazing skills. .......Not saying Bruce couldn't do that though. He probably played hacky sack with nunchucks.
                  sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...